The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello!
    Here's my last video, playing the Allegro from Theme and Variations (Sonata for Violoncello and Piano, Op. 63) by Thomas de Hartmann, transcribed for the first time ever for two acoustic guitars.
    I use a 1961 Gibson L7, while Bert Lams plays one from 1946.
    We spent quite some time finding a good sounding ones, but I'm happy with the results.
    I hope you will like it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

2 L-7's played well !!

I noticed the '61 also has a thin p/u., but still with individual adjustable polepieces. What brand is that ?

And not to be that guy, but could you have meant '36 for the age of that other guitar ? I'm pretty sure Gibson didn't offer those fretmarkers in 1946.

Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Love it! Awesome performance!

User Info Menu

Lovely!

The fretboard inlays are not typical for a '46. Having said that, Gibson was digging through their inventory of parts in the middle '40s and did mix it up a bit! So, maybe!

User Info Menu

I loved seeing/hearing this video when you shared it to the L-7 Facebook group.

That said, Bert’s is almost certainly a pre-war early “advanced”, X-braced L-7. It’s not just the picture frame inlays, but also the headstock that is typical of that period. With Gibson one never knows, but that combination would be exceedingly unusual.

User Info Menu

That was great! I watched it twice and shared it. The guitar with the picture-frame inlays is definitely from the “Advanced” era, roughly 1936-39. I have a ‘38, although my fretboard and inlays were replaced long ago.
    Vintage Guitars Info - Gibson archtop vintage guitar collecting

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    2 L-7's played well !!

I noticed the '61 also has a thin p/u., but still with individual adjustable polepieces. What brand is that ?

And not to be that guy, but could you have meant '36 for the age of that other guitar ? I'm pretty sure Gibson didn't offer those fretmarkers in 1946.

Thanks for posting.
    Hi! I think it's a Ken Armstrong pickup. It was already installed by the previous owner.
    About the age: I think you're totally right! I'll ask Bert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrwoland
    Hi! I think it's a Ken Armstrong pickup. It was already installed by the previous owner.
    About the age: I think you're totally right! I'll ask Bert

Hello and thanks for the p/u info.

I also own a '36 L-7 w/those inlays, and it's probably my best sounding guitar !

Thanks again for the upload !

Dennis

User Info Menu

A great duo performance of an interesting piece!
    Lots of fun to watch and listen to.....Thanks!

And it shows the untapped and unsung musical versatility of many acoustic archtop guitars.....something I've always felt and appreciated.

(Helps me justify all the shapes and sizes I keep around)