The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 143 of 143

User Info Menu

Like it more all the time.

If you like Kenny Burrell's tone on Hustlin' that is what I am getting out of it with my 175.

Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm really liking my 101 reverb with my Gibson ES175 and Fender GB extension cab.......

User Info Menu

I still haven't heard anything to make me prefer the new Quilter over my DVMark Micro 50 head. Not knocking the Quilter, I had the earlier version and it was a fine amp. The DVMark just has exactly what I need.

User Info Menu

I agree. I tried both the Quilters, and couldn't get a sound I could live with from either. The Micro50 does.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I still haven't heard anything to make me prefer the new Quilter over my DVMark Micro 50 head. Not knocking the Quilter, I had the earlier version and it was a fine amp. The DVMark just has exactly what I need.
    Respectfully, Lawson's comments seem irrelevant because they don't relate to the 101 mini reverb, the amp in discussion. Apples and Oranges.

User Info Menu

Not quite apples and oranges. More like Granny Smith and Delicious. I tried both the Quilters, and found the sound to be very similar, no matter the settings. The Reverb model does have a reverb, of course, and has standard bass, mid, and treble tone controls, but the Quilter sound is still there. You get a little more control over the sound, but it's still Quilter. As far as I can tell, Quilter is targeted mostly at rock players, as are most amps. I sold the 101, and returned the reverb model, because after trying as hard as I could, for more time than it was worth, I simply couldn't get an acceptable tone from it. The seller admitted that they're getting a lot of returns, for just that reason. For a lot less money, the Micro50 is a much better jazz amp head, IMO. But it's your money, and your taste.

User Info Menu

I was getting some sounds I really liked and decided it was the 10 inch speaker I paired the head with that was holding my rig back. I need a 12.

I am sold on the Quilter thing and 20 pounds for the 12 inch Mach 2 combo I could not resist so have implemented there fantastic change over policy. At 20 pounds I do not need a small grab and go practice amp and a gig amp. I can't wait to have a tweed and blackface option in one box.

In conclusion the Mini Reverb is really good. It is loud enough with a 50 watt 10 inch speaker to gig with horns. The clarity of the sound was terrific. The tone is warm and fat, that reverb a bit full on and the tone controls very effective. The weight crazy, I think the power lead weighed more. Would love to have tried it with a 12 inch speaker but I like the ease of combo's as I am always running late and it is embarrassing trying to find leads etc with everyone watching with frustration.

User Info Menu

I finally got to try a 101 Reverb and a Pro Block 200 in the music store.
    I then tried a Roland Blues Cube Stage.
    The Quilters were not my cup of tea.
    The Stage for me was a plug in guitar,start playing and start smiling kind of amp.
    I'm very,very surprised but I'm going to get a Blues Cube Artist.
    To each their own.
    Find an amp that inspires you,that will do what you need it to do and carry on.

User Info Menu

I tried one over the weekend, also in a store, and was pretty impressed and almost bought it. It was going into a fender sealed 12 inch cab. The EQ section didn't quite operate the way I wanted--Quilter really seems determined to impose its own EQ curves. I had to roll the treble back to about 8 or 9 o'clock to get the sound I wanted, not unlike in the tim lerch video. But the gain knob worked well to add a bit of "hair" to the tone and the limiter works really well to emulate the compression of a tube amp. The reverb was a very good sounding spring type reverb.

I was pretty impressed--small, light, effective. The EQ controls still bothered me though. The store had a Henricksen jazzamp as well, and I plugged into that and right away there was a good sound, with the eq controls set flat, and controls worked in a way that made sense, while with the quilter I was kind of fighting the EQ.

I'd like to spend a little more time with it.

User Info Menu

Have you tried using the headphone jack as a line out for recording ? If so, how did it sound ?

User Info Menu

I was able to compare directly my Princeton (back from repairs again) to the Quilter. Whilst I now have the Mach2HD I have the sound set pretty much the same as I was getting from the Mini Reverb.

Have been craving the return of the Princeton (has a 70 watt Eminence Legend in it and vintage tubes) and was able to take it and the Quilter to rehearsals (8 peice band - drums bass, piano, trumpet, trombone, barisax, clarinet plus guitar). I had been thinking it all over for the Quilter experimentation it has a flat spot in the sound I had not deen digging playing at home but my house does not have carpet so it is hard to judge sound.

At rehearsals I started with the Princeton. Could not hear it then when it was audible it was this big fat undescernable sound. That is I am comping but can't distinguish the notes. Then when I solo it is ice picky as we know but missing highs and mids??? In the end my volume was on 6 and treble on 5 and it was not cutting it.

Swapped to the Quilter. WOW!

Clarity and cut. The band was in final prep for our gig and was now playing much louder but immediately I was being asked to turn down, it just cuts through. The tonal shape works so well in a band. You can hear the notes the individual strings of my chords, its thick enough and the extended top end is gorgeous. I got the nod from the band leader to improv and a beautiful sweet tone cut through. Bright warm and clear.

The tone shape and the conrols are such that if you were in a trio you could easily rescuplted the tone to make it fatter. I asked my son who was there, I asked the drummer, I asked the bass and it was unanimous that the Quilter kicked the Princeton out of the room.

The mini reverb head had pretty much the same sound when I took it to rehearsals as the Micro2HD on the surf setting.

User Info Menu

grab a ZT Lunchbox, or for a less colored tone the ZT Lunchbox Acoustic. both are maybe 5-7 lbs, 200 watts(maybe 130 rms), great tones. both use a single 6.5” speaker. ZT Amplifiers are amazing for jazz & clean tones

User Info Menu

Sounds like the Quilter 101 Reverb does the Fender job quite fine.

But the jazz guitar community all around the world is waiting to hear the answer to the second most important question about an ss amp: can it do the classic Polytone job?

User Info Menu

No, it can't. Or at least I couldn't get it to, after extensive efforts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    No, it can't. Or at least I couldn't get it to, after extensive efforts.
    Thanks, this makes my life a bit easier! I’ll stick with my a bit heavier Mini Brute.

Not too heavy actually. I just have to take the carrying as an exercise!

User Info Menu

Now that they've been out for a few years, I'm interesting of your assessment of the Quilter 101 Mini Reverb (the newer model with the traditional B M T tone controls). I've had one for a couple of years and was gigging regularly with it before the "plague" hit. I have it paired with a Raezer's Edge cabinet. Also, I just had George Alessandro hand wire my 2006 '65 Deluxe Reissue that was in need of some work. (It sounds incredible now! I posted pictures over The Gear Page forum along with the Alessandro's neodymium speaker I also got, if you're interested.) I also took advantage of the recent Musician's Friend sale and picked up a DV Mark Little Jazz.

So, last night, I set the three of them up on an A/B/C switch and for a couple of hours went between them with both my ES-175 and 335. I want to hear your comments, so I won't say too much except that I cannot believe how bright the Quilter was. I've always rolled off the treble on the Quilter, but I guess I've just been additionally compensating with the guitar's tone controls. What are your impressions? Do you think the Quilter is as bright and sterile as some say it is?

User Info Menu

Quilter 101 Mini Reverb-mr-watts-jpgI'm not much into using language to describe guitar and/or amp sound but I really like mine. I've used just about all the small heads (including the original 101 sans reverb - hated it (twice)). Gave this one a try when Sweetwater started carrying Quilter and have never looked back. To me, it ticks all the boxes. I pair it with a home built Ear Candy 'Mr. Watts' clone (8" Eminence Alpha) and, for my purposes, it sounds great with both my Teles and Godin Multiac Nylon. My second amp is an Evans RE200 (10") that works great if I need loud - usually I don't. Can't think of any negatives to the Quilter.

User Info Menu

To me, it boiled down to a battle between the 101R and DV Mark Micro 50. Quilter is half the weight and has a superior reverb. DV Mark offers a broader register and a darker, rounder tone. I prefer the latter, my pro clients Quilter, so the three 101Rs I imported quickly changed hands. There's a Problock and an Interblock still around.