The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

I'd say save a bit more money and keep an eye out for a used Collings Eastside Jazz LC which you can probably snag around $4K or maybe a touch under if you go non-Deluxe. Although the neck joint is higher than the fret you mention, if you move the upper strap pin (contact me if you ever get to the point of buying one) you can achieve the same ergonomics as a normal 14-fret-to-body archtop. I'm a fanatic about ergonomics and believe me, you can get these guitars to sit just as well as a normal archtop by moving the strap pin...easy job for a guitar tech to handle.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good info doesn't go stale like cigarettes, even though it may be a tobacco burst :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chp
    I think Eastman is a good suggestion. I’m a die hard vintage Gibson guy, and I have been really impressed with the Eastmans I’ve tried. I also have an Eastman mandolin that I really like.

Other options would be a Heritage 575 (solid top version of a 175!), or possibly even an early 70’s ES150D.

I used to own an 1969 ES150D….it is a 3 inch deep, fully hollow 335 style guitar. From the front it looks like a 335, but once you see how deep it is, you realize that it is a very different guitar. They are a bit brighter than a 335, but sound very good, and are reasonably priced compared to 335’s, 330’s, and 175’s of the same era. Some guy’s love them, some don’t.

User Info Menu

I had a ES 135 for a while & it was a lovely guitar in every respect -- except for those crappy P-100 pickups. It played so well, but I never could dial in the tone I was looking for.

I played a really nice ES 330 some years ago that I still fantasize about. I didn't buy it at the time because of $$ & I thought the neck was a bit thick & very small frets. But I'm pretty sure I would be happy with the neck now. But I let that one get away.