The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    Man, that thing is jarring to look at. It looks like some oddball 60s Japanese/Italian/German guitar that somehow survived unscathed all these decades. How very awesome that you managed to come up with your own thing. I keep scrolling back up to it and contemplating the negative space. Very cool indeed.

And between my les Paul and the epi LP special I learned on all those years ago that I dragged out of storage, I've been planking away on my planks like a planker. Quite enjoyable. Missed it.
    It's a bit of a mind bender that's right (or shall I say Fender bender). It's also probably only about 5lbs. No tremolo block. I carved a poplar piece to fit in the cavity. So it's a string through the body design. My goal was to see how light I could make it. It started out as chamberd, unfinished Warmoth body. I built a more traditional Strat initially. But I like this version better. Solidbodies have their magic, for sure.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Back in my teens, at a "battle of the bands" another band player had a powder blue Hagstrom 1 and a Reverb Rocket amp. From that day on I wanted one and never had an opportunity to snatch one.

User Info Menu

I've been having fun with this solidbody bad boy during covid. C24-Piezo. Especially splitting the mag and piezo pickups into two appropriate amps. I bought some roswood parts for it, including knobs with the birds inlays, that I lined up to act as level pointers.

Never Saw That Coming-prspiezo-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    So this is what this thread made me do. I went and played some tele's, I loved the tele neck pickup. I didn't buy a Tele but instead I ordered the most jazzy tele neck pick up I found (SD Alnico 2 model) and made this. A strat with only a Tele neck pickup. I doubt anybody has done this before. It looks and sounds amazing
    Is it a trick of light or is that jack reversed?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz
    Is it a trick of light or is that jack reversed?
    Good eye. Yes, it's reversed. See I use a strap even when I play sitting down most of the time to support a more upright body posture. Neck is at around 45 degrees angle (as it should) and the edge of the body rests on my upper thighs. I put the guitar caple through the strap so it's tucked away (among other reasons). But the normal orientation of the Strat input jack is such that if you put the cable through the strap, you're bending the caple at a sharp angle just as it leaves the jack. These sharp bends gradually destroy the cables by breaking the copper wires inside.

I tried this reverse jack orientation to see if putting the cable through the strap would be less awkward for the cable. I'm a nerd, I leave no stone unturned.

On that note, the body is French polished with shellac like how the old violin makers did their finishes.

All that took me only two days (including cutting a new pickguard), while I worked full time and practiced 2 hours a day. Viva Covid.

Has anybody tried the 35$ air pocket Amazon guitar strap? I bought one and like it ok. It might be a little wide but overall its very comfortable.I use it on a tele.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Good eye. Yes, it's reversed. See I use a strap even when I play sitting down most of the time to support a more upright body posture. Neck is at around 45 degrees angle (as it should) and the edge of the body rests on my upper thighs. I put the guitar caple through the strap so it's tucked away (among other reasons). But the normal orientation of the Strat input jack is such that if you put the cable through the strap, you're bending the caple at a sharp angle just as it leaves the jack. These sharp bends gradually destroy the cables by breaking the copper wires inside.

I tried this reverse jack orientation to see if putting the cable through the strap would be less awkward for the cable. I'm a nerd, I leave no stone unturned.

On that note, the body is French polished with shellac like how the old violin makers did their finishes.

All that took me only two days (including cutting a new pickguard), while I worked full time and practiced 2 hours a day. Viva Covid.
    I did that with one of my Strats once. I thought it looked pretty cool. I wasn't wrong.

User Info Menu

I've never played a Jazzmaster, but love the sound, I'm slightly afraid of being thought of as a hipster (kidding)
    i keep seeing the inexpensive J Mascis ones around