The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I really liked my old Tacoma AJ-22 set-neck -- when I got down to one guitar, that was the one. But eventually The Rash caught up to it and it left a couple of years ago. Enter this beauty:

Tight top. Striking burst. NO rash. None.

Nice back too:

The Tacoma archtops were a sweet model, 17" x 25.5" x 2 7/8", x-braced. If you long for an offset-soundhole archtop for about the cost of the Calton case there really aren't other choices.

Even the sides look nice. Did I mention, "NO rash?"

I bet that there are sonic nuances to the great offset archtops -- Ken Parker, Ribbecke, Andersen -- that the Tacoma can't touch. When you trade bespoke craft for CNC and modest handwork the outcome is predictable, even with really good wood. But since a Parker, Ribbecke or Andersen is not in the cards, I stop wondering, pick up the Tacoma and see what music comes out.

The EMG floater sounds much smoother than I remember. Maybe that's due to my recently-completed D'Lite 44 build, which actually does make all the children above average. Maybe I'm on honeymoon. Maybe I'm better at appreciating it now.

Thanks to Chris at Tall Toad Music in Petulama, CA for a pleasant, highly-accurate, smooth experience. C'mon back to Maine, Chris, when the fates allow!

Gotta play now . . .

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The rash?

User Info Menu

Tacoma guitars are notorious for finish peel. Great idea, bad and unlucky implementation:

User Info Menu

Congratulations, that's a beauty.

After the rash caught up with my PR12, Tacomas went off my list. They sound good, and in the case of the AJ series, look cool, but the rash seems to get most of them. I'm glad your AJ28 doesn't have it.

Cheers,
    Joe

User Info Menu

Sam, Congratulations. That is a BEAUTIFUL guitar. On every level. I experienced that sound hole position on a Ribbecke halfling and I’ve wanted one even since. Your guitar is tastefully done and ready for action buddy!
    I wish you much happiness with it. Make some beautiful music with it. I know you will.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Nice guitar! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Why the rash? Curious.

Couldn’t you sand it down and refinish it? Yes it would be some work, but if the guitar plays well?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Thanks to Chris at Tall Toad Music in Petulama, CA for a pleasant, highly-accurate, smooth experience. C'mon back to Maine, Chris, when the fates allow!
    Tall Toad is a great shop - it’s right in my backyard and I have done a fair amount of business with them (several guitars, a mandolin, a uke for my daughter, and all manner of accessories - even took some bass lessons there for a while). They fly a bit under the radar, but their acoustic inventory is really great - especially if you are a Martin or Taylor fan. Haven’t been inside for a few years now since moving out of the area for a while but we’re back in town. Since seeing your post I may have to stop in, say hello and peruse a bit.... (properly masked, of course ;-).

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar. I remember trying one when they first came out and being blown away. Every time I hear one, it strikes me as a really good bridge between a flattop and an archtop sound (best of both worlds, rather than a compromise between the two). IIRC, it was relatively expensive and I couldn't swing it at the time, but wish I had figured out a way [or maybe I dodged a bullet, because that was before the rash was a known thing]. Anyway, enjoy it.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Why the rash? Curious.

Couldn’t you sand it down and refinish it? Yes it would be some work, but if the guitar plays well?
    It's not easy. There's a lot of discussion of the rash on the Tacoma Guitar Forum: Tacomaguitarforum.com

User Info Menu

tacoma had some beauties!!

tall toad petaluma great old time shop..been around long time!! may they continue!

congrats & enjoy

cheers