The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

Just recently I picked up my Ibanez Artstar AF-200 again. I bought it in 1988, but I've been neglecting it for a few years...Shame on me.
    I find it an amazing guitar, with great playability, sound and looks.

About the looks: it is in a natural finish (NT), instead of the more common sunburst. When I bought it, I was told that there were only a few naturals, and only three shipped to Europe. I don't know if that's true, but I don't often see them on the web. Erik te Kamp posted one:

I actually have never see another one live, besides mine. Do you own one? And what's your opinion on this guitar?
    Here are some photos of my AF-200NT.
    Any who also has a Ibanez Artstar AF-200NT?-img_3159-jpgAny who also has a Ibanez Artstar AF-200NT?-img_3157-jpgAny who also has a Ibanez Artstar AF-200NT?-img_3158-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi....
    I have an AF200 in the sunburst. Absolutely the best jazz guitar (for me!!!) I’ve had. It keeps my L5CESN in its case. Very comfortable to play, fits in easily and even with the stock Super 58 I can get a warm tone by backing the neck pickup all the way down.
    Mine was the 2014 NAMM show guitar, bought via Rich at Ibanezrules.com. Handwritten interior label serial 0001 no less)))
    Yes it’s a thin neck. For my hands I can not understand why people favor thick necks. But I was taught to play thumb over On both the E and A strings so the thinness for me is a requirement.
    i did try a DiMarzio 36th anniversary pup in the neck but the Super 58 sounds and plays better. TI Jazz Swing flats. Walter Woods M100-8 into an EVM 12L in a Theil cabinet.
    dave

User Info Menu

I have the sunburst version as well. For a guitar that can be had for around $2000, the Ibanez (MIJ) AF200 is pretty nice! It's comfortable, sounds good and plays well.
    I am not a huge fan of the thin neck, and I didn't care for the tailpiece found on the newer ones (as you can see I've had mine modified with a Stephen Holst tailpiece), but the AF200 is a reasonable & cost effective alternative to the PM or GB series!

User Info Menu

i currently use a ibanez ak95. does anyone know what the difference is between the ak's en the af's?
    by the way, sounds good Jos!

User Info Menu

Check out the Ibanez fan wiki at https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/Portal:AK_models
    it appears in the current catalog the AK is no longer offered and blended into the AF line. Generally the AKs were made in China, about two years ago they moved to Indonesia. I have a Chinese AK 151 and an Indonesian AF95FM. Both excellent quality. The AF200 is made in Japan at Fujigen, it’s in a class by itself.

User Info Menu

By the way.... Jake Reichbart plays an Ibanez, looks like an AG. AGs have smaller bodies similar to the GB10 George Benson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    i currently use a ibanez ak95. does anyone know what the difference is between the ak's en the af's?
    Here are specs on most Ibanez models and links to other resources such as catalogs.
    Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

I have an AF105NTfrom the Artcore series. It’s worked well for me when I need a feedback resistant archtop.
    AF105 | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

The AF200 is in the Artstar series. It was a big step up in price.
    AF200 (1988–2003) | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

Here’s the AK95.
    AK95 | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

There are significant differences in pickup, parts, woods, and probably craftsmanship between these three. I think the AF200 is from Japan and the other two from China.
    Last edited by KirkP; 09-25-2020 at 12:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Here are specs on most Ibanez models and links to other resources such as catalogs.
    Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

I have an AF105NTfrom the Artcore series. It’s worked well for me when I need a feedback resistant archtop.
    AF105 | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

The AF200 is in the Artstar series. It was a big step up in price.
    AF200 (1988–2003) | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

Here’s the AK95.
    AK95 | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

There are significant differences in pickup, parts, woods, and probably craftsmanship between these three. I think the AF200 is from Japan and the other two from China.
    Thank for these links. Really helpful.

Yes, the AF200 is from Japan.
    According to the serial number on my guitar it is manufactured by Terada Musical Instrument Co., Ltd. near Nagano in August, 1988.
    And according to the Ibanez Wiki Fandom, the natural finish, like mine, has only been produced between 1988 and 1991.

User Info Menu

There are countless discussions of the relative merits of the pickups on those three guitars (Super 58, Custom 58, and ACH). The ratings are generally consistent with the price tags, but I’ve never found a direct comparison between any two on the same guitar. There are many comparisons to other pickups though.

Your AF200NT is a beauty, and I’ll bet it sounds great.

User Info Menu

We can get even more confused.... there’s also the “Silent 58” which is on the MIJ PM200. ive emailed Ibanez US twice asking what the difference is, no answer. Ibanez pickups can be a real rabbit hole!

I did a pickup comparison, very unscientific on my PM200 between the Silent 58, a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary, a Benedetto A6, and even the Super 58 from my MIJ AF200. Did this because the all maple PM was much brighter than I wanted. Long story shortened, I found the Silent 58 to be brighter than the Super 58. The Super 58 sounded good, but still let a lot of the maple hi sound through. The 36 didn’t (To my ears) differentiate chord tones well, it’s tone was nice, round, mellow but for chord melody it didn’t thrill me. The Benedetto A6 won hands down on the PM, beautiful tone, separation, playability.

So I’m doing the same with the AF200. The Super 58 is great on that guitar. The Silent 58 as with the PM was a little too hi focused for me on the AF. The 36 was disappointing again. I have the A6 on now, I’m pretty impressed. I will say the chord tones stand out really well with the A6, but they did with the Super 58 too. Somehow on the AF, I find the Super 58 easier to play, I suppose more forgiving. I dunno the right words. But I intend to go back and forth this week, and figure this out.

I wish my baby were blond too. I once was lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Your AF200NT is a beauty, and I’ll bet it sounds great.
    Yes, it does! And I love the neck. I know that is a matter of taste, but since I'm getting a wee bit older over time and my fingers aren't that flexible anymore, I'm happy with a thinner neck

I am curious though how many there are with natural finish...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    ROFLMAO

User Info Menu

yeah I kept saying ‘I’m blond’ but my wife daughter kept laughing at me.

I don’t think any blonds were/have been made in the ‘second series’ of the AF200 which appeared in the 2014 catalog. This series is made in the Fujigen factory. Love how comfortable the AF is to play.

User Info Menu

We can get even more confused.... there’s also the “Silent 58” which is on the MIJ PM200. I've emailed Ibanez US twice asking what the difference is, no answer. Ibanez pickups can be a real rabbit hole!
    I just grabbed the AF200 that Rich Harris had I saw you got the LGB300 he had, that's fantastic! I saw somewhere recently that said the "Silent 58" is supposed to be more resilient to feeding back on guitars with thinner tops. Now that's a far cry from a definitive difference, but it's all I've got

User Info Menu

that old blond af200 was my dream guitar for years !

I ended up with an af120 (it’s the korean
    made version)
    Its very nice but i suspect the japan af200
    would be even more comfortable on the left hand .... dunno tho

i think maybe my dream guitar has changed now to a new PM25 with cc
    if it ever gets made !

bloody nice axe tho , congrats to you

User Info Menu

Congrats Jim! you got a nice one there and the AF200 is such a comfy guitar to play. Glad it went to a forum member)
    The Silent 58 is potted BTW.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    This might be all wrong but the AF series appears to follow on from the FA (fa100) series in terms of fret number and the Ak series takes on from the Artist jp20 (Joe pass model).

You can see this first on the Jp20. It looks like the top shoulder reaches further down the neck (due to the number of frets) but they both join at the 15th.
    Ibanez basically has two styles of 16" at this point. The Jp and the FA-100 (a thinner es-175)

When it came to the artcore, Ibanez mixed up the two ideas. The Af-200 carried on from the FA-100 but with the JP20 rounded bottom shoulder and f-holes. The Ak took over the extended fret from the JP20 but moved back to the more FA (evolved ES-175) shape with pointed cutaway.

Any who also has a Ibanez Artstar AF-200NT?-iu-1-jpegAny who also has a Ibanez Artstar AF-200NT?-iu-jpeg2Any who also has a Ibanez Artstar AF-200NT?-iu-2-jpeg

User Info Menu

The FA-100 is pretty exactly an ES-175 copy. It's 3.25" deep so isn't really "a thinner es-175". The '78 FA-100 and '19 AF-200 do share the same headstock shape. Here's a side by side.

Any who also has a Ibanez Artstar AF-200NT?-af_vs_fa-jpg

User Info Menu

You got the headstock transition but the old logo. Nice!

Never did like the newer 'digital' logo but got used to it after a while.

Like a Heritage fan gets used to the headstock shape

User Info Menu

Hi to you all, thanks for this very interensting thread that has come to live, I Have a 1995 Ibanez AF-200, plays fine but she needs a refret, does any of you could tell the Radius and size of Frets that goes or could go along well with this model of Ibanez? I'd like to try Evo gold frets 47 tall - 104 wide. Would it be a good election?
    Thanks and Cheers in advance.
    Jimmy

User Info Menu

Hello Hagstrom (with an Ibanez)))))
    here’s the 1995 specs from Ibanez.fandom.com for a 1995/AF200. I have a 2014 and sure wish it was an NT not BS.

Specifications

Specifications for AF200 (1988–2003)
    Year(s) produced: 1988–2003
    Sold in: Worldwide
    Made in: Japan
    Finish(es): Antique Violin (AV) / Natural (NT) 1988–1991
    Body
    Body type:
    Hollow body
    Dimensions:
    Length: 495mm / 19½"
    Width: 400mm / 15?"
    Depth: 65mm / 2.6"
    Top:
    Material: Spruce (laminated)
    Binding: Ivory multi-ply

Back/sides:
    Material: Flamed maple

Neck joint:
    Set-in
    Bridge:
    Ebony with ebony saddle
    Tailpiece:
    AF200
    Pickguard:
    Flamed maple
    Knob style:
    Sure Grip II (gold)
    Hardware color:
    Gold
    Neck
    Neck type:
    Artstar AF
    Neck material:
    3-piece mahogany/ maple
    Scale length:
    628mm/ 24¾"
    Fingerboard material:
    Ebony w/ ivory binding
    Fingerboard inlays:
    Pearl/ abalone split block
    Frets:
    22 / medium (SBB213-175) (Prestige edge treatment)
    Nut:
    Bone (43mm)
    Machine heads:
    Gotoh SG38/SG381 w/ pearloid buttons
    Electronics/ Strings
    Pickup configuration:
    HH
    Bridge pickup:
    Ibanez Super 58 (H) passive/alnico
    Neck pickup:
    Ibanez Super 58 (H) passive/alnico
    Controls:
    Two volumes / two tones / 3-way toggle pickup selector
    Output jack:
    ¼" stereo box (face mounted)
    String gauge (factory):
    .013/.016/.022/.032/.042/.052
    Factory tuning:
    1E,2B,3G,4D,5A,6E (E Std.)

User Info Menu

How do you handle replacing the pickups on your archtops? I did this *ONE TIME* and literally spent 1.5 hours trying to get the pots and jacks back into their holes and vowed never to do this again...

We can get even more confused.... there’s also the “Silent 58” which is on the MIJ PM200. ive emailed Ibanez US twice asking what the difference is, no answer. Ibanez pickups can be a real rabbit hole!

I did a pickup comparison, very unscientific on my PM200 between the Silent 58, a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary, a Benedetto A6, and even the Super 58 from my MIJ AF200. Did this because the all maple PM was much brighter than I wanted. Long story shortened, I found the Silent 58 to be brighter than the Super 58. The Super 58 sounded good, but still let a lot of the maple hi sound through. The 36 didn’t (To my ears) differentiate chord tones well, it’s tone was nice, round, mellow but for chord melody it didn’t thrill me. The Benedetto A6 won hands down on the PM, beautiful tone, separation, playability.

So I’m doing the same with the AF200. The Super 58 is great on that guitar. The Silent 58 as with the PM was a little too hi focused for me on the AF. The 36 was disappointing again. I have the A6 on now, I’m pretty impressed. I will say the chord tones stand out really well with the A6, but they did with the Super 58 too. Somehow on the AF, I find the Super 58 easier to play, I suppose more forgiving. I dunno the right words. But I intend to go back and forth this week, and figure this out.

User Info Menu

Ah ha! The secret tool from Stew Mac for removing pots! Also the tool thats a 1/4” plug on the end so you easily work the jack out and back in. I tried the old tie string around them but my knot tying abilities, well, suck!

love them both Jack!

Archtop Guitar Helping Hand - StewMac

Jack Installation Tool - StewMac

User Info Menu

Thanks, but looks like the jack installation tool was discontinued.

Ah ha! The secret tool from Stew Mac for removing pots! Also the tool thats a 1/4” plug on the end so you easily work the jack out and back in. I tried the old tie string around them but my knot tying abilities, well, suck!

love them both Jack!

Archtop Guitar Helping Hand - StewMac

Jack Installation Tool - StewMac

User Info Menu

Never seen one in that Natural, I used to have one but it was more of a vintage natural like in the video. A great guitar, after trying a few PAF type pickups, I went back to the stock Super 58's made in Japan!

Cheers,
    Arnie...