The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

My amp is seldom above 12, and actually seldom that high. Louder than that hurts my ears. I have never turned it up to the last quarter turn, not even in environments that were so loud that I had to wear earplugs.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    My amp is seldom above 12, and actually seldom that high. Louder than that hurts my ears. I have never turned it up to the last quarter turn, not even in environments that were so loud that I had to wear earplugs.
    No, me neither, I only turned it up to see if the noise would increase with the increase in volume. I never played at more than 3-4.

User Info Menu

Yes I once bought the DV Mark 12, sweet amp but the hiss is just there, significantly louder than the Cube but indeed I doubt if it's recognizable when using on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by padawan1997
    Yes I once bought the DV Mark 12, sweet amp but the hiss is just there, significantly louder than the Cube but indeed I doubt if it's recognizable when using on stage.
    Are you sure it wasn't the old one's fan noise? It used to be a problem.
    When did you buy yours?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kikodasneves
    Are you sure it wasn't the old one's fan noise? It used to be a problem.
    When did you buy yours?
    I bought it since June and returned it. It was a clearance stock from Thomann, 12-2017 version.
    The old version which I once bought (LJ) had no hiss except when using the phone jack. The newer one, no fan noise but hiss, indeed I'd rather take back my first version.....
    I'm not the only one experiencing this, there are a few feedbacks about DV Mark Amp on Thomann sharing the same thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by padawan1997
    I bought it since June and returned it. It was a clearance stock from Thomann, 12-2017 version.
    The old version which I once bought (LJ) had no hiss except when using the phone jack. The newer one, no fan noise but hiss, indeed I'd rather take back my first version.....
    I'm not the only one experiencing this, there are a few feedbacks about DV Mark Amp on Thomann sharing the same thoughts.
    Glad to hear I'm not going crazy and there are others experiencing this... On the thomann reviews I only found 1 or 2 people. One of the reviews talking about the hiss is mine.

DV Mark screwed something up recently, it seems.

User Info Menu

I just got a Little Jazz, the sticker on the back says built in 2018. I do notice a tiny hiss (it's about as loud as my fridge, which is sitting across the room). At two meters away from the amp, I can just about hear it. The hiss level is not very much influenced by how loud the Volume is set at (but at really loud volume settings, you do hear a louder hiss).

What's also odd is that you can still hear the guitar even when master volume is at zero.

I might return it, cuz I was hoping for a 100% quiet amp. I will only use it for playing at home at low volumes, so the quieter the amp the better.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy101
    I just got a Little Jazz, the sticker on the back says built in 2018. I do notice a tiny hiss (it's about as loud as my fridge, which is sitting across the room). At two meters away from the amp, I can just about hear it. The hiss level is not very much influenced by how loud the Volume is set at (but at really loud volume settings, you do hear a louder hiss).

What's also odd is that you can still hear the guitar even when master volume is at zero.

I might return it, cuz I was hoping for a 100% quiet amp. I will only use it for playing at home at low volumes, so the quieter the amp the better.
    That's exactly the amout of hiss I have in mine. Does not increase with volume, only at really loud levels. The mid pot also changes the hiss's character and volume quite a bit.
    I took mine to a tech and they said there were nothing they could do as it was just the amp's personality... aka lackluster design...

User Info Menu

Exactly the same here. (Jazz 12) I bought it from Thomann approx two years ago. Also wrote to DV Mark, their support was under any expectation.

The white noise is practically independent from any pot, so I do not think it is from the preamp.

... and no it is not the fan, and not the guitar. It is there regardless of the cable is plugged or not.
    It is very disturbing at room loudness settings, because the hiss is relative well hearable over the instrument.

User Info Menu

Hi!

Registered here specially to write in this thread.

I recently bought Roland JC-22 hoping to use it as a bedroom amp at low volumes, but was very dissapointed by the white noise hiss it makes. Description is the same as here in the thread with DV - hiss is constant volume, does not depend on amp volume and on the fact if anything is connected to the amp.

I made some research and appeared that this problem is as old as Roland Jazz Chorus exists. It is due to the poor solution in the design - volume pot sits in the preamp section, and power section is ALWAYS at max volume, which means it always amplifies the unavoidable noise of electronic components in the scheme. Many people don't hear this hiss because they don't use the amp at bedroom volumes. When you play louder our perception of background noises decreases drastically. You will never notice that kind of hiss in rehearsal room or small bar etc. But once you want to play at really low volumes when other members of you family are sleeping in other room, the hiss becomes unacceptable.

Some resolder the position of the volume pot in the scheme and it solves the problem. I also have 2 tube amps, they don't have this hiss, but I don't want to run my tubes every time I plan to play 5 minutes or so. Wanted to have on solid state amp to for late time practice.

I came here to this thread because I was searching info about DV Jazz amp as a replacement for Roland due to hiss, but now I see DV also have this problem. Probably they have the same stupid solution in schematic. And probably they now started to use cheaper and more noisy components so the hiss became more pronounced.

User Info Menu

I don't know what to tell you. My DV Little Jazz is absolutely quiet, no hiss, and only some occasional buzz when the guitar is brought too near, which happens with any amp. It is much quieter than my Fender tube amp, in fact dead quiet.

User Info Menu

Funny enough, after reading and replying to this thread, some time later I noticed a hum on mine. It was when I was playing with headphones late one night and my actual playing on the guitar was unusually quiet to not wake anyone. I had the speaker turned off so there were no other noise distractions and I could hear it, But it really was not loud or annoying to my ears. I guess it’s completely acceptable to me because I’m not in this situation often, and I went as far as to say mine was quiet when first asked about it.

User Info Menu

The constant loudness of hiss of my Roland JC-22 is similar to notebook fans when CPU is at high load. Sadly there are no DV-s in my town, I would just borrowed one to test. Don't want to risk ordering from the internet.

User Info Menu

Amp hiss is usually very directional. When practicing at home, I find my amps to be at their quietest if they are sitting on the floor (so they aren't pointing at my face) and I'm sitting off of the axis of the amp. I suspect some houses/apartments have dirtier power lines which may increase the noise.

I've never heard an amp that's "dead quiet". All amps hiss in my experience. Hiss is never an issue during performances (unlike single coil hums) but when practicing quietly at night, if you position yourself in the wrong way, in a close vicinity I bet you can hear hiss from any amp if you try to hear it, unless the amp is alien technology or you're experiencing a hearing loss.

User Info Menu

I'm kind of a maverick, so I bypassed the DV Mark Jazz and went for the more powerful 150/250 watt DV Mark Raw Dawg model. Great cleans, nice reverb and LOUD! Mates well to my speaker cabs (4ohm and 8ohm). Pedals interact great with it and its almost dead quiet.

http://www.dvmark.it/product-detail/dv-raw-dawg-eg/

User Info Menu

Has anyone recently bought the Little Jazz and experiencing the white noise hiss? I just returned a Katana 100 for a Little Jazz on order arriving this week. That would be a big let down if this white noise thing is still happening with the newest batches of the Little Jazz.

User Info Menu

Hello there,
    I have purchased a DV Mark Jazz 12 (and before that one I had 2 different Little Jazz that I sent back) and although I like it very much, one thing bugs me.
    I got all of the NEW in 2019/2020 and they have a lot of preamp white noise/hiss that comes out of the speaker even without a jack plugged in, much more than any other amps I own, including tubed ones.

I can't find anyone online with this problem, everyone says it's a very quiet amp with no hiss. I cannot record with it at all at bedroom or studio volumes because the noise is just too much.

Anyone has this problem as well and knows a way to fix the amp, maybe changing some components? This is NOT fan noise, that issue was corrected a while back. It is also not my house's problem, since my other amps work fine and I used a Little Jazz in a gig and the problem persisted.

Thanks.
    I have the exact same amp, and the exact same white noise, and the exact same "can not find anyone". I bought it a few years ago in thomann.de.

However my diagnosis is not the preamp instead the power amp, because it is insensitive to the volume pot, I mean the hiss is coming almost reagardless which position is the volume pot.

As a consequence, in low volumes is causes bad noise/signal ratio, which is disturbing. I had problems to made understand te problem with others, maybe that is my English.

i instantly wrote to DV Mark, they not even answered, which is a bad sign, so I am livin together with the issue.

edit: now I realize, I had already answered to this thread :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Hi!

Registered here specially to write in this thread.

I recently bought Roland JC-22 hoping to use it as a bedroom amp at low volumes, but was very dissapointed by the white noise hiss it makes. Description is the same as here in the thread with DV - hiss is constant volume, does not depend on amp volume and on the fact if anything is connected to the amp.

I made some research and appeared that this problem is as old as Roland Jazz Chorus exists. It is due to the poor solution in the design - volume pot sits in the preamp section, and power section is ALWAYS at max volume, which means it always amplifies the unavoidable noise of electronic components in the scheme. Many people don't hear this hiss because they don't use the amp at bedroom volumes. When you play louder our perception of background noises decreases drastically. You will never notice that kind of hiss in rehearsal room or small bar etc. But once you want to play at really low volumes when other members of you family are sleeping in other room, the hiss becomes unacceptable.

Some resolder the position of the volume pot in the scheme and it solves the problem. I also have 2 tube amps, they don't have this hiss, but I don't want to run my tubes every time I plan to play 5 minutes or so. Wanted to have on solid state amp to for late time practice.

I came here to this thread because I was searching info about DV Jazz amp as a replacement for Roland due to hiss, but now I see DV also have this problem. Probably they have the same stupid solution in schematic. And probably they now started to use cheaper and more noisy components so the hiss became more pronounced.
    Exactly, the power amp is always on max, there is no pot on that. Maybe it is a solid state thing. that was my conclusion too, from the symptom, the hiss is constant.

User Info Menu

I had the exact same white noise/hiss problem with a Roland Cube 30x…. Really bugged me. It’s not by definition symptomatic for solid state, for my AER Alpha and Session BluesBaby 22 don’t have this problem - they do get some white noise when the volume is past halfway but below that they are almost dead silent. So maybe certain circuits and designs have it?

User Info Menu

Glad to hear I'm not going crazy and there are others experiencing this... On the thomann reviews I only found 1 or 2 people. One of the reviews talking about the hiss is mine.

DV Mark screwed something up recently, it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I had the exact same white noise/hiss problem with a Roland Cube 30x…. Really bugged me. It’s not by definition symptomatic for solid state, for my AER Alpha and Session BluesBaby 22 don’t have this problem - they do get some white noise when the volume is past halfway but below that they are almost dead silent. So maybe certain circuits and designs have it?
    I meant, to put a pot on the power amp, is not a simple thing in solid state. Surely it is possible, but cheaper simplest solid state power amp circuit omits that part, so the power amp always go with full power and emits the hiss.

User Info Menu

I have the problem with my Quilter micropro mach 2. I know it's the power amp because it's got effects loop and it's there even if I directly plug into the power amp.

The hiss is there even if everything is turned to 0 (volume, gain, treble, reverb etc). Reverb is so noisy it's practically unusable for practicing. I find that the hiss is very directional, I position the amp in a way that I'm off axis of the speaker. Then it doesn't bother me.

User Info Menu

Looking through this thread it seems like the white noise is more present in the newer batches and it sounds like DV Mark is is ok with that which is a shame. I ordered mine from GC so not sure how new of a batch I will get. This could be from from 2020 stock. Mine should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. I will report back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I meant, to put a pot on the power amp, is not a simple thing in solid state. Surely it is possible, but cheaper simplest solid state power amp circuit omits that part, so the power amp always go with full power and emits the hiss.
    That's an interesting idea. Not only the noise but many of the compact class D amps come with fans because they run hot even when idling. I hate fan noise when I'm practicing. I had a traynor bass amp that had a fan. It'd just come on after a few minutes regardless. I wonder if a pot on the power amp would help with that as well. That way you only need the fan (and have hiss) when you're actually playing loud.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    Looking through this thread it seems like the white noise is more present in the newer batches and it sounds like DV Mark is is ok with that which is a shame. I ordered mine from GC so not sure how new of a batch I will get. This could be from from 2020 stock. Mine should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. I will report back.
    Pleased to report no hissing issues on the DV Mark Little Jazz I received today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    Pleased to report no hissing issues on the DV Mark Little Jazz I received today.
    lucky guy :-) thx for the feedback.