The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

In reviews or adds on second-hand-market-sites people offer amps and try to describe the amp that is for sale. Some of those phrases are used that often and for so many amps, that i wonder: can it be true? One example that i see a lot and makes me wonder . . .
    "takes pedals really well".
    What are you favourites in this categorie?
    Last edited by Marcel_A; 09-20-2020 at 09:48 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"that classic tube amp sound"

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by newsense; 09-20-2020 at 07:34 AM.

User Info Menu

"Great cleans"

User Info Menu

"Vintage tones"

User Info Menu

‘Boutique’ (esp when applied to a cheap amp.)

User Info Menu

‘dynamics’

User Info Menu

both for amps and pedals: "transparent" "doesn't color your guitar's tone"

User Info Menu

"Only used now and then at home, never gigged."

User Info Menu

When anyone tries to describe sound/tone to me, I just shut down and walk away or scroll on as the case may be. As I've said before, "I'm so old school that any amp that makes my guitar louder is a good amp".

"Takes pedals well" - does that mean that it sounds bad without them?

How about a nice, well built amp (tube or SS) with one input, one volume, bass, mid, treble and spring (preferably) reverb? Oh, and it stays clean up to ear damage levels. Probably never gonna happen but one can only hope. Closest I've seen is my Quilter 101R and I have to put up with the master volume 'thingy'. My Evans RE200 is a great amp but the front end is way too complicated for me - I just twist knobs until I sound like 'me' and leave it there.

Of course, YMMV.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    "I'm so old school that any amp that makes my guitar louder is a good amp".
    It's at least the most important criteria.

User Info Menu

I've always loved the pedal thing:

"Full disclosure: the amp doesn't take pedals very well. Sometimes it spits the cord out at the input jack if you use them."

User Info Menu

“Great clean pedal platform. Only used in my smoke-free, pet-free, joy-free studio.”

I actually bought an amp that was specifically advertised as being from a smoker’s home. He wasn’t lying: it reeked for months.

User Info Menu

From the Q&A for a SF Twin Reverb advertised in New Zealand:

Q. Explain the master volume issue again?

A. There is no issue. It works just like a non master volume Fender Twin like the blackface and early silverface models. The master volume has been taken out of the circuit. The knob and pot is there because it is better looking than taking it out and seeing a hole.

No master, no issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    From the Q&A for a SF Twin Reverb advertised in New Zealand:

Q. Explain the master volume issue again?

A. There is no issue. It works just like a non master volume Fender Twin like the blackface and early silverface models. The master volume has been taken out of the circuit. The knob and pot is there because it is better looking than taking it out and seeing a hole.

No master, no issue.

I would have taken the master bait.

User Info Menu

I read it in an add years ago for a Guild Starfire: "Mature tone".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis

How about a nice, well built amp (tube or SS) with one input, one volume, bass, mid, treble and spring (preferably) reverb? Oh, and it stays clean up to ear damage levels. Probably never gonna happen but one can only hope. Closest I've seen is my Quilter 101R and I have to put up with the master volume 'thingy'. My Evans RE200 is a great amp but the front end is way too complicated for me - I just twist knobs until I sound like 'me' and leave it there.

Of course, YMMV.......
    That's the amp I want too, Skip!
    Less is more! A few amps get close but few have an actual spring reverb...