The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

My mid-'60s Gibson ES-345TDSVT came to me (in the '80s) with the hang tags and the original set of flatwound 11-50 strings (Gibson, I presume). After re-cutting the nut (which was hopelessly out of whack) I gigged with it as my #1 with 10-46 rounds of mixed brands for many years. Many years and guitars later, I put on a set of D'Addario Chromes, 11-50. So... full circle. My lefty 335 wore 11-46 rounds as I gigged with it, looking for a lefty player to whom I could bequeath it (to no avail). My 325 has always worn 10-46 rounds, which really helps the funkitude of the mini hums it has.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

We are nowhere close to a consensus on the question. There are a huge number of choices in guitars, strings, how to pluck the strings and with what.

If music were considered an essential government service, all of these questions would be answered for you and you'd be issued your equipment with instructions! Life would be simpler and more efficient. Despite these constraints there'd still be room for individuality and artistic expression.

To digress, a friend texted this last night: If you could be thin the rest of your life or eat tacos, which would you have, soft or hard shell?

User Info Menu

Well, I just took the .11 rounds off my 335 last night and put .12 chromes on. I now love playing that guitar again and will make love to it for a few weeks, maybe months until I pose this question again and likely swap the flats for rounds.

User Info Menu

I'm with you, man! That's the beauty (and bane!) of a 335...You can do so many things with them!

User Info Menu

Normally for me I use rounds, but last July I put on flats as an experiment. I likes the way they feel and depending on my mood (or the phase of the moon) I think they sound cool. However recently I have started to brighten them us with my Boss Eq-200 equalizer (which is great for such things).

For me, I think I will have some flatwounds on something, just for variety.

I suggest that you experiment and try them for a month or two. It is not a permanent decision.