The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 136 of 136

User Info Menu

Avenir,
    Glad you got your Pickup situation figured out.
    The Zoller has always intrigued me. I've heard that it does a lot to magnify the sound of the guitar.
    I am glad that the string balance out good for you.

Can you point out any differences between the stock Pickup and the Zoller?

Thanks,
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by avenir
    Got the Zoller today and installed it -- winner. Sound I wanted, not a ringer for an installed humbucker but close enough. Installed low so the bottom rests on the top, but still higher than a screwed down neck PAF. Also nice with no polepieces, as the string spacing seems off (maybe an Asian spacing?), so clear across all strings, no exaggerated volumes on any string.

Overall very pleased! Thanks again to all for their input....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Joe -- Yes, I am pleased with it, was looking for a less acoustic-amplified tone and more of a set in humbucker tone. That to me is the biggest difference, while the original KA-designed pickup gave a brighter more acoustic sound, the Zoller is a fuller, darker, richer tone, if that makes sense... somewhat like a mini humbucker vs. a hotter PAF.

Not that the Zoller is "hot" as it's not. Also, installed it so that the bottom of the pickup is resting on the top of the guitar, not a problem as it has a soft epoxy-like base, not tacky/sticky, but nice in that it won't scratch the guitar top (maybe had been designed like this for all I know, would make sense).

Another plus was the neck mount, which I prefer to pickguard mount, more solid feeling, not as 'flimsy' but that's just my preference.

All in all, not as airy and open and acoustic as a true floater, but more full range humbucker, but still remaining good acoustic properties/overtones if you will. Also think the feel is better, seems to react faster and bigger, more electric than acoustic in overall 'feel.'

Hope that helps....

avenir

User Info Menu

Glad the OP is pleased with the Zoller. I really love it on my Unity.

User Info Menu

What is the thinnest (Depth) passive floating pickup available for an archtop guitar? If you have one for sale forward details please--UK only. PM me.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Great sounding PU, the thinnest I've ever seen: Boris Dommenget Guitarmaker handmade Guitars and Pickups
    Can be ordered directly from Boris Dommenget.

User Info Menu

I reckon Krivo can go thinner

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I reckon Krivo can go thinner
    Jason’s Micro-Manouche (not just intended for Selmer-Macaferri guitars) is already only 6 mm thick, so he’s already there.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Jason’s Micro-Manouche (not just intended for Selmer-Macaferri guitars) is already only 6 mm thick, so he’s already there.
    I have that one. It's dead skinny.

You can get a very thin PAF as well from him.

User Info Menu

Ive got one. Am about to put it up for sale in here if you are interested ?
    chris ( sheffield)

User Info Menu

Ive got one. Am about to put it up for sale in here if you are interested ?
    chris ( sheffield)
    Attached Images Attached Images Floating Pickups-da3eea6e-3b00-401c-9971-67201328f03a-jpg Floating Pickups-849c904d-d4e8-4f6e-8175-3881e10f1385-jpg