The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve been waiting for a used Gries 5 to come on the market, but I’m impatient and the amp is rare. On a whim, I called Alpha Audio Works, which is the only dealer listed on the Gries website. They happened to have one of Gries’s Home/Studio 5 watt heads in stock. This one is based on the AA764 (blackface) Champ circuit, but has bass/treble/mid controls. Gries also makes a 5-watt head based on the 5F1 (tweed) Champ circuit. There are some differences between this head and the full-on Gries 5, but for my purposes, this should be just fine. I paired it with a cool, slightly beat-up 2x10 cabinet built by Bob Burt. The baffle must be aftermarket, because it is cut in such a way that I can only fit one speaker in there. Until I get a chance to build a better baffle, I’ll just have one Eminence GA10-SC64 in there.

I am still putting the amp through its paces, but so far I am very satisfied. The amp shipped with three JJ tubes: ECC83, 6V6, and GZ34. It felt pretty stiff at first, so I swapped in an old RCA 12AX7 and a JJ 5Y3, which softened up the attack considerably. There is more than enough clean headroom and volume for my play-at-home-during-covid purposes. The three-knob EQ on the AA764 circuit is an absolute revelation. When I think Champ, I think two knobs: volume and tone. This is much more versatile. The bass control is very sensitive—a little bit of movement provides an awful lot of tone-shaping, and it was not too long after doing the tube swap I decided that this amp was a keeper.

Gries Home/Studio 5 watt-img_3892-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats, and thanks for the review!

User Info Menu

Nice Ampeg in the background, too!

User Info Menu

Very cool amp! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

That looks great, I'd love to hear it!