The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Just pulled the trigger on the PRS SE Hollowbody II McCarty mahogany model. Been waiting for awhile and got an email from Sweetwater last night that they were available so had to do it. Picked one that's just under 6 lbs. Not many vids of the mahogany model but what I've seen, I liked a lot.

Anyone else have one of these and how do you like it? All reviews look really good from what I've seen.

***Update 9/25/2020*** Tried to like it - didn't - sent it back - end of story.

Last edited by Skip Ellis; 09-26-2020 at 11:47 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I will watch this space with considerable interest....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Me, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Just pulled the trigger on the PRS SE Hollowbody II McCarty mahogany model. Been waiting for awhile and got an email from Sweetwater last night that they were available so had to do it. Picked one that's just under 6 lbs. Not many vids of the mahogany model but what I've seen, I liked a lot.

Anyone else have one of these and how do you like it? All reviews look really good from what I've seen.
    Here's my review of my NGD:

PRS SE Hollowbody II

Congratulations. I've wanted to hear from owners of the Mahogany model. I love my flamed maple HBII. It can do it all!

User Info Menu

Wait, who are you?... and what have you done to the real Skip Ellis?!!?
    BUY a new guitar? No way.
    C'mon, 'fess up. Who are you and how did you hack his account?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Wait, who are you?... and what have you done to the real Skip Ellis?!!?
    BUY a new guitar? No way.
    C'mon, 'fess up. Who are you and how did you hack his account?
    Just thought I'd see how the other half lives...LOL . I need to downsize anyway so if this does what I hope it will, it'll be the only electric guitar I need. Selling the Godin will about pay for the PRS and that'll leave me with a couple of great acoustics (Martin 000-18 and Brook Torridge) and two good amps (Evans RE200 and Quilter 101R). I plan on a new 'herd' photo shoot sometime soon. Will probably part out the homemade stuff and/or give some to friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    me too, very interested

User Info Menu

Skip, just a note about the PRS SE HBII...The nut is cut for 10's. I like 11's and needed to slightly widen the nut slot. That's the only thing I needed to do to be very happy with it. Keep us posted after you receive yours.

User Info Menu

If that plays as good as it looks, it's going to be great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Skip, just a note about the PRS SE HBII...The nut is cut for 10's. I like 11's and needed to slightly widen the nut slot. That's the only thing I needed to do to be very happy with it. Keep us posted after you receive yours.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll probably stick with 10s on the PRS as I've used GHS Burnished Nickel Rockers (10-46) for the best part of 35 years and really like them. I plan to put 11-50 flats on this recent hollowbody build.
    Attached Images Attached Images PRS SE Hollowbody II **Update**-tiger-eye-5-jpg 
    Last edited by Skip Ellis; 09-26-2020 at 11:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Bump for update

User Info Menu

I know you state “end of story”, but what didn’t you like about it. On spec, it is a vert nice guitar at an attractive price. Inquiring because these have caught my eye, too. Thanks ?

User Info Menu

Did I miss something?
    Wheres the update?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Did I miss something?
    Wheres the update?
    Original post...in red....

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mike_k
    I know you state “end of story”, but what didn’t you like about it. On spec, it is a vert nice guitar at an attractive price. Inquiring because these have caught my eye, too. Thanks ?
    Nice guitar but I've been playing Telecasters for so long (1972 or thereabouts) that I'm just not comfortable with anything else. Workmanship was top notch and I did like the pickups and ebony fretboard. Only thing I can say is that compared to my Tele, it just felt 'insubstantial'.

User Info Menu

So ... could you elaborate a bit on what you didn't like?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue_lu
    So ... could you elaborate a bit on what you didn't like?!
    Not any more than I already did. I've been playing so long that I can tell within 15 minutes whether an instrument will suit me or not - this one just did not. Not saying it's bad or good - it just didn't suit me. Workmanship was excellent, finish nice, action OK, nice pickups and nice looking hardware. I'm not into describing tone, etc. because I always sound like me, whatever that is. It's a decent guitar and many people will probably like it - all you can do is try it like I did and see how it suits you. My Sweetwater sales guy said that maybe the 'core' version PRS would be a better fit but that's out of my price range.