The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

Like the title says!

I'm interested in what the forum has to recommend.

Thank you in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's my favorite size spec, I'm interested in hearing suggestions as well. I'm assuming you mean electric archtop. Does carved or laminate construction matter?

User Info Menu

Heritage Sweet 16 ?
    best 16" archtop that is 2.5" to 2.75" deep for under ,000-dsc_0044-jpg
    Eastman AR 503 CE ?
    best 16" archtop that is 2.5" to 2.75" deep for under ,000-dsc_0041-jpg

User Info Menu

If you wait long enough you can sometimes find a used Borys B120 for $3000 to $3500. My other recommendation is the Sadowsky Jim Hall used.

Ned Whittemore and Stephen Holst makes new laminate jazz guitars in this price range.

Of course, the venerable Gibson ES-125 has come back into vogue for well under $2000. You'd be looking for the 1960s ES-125 Thinline then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    If you wait long enough you can sometimes find a used Borys B120 for $3000 to $3500. My other recommendation is the Sadowsky Jim Hall used.

Ned Whittemore and Stephen Holst makes new laminate jazz guitars in this price range.

Of course, the venerable Gibson ES-125 has come back into vogue for well under $2000. You'd be looking for the 1960s ES-125 Thinline then.
    Es-125 did cross my mind but I much prefer having a cutaway!

Thank you for throwing those names my way. I will definitely check those luthiers out!

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Heritage Sweet 16 ?
    best 16" archtop that is 2.5" to 2.75" deep for under ,000-dsc_0044-jpg
    Eastman AR 503 CE ?
    best 16" archtop that is 2.5" to 2.75" deep for under ,000-dsc_0041-jpg
    I'm yet to find a heritage sweet 16 for under $3k!

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    That's my favorite size spec, I'm interested in hearing suggestions as well. I'm assuming you mean electric archtop. Does carved or laminate construction matter?
    I'd prefer carved, I wouldn't mind laminate either. It would depend on how it would sound, plugged in and acoustic.

User Info Menu

Used Heritage H-575 can get you a great solid carved archtop near your price point. Shop around and you might even find one that has factory custom upgrades.

User Info Menu

The best I've played is my Wu. I've put my Benedettos in the closet since I got it.

User Info Menu

Hofner's original version of the Thin President is a very nice guitar. They were made @2004-2006. They pop up used every once in awhile for well under $3,000.
    -15 7/8" wide
    -2 1/2" deep rims
    -25 1/4" scale
    -neck meets body at 16th fret
    -carved spruce top, laminated rims & back
    -ebony fretboard & bridge
    -Schaller hardware
    -OEM 4-conductor mini-humbucking pickups provided by Schaller
    Attached Images Attached Images best 16" archtop that is 2.5" to 2.75" deep for under ,000-hof-np-exxxx-thin-sbc-med-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-18-2020 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The best I've played is my Wu. I've put my Benedettos in the closet since I got it.
    How does a Wu differ from an Eastman?

It just seems like a customized Eastman to me.

User Info Menu

Comins GCS-16-1 has ended my archtop search. Yes, it's laminate and a factory guitar, but it does exactly what I want and has the looks and dimensions I want.

best 16" archtop that is 2.5" to 2.75" deep for under ,000-comins-gcs-16-1-jpg

Home | Comins Guitars

User Info Menu

My arch tops are all 2.75: Eastman Pisano 880, Lehmann Session 16 and Godin Kingpin. Love them all. That's the sweet spot for me when it comes to thickness.

User Info Menu

Eastmans are built in the Eastman factory. Wu builds his in his own shop. He started out with Eastman, eventually moved to Yunzhi when that split from Eastman, but has been building on his own for some years. It's probably analogous to Gibson and Campellone, at least to some extent. Wu has come a long way in the past few years. His first efforts were somewhat rough in some areas, specifically electronics, fretting, and nut setup, but the one I have needed only minor nut work to be one of the most playable guitars I've had the pleasure of playing. I didn't get any electronics in it, so I can't comment on his current output in that area, but the guitar plays and sounds as good as any I've ever tried. All for $1500 shipped to my house. My only regret is that I didn't order a 17" non-cut, but that's entirely my fault. I got exactly what I ordered, and it's worth a lot more than I paid for it, IMO.

User Info Menu

Eastmans are built in the Eastman factory. Wu builds his in his own shop. He started out with Eastman, eventually moved to Yunzhi when that split from Eastman, but has been building on his own for some years. It's probably analogous to Gibson and Campellone, at least to some extent. Wu has come a long way in the past few years. His first efforts were somewhat rough in some areas, specifically electronics, fretting, and nut setup, but the one I have needed only minor nut work to be one of the most playable guitars I've had the pleasure of playing. I didn't get any electronics in it, so I can't comment on his current output in that area, but the guitar plays and sounds as good as any I've ever tried. All for $1500 shipped to my house. My only regret is that I didn't order a 17" non-cut, but that's entirely my fault. I got exactly what I ordered, and it's worth a lot more than I paid for it, IMO.
    is that what his prices are like today? What’s the turnaround time?

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    Comins GCS-16-1 has ended my archtop search. Yes, it's laminate and a factory guitar, but it does exactly what I want and has the looks and dimensions I want.

best 16" archtop that is 2.5" to 2.75" deep for under ,000-comins-gcs-16-1-jpg

Home | Comins Guitars
    This definitely caught my eye... I'm interested now. Turns out there's a dealer near me. Gonna head there this weekend to give it a try.

Do you play yours acoustically at all by any chance?

I'm interested.

Do you have any clips where I can hear your guitar in action?

User Info Menu

I have no recording equipment. I can't say for sure what Wu's prices are today, with the current situation. $1500 was the base price for mine about 2 years ago. It can be more depending on the amount of inlay you want, but it's not much more. Wu's agent is Lora at Yolandateam. You communicate through her, because Wu doesn't speak English. The time from placing the order to receiving the guitar was about 3 months.
    guitar_archtop@163.com
    410 Gone
    She is an agent for other makers, including the Yunzhi factory. She was actively seeking orders in March, but I have no idea about the situation now.

The link displays wonky here, but it's valid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz
    That can be arranged:

Last edited by Little Jay; 09-18-2020 at 04:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Thank you for throwing those names my way. I will definitely check those luthiers out!
    Don't forget the ES125 also comes in a cutaway version.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Used Heritage H-575 can get you a great solid carved archtop near your price point. Shop around and you might even find one that has factory custom upgrades.
    And the used ones are coming up again in price, so act now

User Info Menu

The Sweet 16’s you’ll often find listed for high prices are listing prices. Those aren’t selling prices. I personally can’t recall a single one of those guitars selling for $3500. You should be able to purchase a Sweet 16 for $3k. I’d make offers to all you see listed, or that interest you, and if a seller doesn’t have a make an offer ad make your max offer anyway.

Prices for Sweet 16’s have increased since they’re no longer being produced. But I’m not buying the price increases as high as I’ve seen them. Some are listed for $4500, which is ridiculous for that’s the price of an L4CES. Just 3 years ago one could commonly find Sweet 16’s for $2700. I feel folks are seeking to cash in on the fact they’re no longer being produced and not being realistic because at the end of the day it’s still a used Heritage. And I wouldn’t pay $3k for a 575.

RE a WU I’ve owned a WU. A good guitar yes, a great guitar no. Not even in the discussion with a Sweet 16. Especially for $1500!!!! Get real. Those are $1k guitars max, imo. And btw, I’ve owned 5 Sweet 16’s and am aware of the quality differences between both a WU and a Sweet 16.

User Info Menu

Be patient
    I paid mine €2k four years ago, and in Europe ! Of course it has dings here and there, but nothing structural and it plays and sounds good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop

RE a WU I’ve owned a WU. A good guitar yes, a great guitar no. Not even in the discussion with a Sweet 16. Especially for $1500!!!! Get real. Those are $1k guitars max, imo. And btw, I’ve owned 5 Sweet 16’s and am aware of the quality differences between both a WU and a Sweet 16.
    I must have been more fortunate in my Wu guitar experience or maybe just less so with the Sweet 16 I've played (a friend had one in New Mexico so I have spent a little time with one). Maybe it's because the Heritage necks from back when seem skinny for my taste. Maybe it's because Wu/Yunzhi is what I'm used to. Maybe because my guitars are set up specifically to my ears and hands. But I keep coming back to my Yunzhi and Wu guitars. Of course, there aren't a lot of guitars passing through here. Maybe those who focus on buying and selling a lot of guitars have more experience to draw on. I certainly do see a big difference in good (e.g. Martin, Taylor) and great (Kinscherff, Goodall) guitars in my flat tops.

Someday (guess it better be soon.. not getting any younger) I'll have a custom archtop made here in the US. If it's the same step up in acoustic tone I see in better flat tops, would certainly be worth doing.

User Info Menu

I'm interested.

Do you have any clips where I can hear your guitar in action?
    There's a used one in the forum for sale section with a very nice sound clip.

Mr. Wu 16" Archtop