The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Sorry to resurrect the thread (I chose the latest), would someone who actually owns the ES 135 tell me precisely the body depth at the rim, lower bout?
    I'd like to compare it with the ES-339, and see the depth difference.
    I'm interested in the slightly deeper body of the ES135.
    I'm planning maybe getting and ES 135 and selling my ES 339..
    I'm not really bonding with the 339, I feel inconfortable playing it. It's too small and the headstock seems so far away from the small body! Therefore the neck feels too long to me. Hard to explain but it's akward playing it.
    I own a 335 style guitar and it doesn't have that bizarre feel..
    Thanks in advance.
    It’s 2 and 1/4”. The 135 is a great guitar, really can do anything. It functions almost as well as a 175 in the jazz context. Very comfortable to play sitting down. If you could only have one guitar for all jazz/rock styles, this would be it (or a Tele).

If you could find one at a decent price, I’d go for it.

Having said that, since I got my 175 I don’t play the 135 much, cause the 175 is perfect for what I play. I don’t think I’ll get rid of the 135, but right now she’s doing wall duty while the 175 sits in a stand on the floor next to the amp.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Excellent! Thank you for this information
    That is what I'm expecting from the ES135, and you exactly described what it should be in my mind.
    The ES339 is a good guitar, but I'm not really enjoying the format.
    After half an hour or so, the neck dives more and more and I'm struggling to keep it on my lap.
    Yes it should be played with a strap, but i think I like when a guitar just sits in place with your body.

User Info Menu

I'f found someone who's ok to exchange my Es339 for a Es135 in natural with humbuckers.
    This video of this young lady kind of convinced me that the ES-135 is a great jazz guitar.. . What a great jazz sound and stellar playing

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jlvanukdJkk&feature=shares

User Info Menu

I did own a ES135 once at the same time as a ES175. The much newer 135 was heavy in terms of weight and feel when compared to the vintage 175. Some of the pros about the 135 is that it is a model that can be used for playing both standing and sitting down. They are affordable and sound pretty good.
    Gibson ES-135 - Sound difference between stoptail and trapeze tailpiece hollowbody?-175-135-jpg

I never could bond with my 135 and only kept is for a small period of time.
    The Epi 1962 Sorrento reissue is in term of dimensions a similar model, but entirely hollow with Gibson mini's on board. IMHO, it has a better playability compared to the Gibson 135, and weighs less, costs less as well.

Gibson ES-135 - Sound difference between stoptail and trapeze tailpiece hollowbody?-img_00611-jpg

User Info Menu

Interesting post.
    You think that the Epiphone has better playibility? Do you mean that the overall feel of the guitar is easier for you since the weight is less? Or pure playability of the neck?
    One thing I really notice at first between a low cost and higher end guitar is the neck feel.
    Yes, the lower cost
    may feel easy on the hand, but the higher end guitar just feels more solid
    Wasn't that the case?
    The opinions on the ES-135 are so different,, it's almost scary to invest in one
    Some guys say it's a jewel of a guitar, others says it's a complete dog, garbage instrument
    Well, I'm going to meet the guy tomorrow, about an hour and a half to go there
    If it isn't on par in quality and feel with the ES339, I'll just go back home and put the 339 on sale

NB : I've noticed that the inflation craze has also touched Epiphone (recent) laminate archtpops.. They are asked more than the new price.

And ES135 were about 1600€ to 1800 six months ago (I know I've been watching them for a while)
    Now they are fetching 2300 to 2500..
    That's getting pretty high for a guitar that is considered by some to be a low end Gibson.
    Crazy world
    Last edited by Jx30510; 02-05-2023 at 01:21 AM.

User Info Menu

We'll I've made it, I exchanged my Es339 for the ES-135.
    Man am I happy, a tremendous guitar! I'm still testing different strings and set up.
    Like I said, what I evaluate a guitar mostly (but not only) is the neck
    This one is a magnificent 3 piece maple neck, the rosewood is very hard and dense (feels a lot higher quality than the one on the 2022 ES339), the carve is just right.

I must say, in response to the above comment about Epiphone being a better alternative.. I've never seen an Epiphone have such quality neck (and I've had many Epiphones.. Es175 Premium, Korean Sheraton, James..Uhh signature thinline...)
    And overall this is a very good quality guitar..Gibson ES-135 - Sound difference between stoptail and trapeze tailpiece hollowbody?-img_20230207_082403-jpgGibson ES-135 - Sound difference between stoptail and trapeze tailpiece hollowbody?-img_20230207_083440-jpgGibson ES-135 - Sound difference between stoptail and trapeze tailpiece hollowbody?-img_20230207_083229-jpgGibson ES-135 - Sound difference between stoptail and trapeze tailpiece hollowbody?-img_20230207_083352-jpg

User Info Menu

Congratulations! She looks mighty pretty!

Funny enough, I find Gibson to be more consistent in quality, fit & finish with their lower-budget guitars (but it might be just my perception, I could be wrong).

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Looks like you found a good one!!
    ES135’s have always interested me, just never pulled the trigger.
    Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    We'll I've made it, I exchanged my Es339 for the ES-135.
    Man am I happy, a tremendous guitar! I'm still testing different strings and set up.
    Like I said, what I evaluate a guitar mostly (but not only) is the neck
    This one is a magnificent 3 piece maple neck, the rosewood is very hard and dense (feels a lot higher quality than the one on the 2022 ES339), the carve is just right.

I must say, in response to the above comment about Epiphone being a better alternative.. I've never seen an Epiphone have such quality neck (and I've had many Epiphones.. Es175 Premium, Korean Sheraton, James..Uhh signature thinline...)
    And overall this is a very good quality guitar..Gibson ES-135 - Sound difference between stoptail and trapeze tailpiece hollowbody?-img_20230207_082403-jpgGibson ES-135 - Sound difference between stoptail and trapeze tailpiece hollowbody?-img_20230207_083440-jpgGibson ES-135 - Sound difference between stoptail and trapeze tailpiece hollowbody?-img_20230207_083229-jpgGibson ES-135 - Sound difference between stoptail and trapeze tailpiece hollowbody?-img_20230207_083352-jpg

User Info Menu

I don’t think I‘ve seen a natural one IRL. They are not common. Very pretty though—always have loved blondes!

I think mine is an ‘02 also. My burst has chrome hardware. Not as blingy.

User Info Menu

Yes the gold hardware is ok, but I prefer nickel.
    I have a hole set of ABM parts (tailpiece, nashville tunomatic) and Schaller tuning pegs
    I might change them but the guitar sounds and plays so good I think I may not touch a thing. Like they say, if it works don't touch it.
    This guitar i is fantastic, I like it a whole lot more than the ES 339.
    It seems that it may have some kind of Gretsch thing going on when the two pickups are engaged.
    Beautiful jazz sound on the neck pickup. I think I've found a really good one. It's the best Gibson I've played so far
    Prices are rising, I heartly recommend them while they're not going too expensive

User Info Menu

Well, of course, the ES-137 is the bestest of them all, especially since I am selling one on this very forum, here:
    Gibson ES-137 Classic 2004 - from the citizenk74 collection

Attached Images Attached Images Gibson ES-135 - Sound difference between stoptail and trapeze tailpiece hollowbody?-gib-es137_4426-jpg