The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks to Ras, I have a new pedal--a brand new Brute Eq pedal that Ras built for me. I have had it for a couple of days, and I have played it with archtops (laminated and carved-body) and solid-body guitars into combo amps and into the "power amp in" point of a very neutral bass amplifier through a Polytone Mini Brute extension cabinet.

The pedal itself, of course, is the preamp circuit of the classic Polytone MiniBrute circuit--with its Baxandall tone circuitry--plus the addition of a high-pass filter that allows you to vary the knee on the filter from 40hz-140hz. This permits you to tame unpleasant "bass humps."

My first discovery was that the pedal easily permits me to reproduce the sound--going into the main amp in of an amp and playing into a MiniBrute extension cabinet--of any of my Polytone Mini Brute combo amps. I mean, this pedal really nails it. BINGO! Now, I can gig by taking a pedal to the show and run from the guitar to the pedal to the PA (or to a powered speaker). [I did this with a couple of my PAs...including one of my Polytone PAs.] Great tone. Also, I can go into the studio and run from my guitar to the pedal into the board, knowing that I can get "my" sound.

One bonus: the brite/normal switch on the pedal gets a more useful tone on the brite setting than my MiniBrutes do with their switches on brite. The guitar's response to harmonics is more vibrant and usable, IMO.

Ras, brother: you hit a home run. I will gladly recommend this pedal and working with you to anyone. Thanks.
    NPD (new pedal day)-new-brute-eq-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice!!! can't beat the baxandall circuit for tone

(next step is parametrics)

kudos all around..enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

GTs ultimate seal of approval

User Info Menu

From the picture it looks like you went with the smaller pedal size being offered now. I had the larger version a while back but had to sell it due to finanical reasons. But now I am ok and looking the build and buy another Ras. (Really nice guy BTW) Did you go back and forth on the pedal size? Or just went with a size the fits on your pedal board?

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Thanks to Ras, I have a new pedal--a brand new Brute Eq pedal that Ras built for me. I have had it for a couple of days, and I have played it with archtops (laminated and carved-body) and solid-body guitars into combo amps and into the "power amp in" point of a very neutral bass amplifier through a Polytone Mini Brute extension cabinet.

The pedal itself, of course, is the preamp circuit of the classic Polytone MiniBrute circuit--with its Baxandall tone circuitry--plus the addition of a high-pass filter that allows you to vary the knee on the filter from 40hz-140hz. This permits you to tame unpleasant "bass humps."

My first discovery was that the pedal easily permits me to reproduce the sound--going into the main amp in of an amp and playing into a MiniBrute extension cabinet--of any of my Polytone Mini Brute combo amps. I mean, this pedal really nails it. BINGO! Now, I can gig by taking a pedal to the show and run from the guitar to the pedal to the PA (or to a powered speaker). [I did this with a couple of my PAs...including one of my Polytone PAs.] Great tone. Also, I can go into the studio and run from my guitar to the pedal into the board, knowing that I can get "my" sound.

One bonus: the brite/normal switch on the pedal gets a more useful tone on the brite setting than my MiniBrutes do with their switches on brite. The guitar's response to harmonics is more vibrant and usable, IMO.

Ras, brother: you hit a home run. I will gladly recommend this pedal and working with you to anyone. Thanks.
    NPD (new pedal day)-new-brute-eq-jpg

User Info Menu

I just went with the smaller pedal. The difference is a switchable High Pass Filter. The HPF is precent on the smaller pedal, but it is not switchable--i.e., you cannot use it independent of the pedal being on or off. The bigger Brute EQ pedal lets you turn the pedal off and just use the HPF for taming bass peaks.

For example, with the big pedal you can play through a tweed Deluxe amp--that amplifies a huge amount of bass frequency information--and tame the bass by using the HPF...without making the Deluxe sound like a Polytone. Neat.
    NPD (new pedal day)-brute-eq-current-pedals-jpg