The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Eastman DM1-eastman-dm-1-jpg

Arrived yesterday! Amazing sound and player. Tons of volume and true to the Gypsy tone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ohhhh - very jealous here. I've looked at these (online) a few times, but don't have the chops to do it justice. Can't wait to hear some Django-style playing!

User Info Menu

I have a thread on here somewhere from when I got mine. Old-school sound, and really well made. The DM stands for Doug Martin, one of the regulars here

Have fun with it!

User Info Menu

Ooh, that's a beauty! Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 09-15-2020 at 09:29 PM. Reason: punk2ation

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Let us know what you think. I've no where to try one of these, but from the specs I've been considering ordering either the DM1 or DM2 online as a replacement from my Gitane DG-255. I'd really like to have a truss rod in my selmer style guitar
    For my initial reaction, after just two days: I have never played a Gitane so I have no basis for comparison. For some time, I owned and played a Cigano which was surprisingly nice considering the cost. To my ear, the Eastman is very powerful but not as "rough and rowdy" as the Cigano. It has a more refined and balanced tone but is very true to what I hear as the Gypsy sound. It is bright and powerful but richer in tone.

I am always surprised at how comfortable the long scale length (approx. 26.5") is on Macafferri style guitars. It seems counterintuitive that I can comfortably maneuver the fretboard, but it is really a fun guitar to play. The strings are a little heavy and the action is higher than I usually like. I can change the strings but have no intention of changing the height. I think I will adjust. All in all, it is a joy to play and I hope to eventually grow into it.

User Info Menu

Let us know what you think. I've no where to try one of these, but from the specs I've been considering ordering either the DM1 or DM2 online as a replacement from my Gitane DG-255. I'd really like to have a truss rod in my selmer style guitar
    You'll be pleased to know the DG-255 does indeed have an adjustable truss rod. It's accessed through the sound hole.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    For my initial reaction, after just two days: I have never played a Gitane so I have no basis for comparison. For some time, I owned and played a Cigano which was surprisingly nice considering the cost. To my ear, the Eastman is very powerful but not as "rough and rowdy" as the Cigano. It has a more refined and balanced tone but is very true to what I hear as the Gypsy sound. It is bright and powerful but richer in tone.

I am always surprised at how comfortable the long scale length (approx. 26.5") is on Macafferri style guitars. It seems counterintuitive that I can comfortably maneuver the fretboard, but it is really a fun guitar to play. The strings are a little heavy and the action is higher than I usually like. I can change the strings but have no intention of changing the height. I think I will adjust. All in all, it is a joy to play and I hope to eventually grow into it.
    If money were no option, I'd have both an Epi Broadway/Triumph and a Selmer repro.

The wide, classical style fingerboard is surprisingly comfortable. It is an adjustment if you're used to a Martin style flattop, but you can get used to it.

The tone always leaps out of these guitars ready to dance. Such an exuberant sound.

User Info Menu

Google tells me it's a 4mm Allen key.

User Info Menu

Thx ... My google was mostly concerned with selling me one more DG255
    Oh mine too. I just ignore those.

Here is a review for my Eastman. Maybe this will get the thread back on track:

I ordered my Eastman DM-1 CLA from Djangobooks through Amazon. (I ordered through Amazon instead of directly from Michael because I had built up major gift card credit which saved me a ton of money.) When the guitar arrived I was, of course, very impressed by the guitarists appearance. The antique classic finish is a sight to behold. And the rosewood back and sides were perfectly matched and beautiful. Upon first playing it, I was both impressed and just a little disappointed. It had a beautiful tone and impressive volume, but I kind of expected more. My first GJ guitar was a Cigano GJ-10 and I loved it. It was loud and rowdy; a bit unrefined which I really enjoyed. The Eastman sounded almost too subdued and, while I loved the feel of the ebony fretboard, the action seemed a little stiff. It felt like it was fighting me. I was not sure what string were installed. They looked a little old and felt like .011s. They were not Argentines for sure. I could tell by the lack of winding around the loop ends.

After a few days of playing, it grew on me and I was enjoying it more, but still wishing for a bit more energy. Finally, I installed a set of Argentine .010s and it came to life! While still more refined than the Cigano, it had a LOT more power and enough rowdiness to impress any Manouche guitarist. I also finally have the ability to bend and vibrato the way I am used to. There are a few spots on the fretboard that have some slight buzzing and I wonder if, due to the lower price on Amazon, the usual Djangobooks setup was not done. It is not enough to impair the sound, but eventually, when financially able, I will probably take it to a tech to see if it could use some slight tweaking.

All in all, it is (finally) far superior to my Cigano and extremely impressive. I will proudly jam and gig with it just as it is. A real keeper for sure!

Eastman DM1-6a47dfe8-e560-4e43-9627-e7801a6d93fd-jpgEastman DM1-488525cd-99ba-4fe2-94b4-5281dcd0c8d8-jpgEastman DM1-c7521239-d86e-48aa-83ce-17c2c6b2dd85-jpgEastman DM1-a4380a8a-68ae-43cd-a381-ab8625e389df-jpgEastman DM1-abd57def-83d5-4918-ac3b-dc501e3f514c-jpg
    I have no idea how to get the pictures in the proper position.

User Info Menu

How is the neck on your Eastman Dm1, more on the thick side?
    One thing I have a hard time to cope with on many Gypsyy guitars is the huge neck. I know the traditionalist like them like that, but for me they are sometimes at the limit of playable for people with small hands. You CAN always adapt, but I'd prefer a more regular size in the end.
    And have you lowered the action a bit without fret buzz issues if so?
    Thanks in advance

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    How is the neck on your Eastman Dm1, more on the thick side?
    One thing I have a hard time to cope with on many Gypsyy guitars is the huge neck. I know the traditionalist like them like that, but for me they are sometimes at the limit of playable for people with small hands. You CAN always adapt, but I'd prefer a more regular size in the end.
    And have you lowered the action a bit without fret buzz issues if so?
    Thanks in advance
    I had one for a few months before I moved onto a custom build from Craig Bumgarner. The Eastman is a nicely made guitar, and while it does sound nice, it doesn't (IMO) have the dry bark you expect from this style of guitar.

The neck is a chunky D shape. It felt like it was on the bigger side, but the shape was more prohibitive for me than the depth. All down to personal preference, I just happen to like a C shape. Because you're in France, I'd look for a used build like Dupont Nomad or even save a bit longer and have something from Cyril Gaffiero. You're in the most perfect place in the world to find brilliant manouche guitars.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am looking for a Dupont Nomad by the way!
    A bit curious about the Eastman since I have a T64 that I really love.. But Eastman might be a little too young in the Gypsy Guitar area to have made up their game yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am looking for a Dupont Nomad by the way!
    A bit curious about the Eastman since I have a T64 that I really love.. But Eastman might be a little too young in the Gypsy Guitar area to have made up their game yet.
    I've had several Eastman guitars, and they make incredible instruments. I just don't think they nailed the Manouche guitars like they have with nearly everything else they produce. The guitar tone was too wet, and lacked that loud, dry bark. Better sounding than an Altamira (similar cost), but still not authentic. No question I'd go for a used Nomad over the Eastman.

User Info Menu

I bought a DM1 last January. I began looking for a Sel-mac in 2019, after playing a friend's Craig Bumgarner, which was superb. My local store(for whom I do repair work) is an Eastman dealer, and since a Bumgarner was out of my budget, I suggested they bring in a DM1. They did, and I rented it for a month. At that time, I was not too impressed, and returned it. Fast forward to last January, when I tried the same DM1, still in the store. Very nice! I ended up bringing it home. While, yes, it's not a Bumgarner, it's an excellent instrument, especially for the money. Good tone, volume, build quality and fretwork. I have not played any other Asian Sel-mac copies, so I can't compare, but I'm very pleased with my DM1.

Mine is getting better with age and playing. Plenty of Manouche vibe for me.