The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

thought i'd give this one last chance before i break down and buy something else. allparts briefly carried these several years back, but i haven't seen any anywhere since. i believe they called them "lizard hat" knobs. looking to spice up my byrdland. if not, i'll go with the hofner teacup knobs and see what happens.

these are the knobs in question, if you're unfamiliar.
    epiphone carousel knobs?-cwgipdccwskslybx2nwv-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I saw some somewhere. I will look and report back.

By the way, I had a guitar just like that, only blond, traded it for an ES-335. I was. young and stupid. Don't do what I did!

User Info Menu

Allparts used to make them....they were part # PK-8173-028. Don't know if that helps at all. A quick google search didn't show any currently for sale anywhere that I could find.

User Info Menu

carousels may be hard to find these days...

i'd recommend harmony cupcakes over hofner teacups tho

cheap @

Knob - Vintage Cupcake, 1 Volume, 1 Tone, Push-On | Antique Electronic Supply

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-15-2020 at 01:46 PM.

User Info Menu

How about Harmony cupcake knobs as an alternative? Those can be had cheap (ebay for example):

*edit: Neatomic just beat me to it!

Perhaps this has taken a fortuitous turn

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson;[URL="tel:1061423"
    1061423[/URL]]I saw some somewhere. I will look and report back.

By the way, I had a guitar just like that, only blond, traded it for an ES-335. I was. young and stupid. Don't do what I did!
    oh no, that's just a pic I pulled off the internet to show off the knobs. But I am a bit of an epiphone guy, so I do have a mild fascination for the older stuff? Was it the pickup that made you trade it?

Curious why you guys think cupcakes are the way to go? What's wrong with the teacups? I've not dealt with either, and this is purely cosmetic. I'm just being fancy and I like how the teacups look, in light of the epi knob rarity. I suppose the cupcakes would be easier to manipulate, is that it? Curiously, I've had my eye on the new Harmony guitars, which have those knobs.

User Info Menu

Cupcakes only because they are easier to find, go for the teapots if you can find them!

User Info Menu

hofner teacups have the gold top...i prefer the all plastic/bakelite look....looks more vintage

also the teacups have an odd shape...carousel or cupcakes easier to handle

cheers

ps- teacups also don't have any markings on top..so harder to tell where you are with them

User Info Menu

Somebody DID make them recently, maybe it was all parts, because I bought some for my Korean Broadway several years back.

User Info Menu

Teacups, teapots, cupcakes. You guys are making me hungry.
    No shortage of repro teacups as well as cupcakes out there.
    In addition to the repro old-school Epi knobs, I have plenty of teacup knobs around here, in both cream/gold as well as NOS grey/chrome, made by Pekalit in Germany (and never used by Hofner in that colour, but waycool).

Note that the Epi knobs are very shallow compared to the others - most suitable for pickguard mounted controls, IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images epiphone carousel knobs?-epi-knobs-repro-jpg epiphone carousel knobs?-teacups-chrome-grey-jpg 

Wow, I had never considered the depth of those knobs. They came stock on elitist Broadways, which are just a giant byrdland, so I figured they'd be cool. But if the shallow knobs are more difficult to install or use, then that sucks.

Also didn't know teacups came in other colors. In keeping with the gold/cream thing the byrdland has going, I figure the standard ones are the way to go.

I'm a big fan of the pointer things, so I'm not too worried about the blank knobs, but maybe I'd use the set screw or a sticker as a reference. Guess I won't know for sure until I get ask of them and sit around with three or four sets of knobs and see which look and work the best.

User Info Menu

Shallower knobs aren't a problem to install, they just have more gap between the top and the knob, which is strictly an aesthetic issue. There are lots of pointer washers available, in all colors - black, silver, gold, and others. Benedetto knobs have no reference mark on the top, but judicious placement of the set screw when the knob is installed lets you see how it's set when in use. I mostly just use my ears, which is necessary when the controls are installed inside the treble f hole, out of sight. If I don't have enough volume, I turn it up a little until it's right. I have to do that even with chicken-head knobs on the top.

User Info Menu

Teacups come in cream/gold.
    At some point in the past few years, Chinese knock-offs have appeared, widely available for cheap via ebay and similar services.
    Pekalit made some in the 1950s in black w/gold inserts, for Hofner - those are impossibly rare to find.
    Pekalit made the grey/chrome ones, but I'm not sure for what purpose. A stash of NOS ones was uncovered a few years ago, shared by two or three people. Those are mostly gone now, except for the ones I have.

User Info Menu

$50 for two? I forgot about that guy. And I forgot how much I hated that guy. What kind of animal parts out cool guitars like that?

Appreciate you looking, though maybe just start with the teacups and see what happens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet

$50 for two? I forgot about that guy. And I forgot how much I hated that guy. What kind of animal parts out cool guitars like that?

Appreciate you looking, though maybe just start with the teacups and see what happens.
    $60 for a pair of vintage knobs is pretty reasonable. Not to defend the seller but the last set that sold on ebay brought over $200.
    That said if you can live w reissue knobs I get it.

no, you're right. that's a decent price for vintage plastic the gibson stuff of the era goes for way more.

but it's an epiphone that's not even 15 years old. i'm super fine with any old thing. it's just me being sassy, after all.

User Info Menu

I see it's not a buy it now auction so it's very likely they bring much more than the starting price.