The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Finished this awhile back and put my normal 10-46 GHS Burnished Rockers on it but feel like I need to go heavier. Not sure I'm ready to spring the $$$ for Thomastik but I'll listen to suggestions. Using it for mostly chord melody; pickup is DiMarzio 36th Anniversary; 25.5" scale; 1-3/4" nut. Guitar is completely hollow with only a block under the bridge. Thoughts?
    Which Flatwounds....?-tiger-eye-5-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thomastik, hands down, they are worth the extra expense.

User Info Menu

Seems obvious - why not get try a heavier set of GHS Burnished Rockers?
    BNR-M - BURNISHED NICKEL ROCKERS™ - Medium 011-050 | 011 | 014 | 018 | BNR28 | BNR38 | BNR50

MORE GHS NOT-FLATWOUNDS:

or try some other GHS sets that are related:
    GHS Nickel Rockers - pure nickel wrap, rollerwound:
    R+RMSETS - NICKEL ROCKERS™ - Medium 011-050 | 011 | 015
    | 018 | N26 | N36 | N50
    R+EJMSETS - NICKEL ROCKERS™ - Custom Medium
    | 011-052 | 011 | 014 | 019 | N28 | N40 | N52

GHS Nickel Rockers - pure nickel wrap, rollerwound, with a wound 3rd string:
    1315SETS - NICKEL ROCKERS™ WOUND 3RD - Light 011-050
    | 011 | 013 | N18 | N26 | N38 | N50
    1400SETS - NICKEL ROCKERS™ WOUND 3RD - Medium Light 012-054
    | 012 | 015 | N22 | N28 | N42 | N54
    TM1500SETS - NICKEL ROCKERS™ WOUND 3RD - True Medium 013-056
    | 013 | 017 | N24 | N32 | N42 |
    N56

Last edited by Hammertone; 09-16-2020 at 02:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Thomastik, hands down, they are worth the extra expense.
    I found I have too many guitars here to change the JS112 set out on a regular basis. I also found I was not fond of the TI plain strings. I think I have reduced by cost substantially by stocking up on single 3rd and 4th strings. I find it's obvious when those need changing as you can easily feel the wear from frets on the string. I find 3rd strings wear quickly. Not sure how often I will change the 5th and 6th strings. I think the biggest cost savings come when you stop experimenting with strings and settle for a set you like. I experimented with a lot of flatwound strings before ending up here. I used to like the SIT 12 - 50 flatwound set, but they discontinued it several years ago.

User Info Menu

TIs are the gold standard it seems. Pyramids with round cores are similar and a little cheaper. D'Addario Chromes are cheaper and pretty good. Rotosounds are less expensive and decent, too.

I also use Half Rounds from D'Addario and GHS Brite Flats. They feel a little rough at first but do sound more like a round wound. Prior to installing them I use about six strokes of fine sandpaper or the equivalent to smooth out the roughness on all sides. After installation if they still feel a little rough, I put a plastic fretboard protector under the strings and rub just the tops until acceptably smooth. All of this adds about 5 minutes to a string change. I got this idea from what I heard Johnny Smith used to do on his heavier round wounds. He put a Coke bottle under the strings and sanded some of the roughness off to prevent squeaks.

I keep a supply of 5th and 6th string replacements. They corrode. I don't find the differences in the various brands of these matter much.

Watch for sales.

User Info Menu

I Like GHS Brite Flats. 12s should do nicely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Finished this awhile back and put my normal 10-46 GHS Burnished Rockers on it but feel like I need to go heavier. Not sure I'm ready to spring the $$$ for Thomastik but I'll listen to suggestions. Using it for mostly chord melody; pickup is DiMarzio 36th Anniversary; 25.5" scale; 1-3/4" nut. Guitar is completely hollow with only a block under the bridge. Thoughts?
    Which Flatwounds....?-tiger-eye-5-jpg
    Nice Tele.
    I sugest D'Addario EXL115 Nickel Wound Blues-Jazz Rock 11-49.

Not expensive to try.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

TI Swing strings are indeed excellent and expensive. But I’ve been happy with Rotosound RS200 Top Tape strings. They only come in one gauge though. Despite the marketing, I don’t think they are really monel.
    Rotosound RS200 Top Tape

I only use them on one guitar though. Most of my electrics have D’Addario EJ21 roundwounds.

User Info Menu

I know a lot of people here like the Thomastiks. I tried them and really didn’t like them. I prefer D’Addario Chromes. Also, my experience is the Chromes seem to last forever, and are less expensive. I only change the strings after 9 to 12 months, not really because I think it’s needed. I change them more so from feeling guilty for not.

User Info Menu

Lots of people here complain about their Thomastiks.

User Info Menu

Thomasticks too expensive and weird gages I cannot figure why they are like so much? Could be the player I am a little slow and clumsy on the neck but I am not paying them premium prices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Thomasticks too expensive and weird gages I cannot figure why they are like so much? Could be the player I am a little slow and clumsy on the neck but I am not paying them premium prices.
    There much less expensive in Europe than in the US. Vice versa for Chromes.

John

User Info Menu

Chromes. Love them; they’re all I’ve used for at least 20 years. I use .12s on my Les Paul, .11s on my Tele, .13s on my L50. I even use them on my flattops.