The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No affiliation etc etc......

But is this a solid wood guitar ? If so - - -

1951 Gibson ES-150

Thanks....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It’s just the top that has been cut to have an arch. There a great Belgium furniture maker showing how to cut away wood from a thick plank to create an arch top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

'Slab cut' usually refers to flat sawn, rather than rift or quarter sawn. (Although slab cutting will actually produce all three.)

In this case it looks like they're just referring to the outer laminate.

User Info Menu

Dennis: It's a laminated guitar. They are describing how the wood veneer for the outside surfaces was cut.
    Jay typed it faster than I did, ha!

User Info Menu

Oops! I was wrong here. Sounds deceptive to call it arch top if it is flat top. But maybe we should all know an es150....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks to all......

..Leave it to Joe V's embellishments.....

Hope we're not back to :

" Will a slab cut maple laminate top sound different from a quarter sawn maple laminate top ? ".....or

" Will a slab cut spruce laminate sound better with hide glue vs ' Elmers' ? ....

Et cetera, et cetera......: )

User Info Menu

Sounds like some very creative wording to call the construction “slab cut”. That’s not the materials used, and exactly as happened here subtly suggests solid wood construction without saying it. The materials are formed laminated woods, maybe the laminate is all maple at that point in Gibson history, I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t think all of the layers would be maple.

By the way, the nut is clearly not aluminum either. I’m sure it’s been done, but I’ve never seen an aluminum but.

User Info Menu

Aluminum nut? Looks like plastic to me.

User Info Menu

I have been following the whole Nikola kerfuffle: that the Nikola One prototype truck was stated as "being in motion" says nothing about its being in motion under its own propulsion. It is exactly that: being in motion...rolling down a gradient.

So, it is with "slabcut maple": it is slabcut maple and says nothing about its being solid or handcarved. It is slabcut as in slabcut figure. If it is solid and handcarved it will be stated so.

You will learn to parse Archtop dot com blurbs after a while: what is not stated is not expressly implied-a contradiction of terms, if you are looking for one.