The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 77

User Info Menu

Here’s Tim Lerch’s DeArmond RC1100 reissue on a vintage Epiphone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A floating CC. There are many reversible nondestructive options.

User Info Menu

A ‘59 L-7CN with a Lollar Johnny Smith.

User Info Menu

3 nice examples Kirk. it isn't rocket science.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Like the sound and the playing -- just not the look of the p/u.

User Info Menu

A floating CC. There are many reversible nondestructive options.
    Like that sound too and the playing.

Thx.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    it isn't rocket science.
    That's exactly what the plumber said the last time he was over - just before he handed me the bill.

: )

User Info Menu

If looks are more important than sound, then go for whichever pickup you think looks the best. If you care at all about sound, get a DeArmond. Only you know what is more important to you. It's your money, so buy whatever you want, and our opinions are moot. Apparently your mind is made up, so I don't know why you're even asking here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If looks are more important than sound, then go for whichever pickup you think looks the best. If you care at all about sound, get a DeArmond. Only you know what is more important to you. It's your money, so buy whatever you want, and our opinions are moot. Apparently your mind is made up, so I don't know why you're even asking here.
    ...No, my mind isn't made up yet, and won't be 'til I talk to my luthier. I'm asking here so I can learn something.

User Info Menu

My ideal guitar.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk1701
    My ideal guitar.
    the player's not too shabby either! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Hi Dennis, I developed a magnetic pickup back in the 80's that surface mounted, initially to improve sustain on solid body guitars. I have since fitted them to loads of acoustic and hybrid guitars and now put one on my latest Jazz model, at the end of the fingerboard, between the strings and the soundboard. Have a look at the demo of the prototype

I would consider working with you on this one as I did something similar for someone else recently and it was extremely successful, with no mods to the host guitar required. Let me know if you are interested. All the best, Blue Clark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    I'm very happy with the Jason Lollar Gold Foil single coil floater on my '44 L7. It sounds fabulous.
    FWIW I'm still in the ' pending ' part of the decision...Haven't hooked up with my luthier yet.

But I just had to say that whoever did that work did a really good job !

And one question, pls. - - am I correct in my measurements, that as you move from the position of 'snug up to the neck' - towards the bridge, you actually lose clearance, because the top has a 'crown' to it ? Then the top levels out and slopes downward - as you get closer to the bridge ?

Thanks again for the photo.

User Info Menu

As you get closer to the bridge, there should be more clearance. The angle of the neck join has more to do with it than the shape of the top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    As you get closer to the bridge, there should be more clearance. The angle of the neck join has more to do with it than the shape of the top.

Yes - - I'm mistaken again. Meaning, when in doubt measure.

So my L-7 looks like 5/8 clear at the neck and then a gradual increase to 7/8 clear at the bridge.

Thanks !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the player's not too shabby either! hah
    Yeah, he's really coming along lately. Hope he keeps at it!

User Info Menu

I always thought the McCarty Fingerrest Pickup looked funny. Until I got an L7, then it made sense: Electrify and Preserve. Not only preserving the structural integrity of the guitar, you preserve originality as those pickups could have been fitted at the factory or by the owner.

Resigned to Electrifying my '52 L-7 Acoustic - P/U suggestions, pls.-screen-shot-2020-10-02-3-20-53-pm-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    I always thought the McCarty Fingerrest Pickup looked funny. Until I got an L7, then it made sense: Electrify and Preserve. Not only preserving the structural integrity of the guitar, you preserve originality as those pickups could have been fitted at the factory or by the owner.

Resigned to Electrifying my '52 L-7 Acoustic - P/U suggestions, pls.-screen-shot-2020-10-02-3-20-53-pm-jpg
    I always thought they looked funny too ! Then I got a guitar with one on it, and I've never regretted removing it. I never could get used to it.

And truth be told, they never really caught on at all, so I couldn't have been the only one who didn't like them.

Just MHO........

User Info Menu

Dennis,

There is the convexity to which you refer. However, it is maximum at the the bridge facing edge of the pickup and then begins to fall away at an increasing rate. There is plenty of room underneath my pickup at that point, so I don't think that it would be a problem for me to move it in that direction. It mounts very cleanly to the pickguard. Maybe this pic will show what i describe, but it's hard holding the guitar up to the light with one hand and snapping a photo with the other. Hopefully, my guitar playing has helped with coordinating right and left hands enough!
    Resigned to Electrifying my '52 L-7 Acoustic - P/U suggestions, pls.-20201003_153626-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Dennis,

There is the convexity to which you refer. However, it is maximum at the the bridge facing edge of the pickup and then begins to fall away at an increasing rate. There is plenty of room underneath my pickup at that point, so I don't think that it would be a problem for me to move it in that direction. It mounts very cleanly to the pickguard. Maybe this pic will show what i describe, but it's hard holding the guitar up to the light with one hand and snapping a photo with the other. Hopefully, my guitar playing has helped with coordinating right and left hands enough!
    Resigned to Electrifying my '52 L-7 Acoustic - P/U suggestions, pls.-20201003_153626-jpg
    Thought so. Thanks for posting that photo. I'm assuming that's the same guitar & p/u as your earlier post ? If so am I right - there's actually some daylight under that p/u ? I've read here that some people place a piece of felt under their p/u's . That previous photo of the install looks like that's as low as that p/u will go, but then from this angle it looks like there's another 1/8-1/16 of an inch to be gained by resting the p/u on the top and then adjusting the side brackets accordingly, or ??
    And - - do any of these p/u's generate heat ? I have some odd marks on the top of my guitar from where the McCarty would've rested - or may have rested.
    Thanks for all the help.

User Info Menu

If a passive magnetic pickup generates any heat, it's toast. It should not ever be warmer than ambient temperature, give or take a fraction of a degree.

User Info Menu

. I never could get used to it..
    You were probably not the only one as Gibson discontinued it just like they discontinued the single cutaway Les Paul.

User Info Menu

I have some odd marks on the top of my guitar from where the McCarty would've rested - or may have rested
    If McCarty wanted it or not I don't know but I think they need to be setup so they touch the top. Too flimsy to actually float between the strings and top.

User Info Menu

Not trying to make a case for the use of McCarty pickguard/pickup units, but here's some of what I've learned.

When these McCartys were new they were straight and were likely mounted without touching the top.
    The marks on your guitar were likely caused by years of it making some contact due to warping and mounting issues.
    Sometimes the reinforcement strip on the back is tortoise material and will begin to gas off and deteriorate.

I have working McCartys on an L-7, an L-7c and an L-4c and none touch the top.

Because of age and shrinkage I had to straighten the warp in the laminated celluloid nitrate material to make them sit correctly. It takes lots of patience to get that far and then have to fuss with the side mount brackets and mount block under the pickguard to get everything lined up.
    After all that sometimes the pots can sometimes be trouble, but I've been very happy with the pickups.

If necessary I might use a small felt block that sits under the pickup extension and allow that to contact the top to adjust the bass side pickup height.

I understand that restoring these is a lot of trouble sometimes....some people don't like the look and others the sound, and there are other easier options these days, but I'm quite happy with them!

icr made a beautiful reproduction BTW......
    Last edited by zizala; 10-04-2020 at 10:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    And - - do any of these p/u's generate heat ?
    The current induced in the pickup due to string vibration is so tiny that the heat generated is undetectable.
    Last edited by KirkP; 10-04-2020 at 07:37 PM.