The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

““I would never have predicted that we would be looking at having a record year,” said Andy Mooney, the chief executive of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation, the Los Angeles-based guitar giant that has equipped Rock & Roll Hall of Famers since Buddy Holly strapped on a 1954 sunburst Fender Stratocaster back in the tail-fin 1950s.

“We’ve broken so many records,” Mr. Mooney said. “It will be the biggest year of sales volume in Fender history, record days of double-digit growth, e-commerce sales and beginner gear sales. I never would have thought we would be where we are today if you asked me back in March.”

“It’s not just graying baby boomer men looking to live out one last Peter Frampton fantasy. Young adults and teenagers, many of them female, are helping to power this guitar revival, manufacturers and retailers said, putting their own generational stamp on the instrument that rocked their parents’ generation while also discovering the powers of six-string therapy.”

“I’ve been in the instrument retail business for 25-plus years and I’ve never seen anything like it,” Brendan Murphy, a senior salesman at Sweetwater, an online retailer of guitars and other instruments, wrote in an email in July. “It feels like every day is black Friday.”

“It’s crazy,” said Mr. Martin, the sixth-generation Martin to run the company. “It’s unbelievable the demand there is right now for acoustic guitars. I’ve been through guitar booms before, but this one caught me completely by surprise.”

Guitars Are Back, Baby: Women and Gen Z Fuel Record Sales During Pandemic - The New York Times

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Apparently being isolated will make you play guitar ... Pity as I was hoping for good guitar deals once the covid19 crisis had settled in, but instead everything is dry AF ... oh well
    You can still get a deal on 100 watt heads and cabs with four 12" speakers.

In fact last month I scored a Crown amp from Sweetwater and was able to talk them down 10% from their sale price.

User Info Menu

"“It’s not just graying baby boomer men looking to live out one last Peter Frampton fantasy..."

I'm glad the guitar companies are doing well. As for this, mmm.. dunno.. disappointing maybe?, view of boomer players, seems every person I've known who has put in the hours to learn guitar does it because they love music. Not because they have delusions of grandeur. Of course they do sell a lot of artist model guitars so what do I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Apparently being isolated will make you play guitar ... Pity as I was hoping for good guitar deals once the covid19 crisis had settled in, but instead everything is dry AF ... oh well
    Not to be optimistic/pessimistic Guitar Sales Skyrocketing: NY TIMES but I’m sure there will be lots of deals before Christmas for ‘unused’ used gear from people who had great intentions but didn’t follow through and will need Christmas money.

User Info Menu

This article seems to be source of 2-3 other threads.

User Info Menu

I'm in Nashville and my local store has so few guitars on the wall it's scary. The word is that they have them ordered but aren't getting them in. I can attest the my guitar buying has dramatically increased. I'm also selling everything I don't like or don't play. It seems like it's taking longer on the used for sale market for me though.
    Last edited by BillyHell; 09-13-2020 at 04:39 PM.

User Info Menu

weird, i've seen some really good deals used in NYC on CL... there was a MIJ strat for $350 the other day...
    I guess I should try to start teaching again

User Info Menu

The only thing selling better than guitars is GUNS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Store idea—just came to me—Guns ‘N’ Gibsons.

I might copyright this so no one else can steal the idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    bicycles

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Store idea—just came to me—Guns ‘N’ Gibsons.

I might copyright this so no one else can steal the idea.
    Better make it Guns 'N" Fenders. When the ammo runs out, guns are somewhat useless. But a Telecaster makes for a deadly club. With Gibson's, you would be left holding a broken headstock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Better make it Guns 'N" Fenders. When the ammo runs out, guns are somewhat useless. But a Telecaster makes for a deadly club. With Gibson's, you would be left holding a broken headstock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    bicycles
    New triathlon:

Bike 50 miles

Shoot 100 targets at 100M

Play Stairway to Heaven, BlackBerry Blossom and Cherokee (Joe Pass version)

The winner gets a lifetime subscription to Guitar Magazine, Bicycyling Magazine and Guns’n’Ammo...

User Info Menu

Hopefully this will be part of a renewing of appreciation for live music once we get through all of the lock downs.

User Info Menu

Might backfire, we'll be competing with everybody who has just bought a guitar since lock down and the way that is likely to sound could make everyone stay away from live music. Of course people like karoke so maybe it won't matter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    bicycles
    so true, the bike store around the corner stayed open the whole time, and there was a line around the block (they didn't have customers inside) for 4 months straight, and last time i looked, they didnt' have anything in stock
    as for guitars, most of the people who bought guitars during a pandemic, will not actually learn to play them, and will eventually sell them used.