The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all - would love to see if anyone’s compared the Gibson 275 models. One is called a custom the other is “figured, or thinline”.

I know the thinline/figured has a center block, stoptail, and tune o matic rather than the floating bridge on the customs I’ve seen. Can anyone compare the sound?? Also, what are the body depths of
    the two guitars, I can’t find them anywhere!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I found this thread on TGP: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...-size.1770098/

In it, someone wrote:

Directly from Gibson service department:

Thickness : 2.125" +/-.015
    Body Length : 18.920" +/- .010
    Lower Bout Width ; 15.248" +/- .010

User Info Menu

I've played several variations - custom with richlite, standard with rosewood, limited edition hollow with P90, and the semi hollow version - but at times so far apart that I'm unable to compare. Sorry!

I recently picked up a 2016 fully hollow model in cherry red with rosewood board and trapezoid inlays. The appointments on that version - rosewood, trapezoids, klusons - appeal to me more than the custom version. I've basically stopped playing all my other guitars since getting it. I can hardly wait until I can try it live or at rehearsals to see how it performs in that context.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJay
    I've played several variations - custom with richlite, standard with rosewood, limited edition hollow with P90, and the semi hollow version - but at times so far apart that I'm unable to compare. Sorry!

I recently picked up a 2016 fully hollow model in cherry red with rosewood board and trapezoid inlays. The appointments on that version - rosewood, trapezoids, klusons - appeal to me more than the custom version. I've basically stopped playing all my other guitars since getting it. I can hardly wait until I can try it live or at rehearsals to see how it performs in that context.
    id love to see pictures, or better yet a video of its best jazz straight ahead tone. There’s so few good videos of people demonstrating good jazz tones on 275s, 350s, and 135s which are what I’m looking at.

User Info Menu

Here's a picture:

Gibson 275: custom vs figured?-es-275-jpg

Right after I got it I recorded a 90 second jam to a friend's drum loop. I went direct into the computer and used a generic solid state amp sim. This is not the best, but at least it's a clean sound. The seller had .010s on the guitar, which is what was on for this recording. Eventually, hopefully soon, I'll got to heavier gauge flats. My tube amps are sort of packed away at the moment as I moved recently.

User Info Menu

Very nice.

I have one of the same model as yours. None of the often heard criticisms of recent Memphis Gibsons were applicable.

The two best new concepts Gibson delivered on in the last few decades are the Johnny A and the 275 IMO. I haven't played the solid form, but that may be a third.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Very nice.

I have one of the same model as yours. None of the often heard criticisms of recent Memphis Gibsons were applicable.

The two best new concepts Gibson delivered on in the last few decades are the Johnny A and the 275 IMO. I haven't played the solid form, but that may be a third.
    I agree with your assessment on the 275 and Johnny A - really fantastic ideas and execution on those ideas from Gibson.

User Info Menu

I owned both the Cherry and Montrex (sp) burst finishes. Loved the 15" body. As for the burst this could have changed since I owned one. But the top was veneer. $2000 -$2500 for a veneer top. I sold it thinking there are better value for the money.

Epiphone ES 339, and Johnny A models were the answer for myself. 14" lower bouts. Price extremely well and get the job done. The ES 339 at $400 new with hardware, wiring, and pickup Jason Lollar Imperial low winds, upgrades, a little over $1000. The Johnny A comes with gold hardware, Bigsby, 2 Gibson 57s, ebony fretboard and AAAA veneer top under $1000. Changing out the Bigsby for a stopbar. New wiring, bridge, and tuner upgrades. I paid $700 new for the Johnny A. With upgrades just under $1000.