The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 65

User Info Menu

I have been searching for a nice clean Gibson Johnny Smith for a long time. They don’t seem to come up very often here in Canada, but I finally found one. This guitar belonged to a good friend of mine for many years, and I always told him to call me if he ever decided to part with it. Well, I got that call a few days ago and I went on a road trip today to pick it up. It’s a 1969 sunburst, in mint condition. It is truly an amazing guitar, the model that has inspired so many modern archtops. I feel very fortunate to have finally acquired one of these.
    Keith
    Gibson Johnny Smith-288a4af1-c654-40eb-b88c-f35f5813bba9-jpgGibson Johnny Smith-f61f7cfa-91a9-43bd-a436-484c94a9a124-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats. An iconic archtop. May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Congrats. An iconic archtop. May she inspire your playing for many years to come.
    Thanks SS. I agree. This really is an iconic archtop, endorsed by one of my all time favorite guitarists. I’m pretty excited to be the new caretaker of this fine instrument.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Gibson Johnny Smith-362ac2fa-667a-404b-9f55-e5301992b783-jpeg

User Info Menu

Congrats - what a beautiful guitar.The Gibson Johnny Smiths are a terrific design. Very focused tone with bell like clarity to the last frets - due (in part) to to the internal fingerboard support block. The Johnny Smith and LeGrands are my favorite Gibson’s .

Wishing you many years of enjoyment- a very smart buy !

User Info Menu

Nice one Keith, looks real clean too.
    A friend just scored a blonde '69, maybe the best one I've ever played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Congrats - what a beautiful guitar.The Gibson Johnny Smiths are a terrific design. Very focused tone with bell like clarity to the last frets - due (in part) to to the internal fingerboard support block. The Johnny Smith and LeGrands are my favorite Gibson’s .

Wishing you many years of enjoyment- a very smart buy !
    Thanks QAman. The fingerboard support block seems to have a positive effect on the tone/sustain in the upper register.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Nice one Keith, looks real clean too.
    A friend just scored a blonde '69, maybe the best one I've ever played.
    Blonde! Wow, that’s a rare one.
    Keith

User Info Menu

What a gorgeous instrument! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Blonde! Wow, that’s a rare one.
    Keith
    Yeah, it's all beat up but original.
    I'm usually not crazy about shorter scale thinner archtops but his plays and sounds as good as any full depth long scale guitar.
    Are you certain yours is a '69? The color looks more like a '68, alot of '67-'68s are tobacco burst but '69s are usually more cherry reddish color until around '73.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Yeah, it's all beat up but original.
    I'm usually not crazy about shorter scale thinner archtops but his plays and sounds as good as any full depth long scale guitar.
    Are you certain yours is a '69? The color looks more like a '68, alot of '67-'68s are tobacco burst but '69s are usually more cherry reddish color until around '73.
    The darker sunburst was what really appealed to me about this guitar. I also thought it was typical of a ‘67-68, but the s/n seems to be ‘69 (533442).
    Gibson Johnny Smith-0c7a29bb-55ca-4f29-8553-857673bcc066-jpg

User Info Menu

One of the all time greatest guitars! Welcome to the club. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    One of the all time greatest guitars! Welcome to the club. Enjoy!
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Congratulations !

"I will not covet my neighbor's goods!"

User Info Menu

Nice guitar! I mean, it's no Hofner Chancellor, but, still, nice guitar.

User Info Menu

Keith, I am so happy for you man.
    The GJS was No doubt the best guitar I ever had. The bank vault like build, the playability and the tight sound that sustains for days are just a few points that make your new guitar the best ever. The pickup sounds unbelievably good. The best of all pickups in my book.
    Your guitar looks absolutely beautiful. It is so cool that it ended up your hands, where it will be played right and appreciated by a guy who has played the best of the best.
    Congratulations Keith. I am pumped for you.
    JD

User Info Menu

Your serial number is very close to mine which I think is a '68Gibson Johnny Smith-106_0669-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrichman
    Your serial number is very close to mine which I think is a '68
    MR:
    That’s a beauty. I like your added tone control. I had this actual guitar at my house many years ago, and I always thought it was a ‘68. Now, when I look at the s/n it comes up as a ‘69, which is surprising to me. I have other Gibson’s where the s/n is clearly not right for the year, so perhaps that is the case here as well. Either way, I love the guitar. It’s just like yours!
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Keith, I am so happy for you man.
    The GJS was No doubt the best guitar I ever had. The bank vault like build, the playability and the tight sound that sustains for days are just a few points that make your new guitar the best ever. The pickup sounds unbelievably good. The best of all pickups in my book.
    Your guitar looks absolutely beautiful. It is so cool that it ended up your hands, where it will be played right and appreciated by a guy who has played the best of the best.
    Congratulations Keith. I am pumped for you.
    JD
    Joe:
    Thanks for your kind comments. You are always such a positive person. You are really enjoying that new Wes, so we are both happy campers.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Nice guitar! I mean, it's no Hofner Chancellor, but, still, nice guitar.
    Maybe I’ll find that special Chancellor some day too!

User Info Menu

Here's a pair of them I used to own from '68/9:

Gibson Johnny Smith-johnny-smith-69-jpg

Outstanding guitars--enjoy yours!

Danny W.

User Info Menu

@Danny W.: Dood, you need to buy the Anderson Little Archie!
    Andersen Little Archie Hybrid - 14" carved fully hollow archtop [$4995]

@mrichman: Morey, that's clearly an old photo, based on the bridge base.

@Keith: I have your Chancellor right here, waiting for you. We'll sort it out in October, eh? In the meantime, enjoy the JS!

User Info Menu

Gibson Johnny Smith-il_794xn_2434170619_2jlq-jpg

...Ok so I've never owned a real JS - -I've had to settle for the album !! I'll never forget the first time I saw this album. I'd never bought any album 'cause it had a Les Paul or a Strat on the cover - -and there were plenty !! But, I sure as **** bought this one and never regretted it for a second !

Congrats and enjoy it for a long time in good health !

Dennis

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Keith! A beautiful instrument that now resides in very capable hands. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

What a stuning guitar! And '69 is considered a great year. Congrats !