Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 65

User Info Menu

+1 what Fred Archtop said

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    What a stuning guitar! And '69 is considered a great year. Congrats !
    They have great years? What are the great years for the JS model? Enlighten me Sir....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    Here's a pair of them I used to own from '68/9:

Outstanding guitars--enjoy yours!

Danny W.
    Danny:
    Those are a couple of beauties!
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Congratulations, Keith! A beautiful instrument that now resides in very capable hands. Enjoy!
    Not a D’Aquisto, but a great guitar anyway.
    Thanks,
    Keith

User Info Menu

I've always admired the GJS. It was very thoughtfully designed in the bracing, neck block, scale length and nut width.

Despite the specs, each instrument is a bit different. There were a few guys at Gibson who did the plate carving and the brace shaping. Each had a their own approach. As I recall there were four of them. One was Aaron Cowles and another was Marv Lamb. Jim Hutchins and Jim Deurloo may have been the other two. I don't recall. Wilbur Fuller was probably involved, too.

All of them did many other things besides high end archtops and flattops. But only a few Gibson employees carved and braced the elite guitars.

Aaron Cowles and Pete Moreno (who did not do the elite work) told me that these guys had different approaches to their builds of the body. They were small differences but ones they believed in. Despite those differences they respected each other while disagreeing.

I have not heard of a bad or even mediocre GJS. It's a dream guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Joe:
    Thanks for your kind comments. You are always such a positive person. You are really enjoying that new Wes, so we are both happy campers.
    Keith
    Hi Keith, With all due respect, you NEVER bring about anything else other than positivity on this forum. Thats why I like you so much.
    The Gibson Johnny Smith, as MartyGrass puts it, is an absolutely elite instrument. In my book it has its place in the pantheon of the greatest guitars ever made. From the name of the endorsee, to the absolute perfection of it as an instrument - IMO, it doesn't get any better.
    And to see a perfect example of a 50 year old guitar is a treat. Your guitar looks new. A time capsule. A testiment to how it was cared for and the materials/expertise used in the build of it.
    You got a good one buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

A incredible score indeed. Even our good friend Mark Campellone would covet owning that one. A big Congrats Keith. A tough act to follow.

User Info Menu

Johnny Smith designed the fingerboard extension design for the guitar. You can hear how good the results are on any of Smith's 60's records.

Enjoy your guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Johnny Smith designed the fingerboard extension design for the guitar. You can hear how good the results are on any of Smith's 60's records.

Enjoy your guitar.
    I have a number of guitars that have single floating pickups, like the GJS. I agree with you, that the fingerboard extension defintely increases the sustain in the upper register. I grew up listening to those 1960’s Johnny Smith recordings and always loved his tone. Always wanted a JS but it never worked out until now.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    A incredible score indeed. Even our good friend Mark Campellone would covet owning that one. A big Congrats Keith. A tough act to follow.
    When I ordered my Campellone Special, I asked Mark to make me a guitar based on the same specs as the Gibson Johnny Smith. It is basically the same guitar - same body size, scale length and nut width. I would actually have trouble choosing one over the other. The Campellone is fantastic too.
    Keith
    Gibson Johnny Smith-3e7c9f84-34dc-4b12-9b54-c4b00eba0520-jpg

User Info Menu

That’s one beautiful GJS Keith. You should feel honored to own it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    That’s one beautiful GJS Keith. You should feel honored to own it!
    Thanks! Yes I am honored to own this guitar.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Congratulations! What a guitar! That is just stunning!

Over 50 years old and clean as a whistle! What a find! Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Correct!!!

User Info Menu

A gorgeous instrument/work of art. Congrats!

User Info Menu

I have owned 2 Johnny Smith Gibson's and sold them years ago. I have my Campy and while it is an 18 inch guitar it is far superior to the GJS's in sound department. One I had was a mint 1974 or so and a beauty, other than the pickguard started gassing bad it was fine. The Campy is just above and beyond but if you find the right GJS you have a winner of the first matter.

I actually find the LeGrands to be even better the GJS's. I think when Gibson brought the Legrand out they wanted to make sure it was a superior guitar in all respects given they lost the right to Johnny Smith. In my estimation the Legrand maybe be the best Gibson for the money compared to Citations and even L5's.

Clearly Keith you have a winner guitar and winners in the vault...............good work.

User Info Menu

DM I must agree. I have many Gibson archtops but my 2 Campellone guitars just sound and play better and I am a Gibson boy more than Tal Farlow was, BUT.....when Gibson gets it right nobody can touch them.
    I bought a brand new GJS in 1979. So did a friend with monster chops.
    Mine was a turd and his was magical.

User Info Menu

DM I must agree. I have many Gibson archtops but my 2 Campellone guitars just sound and play better and I am a Gibson boy more than Tal Farlow was, BUT.....when Gibson gets it right nobody can touch them.
    I bought a brand new GJS in 1979. So did a friend with monster chops.
    Mine was a turd and his was magical.
    My Campellone and my GJS are actually very close in terms of sound. As many of you know, I’m a big fan of Mark Campellone’s guitars, but I like the GJS a lot too.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I have owned 2 Johnny Smith Gibson's and sold them years ago. I have my Campy and while it is an 18 inch guitar it is far superior to the GJS's in sound department. One I had was a mint 1974 or so and a beauty, other than the pickguard started gassing bad it was fine. The Campy is just above and beyond but if you find the right GJS you have a winner of the first matter.

I actually find the LeGrands to be even better the GJS's. I think when Gibson brought the Legrand out they wanted to make sure it was a superior guitar in all respects given they lost the right to Johnny Smith. In my estimation the Legrand maybe be the best Gibson for the money compared to Citations and even L5's.

Clearly Keith you have a winner guitar and winners in the vault...............good work.
    I have played a some amazing LeGrands too. The shorter scale and wider nut on the JS is pretty comfortable though. My problem, is that I like them all!
    Keith

User Info Menu

I must say the GJS is one of best looking Gibson’s ever.
    I love the F holes, split inlays (my favorite) and big headstock.
    L5 style tail and simple 1pu 1knob.....beautiful.
    I hate the look of a archtop with a bunch of knobs, and a toggle on it. I always felt 2 pu’s on a archtop was a sin.....just IMO.
    The GJS is absolutely beautiful. More so than a LeGrand IMO.
    The L5 tail looks better than a finger IMO.
    I am a humbucker guy but still love the GJS.

User Info Menu

As a PSA to all you Johnnyophiles an Ampeg FOUNTAIN OF SOUND just popped up on the Bay
    no affiliation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    As a PSA to all you Johnnyophiles an Ampeg FOUNTAIN OF SOUND just popped up on the Bay
    no affiliation.
    Also, unless you can convince the seller otherwise, it’s local pickup in Los Angeles only.

Anyone want to pick it up and ship it to me?

User Info Menu

Congrats on getting the GJS! Play it in good health for a long time.

I own 2 GJS - a 74 sunburst and an 81 blonde. The 74 has a wonderful tone - just what I expect from a JS. The 81 is near mint and while it's not as resonant as the 74, it's still a wonderful guitar.

User Info Menu

That is a thing of sublime beauty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FredH
    Congrats on getting the GJS! Play it in good health for a long time.

I own 2 GJS - a 74 sunburst and an 81 blonde. The 74 has a wonderful tone - just what I expect from a JS. The 81 is near mint and while it's not as resonant as the 74, it's still a wonderful guitar.
    I guess I need a blonde one now!!!
    Keith