The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

I didn't expect the used gear scene to be quite so robust but in the last week or so there's been a 1960's Tal, a 1951 ES350, and now a player's grade 1963 ES125TC (my favorite when I was 13). Not bad for a small city and listings on Kijiji and the local FB musician's market place. BTW, not that I'm in that market but how good or bad is $10,000 CDN ($7,557 US) for a 51 ES350?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Did you get moved in?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Did you get moved in?
    October 2. It's a very long story but we ended up buying a house in Halifax.

User Info Menu

What year is the 60s Tal? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    What year is the 60s Tal? Thanks.
    Sorry. I don't remember and the listing is gone.

User Info Menu

I've noticed a couple bigtime archtop collectors are dumping their collections. The "blue collection" is being auctioned off. Rudy Pensa is also selling his vintage archtop collection.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Sorry. I don't remember and the listing is gone.
    No worries. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk1701
    I've noticed a couple bigtime archtop collectors are dumping their collections. The "blue collection" is being auctioned off. Rudy Pensa is also selling his vintage archtop collection.

Are there any particulars, auction houses etc etc ?? I'd just like to watch and drool I guess.

Please and thx.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Are there any particulars, auction houses etc etc ?? I'd just like to watch and drool I guess.

Please and thx.
    Rudy's Music is where I found most of the info. His Scarsdale location has a wide selection of D'Angelicos: Style A through New Yorker

User Info Menu

October 2. It's a very long story but we ended up buying a house in Halifax.
    Halifax? That’s cold country. Isn’t that near Greenland?

User Info Menu

Halifax? That’s cold country. Isn’t that near Greenland?
    It's north of Maine, right on the Atlantic. By Canadian standards, the weather is actually pretty moderate. Not as mild as Vancouver or Seattle, but not nearly as severe as most of Canada. It's also stunningly beautiful, built around a long inlet with a beautiful waterfront and dotted by urban lakes surrounded by forest. It's about 450,000 people in the metro area and it's one of those places where you turn another corner and see another gorgeous view. Plus we'll have a gate right into one of the nicest parks in Canada at the bottom of our back yard. Winter will be real but we've stocked up on some really nice hand knit sweaters and we're really happy to be here. BTW, in a seriously overheated real estate market with over the top bidding wars, we got 2,000 square in a great location for $227,500 US.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 09-11-2020 at 04:41 PM.

User Info Menu

It's north of Maine, right on the Atlantic. By Canadian standards, the weather is actually pretty moderate. Not as mild as Vancouver or Seattle, but not nearly as severe as most of Canada. It's also stunningly beautiful, built around a long inlet with a beautiful waterfront and dotted by urban lakes surrounded by forest. It's about 450,000 people in the metro area and it's one of those places where you turn another corner and see another gorgeous view. Plus we'll have a gate right into one of the nicest parks in Canada at the bottom of our back yard. Winter will be real but we've stocked up on some really nice hand knit sweaters and we're really happy to be here. BTW, in a seriously overheated real estate market with over the top bidding wars, we got 2,000 square in a great location for $227,500 US.
    Darn Jim you really scored. The area sounds really beautiful! Congratulations

User Info Menu

Darn Jim you really scored. The area sounds really beautiful! Congratulations
    Thanks Greg. Sometimes we really do feel blessed.

User Info Menu

Jim, you would be hard pressed to be able to build 2000 feet of SFR for that money today. Good score! I was in Halifax many years ago in March and it was chilly and wet. And beautiful.

User Info Menu

My nephew played hockey for a couple seasons up there for the Bridgewater Lumber Jacks. During that time the Cat/Ferry from Maine to Yarmouth, NS was out of service due to losing to much $$. So he had to drive the long way up and around from Massachusetts, and when he got to the border they would give him a hard time for taking a roster spot away from a local boy He loved it up there and visits the family that he stayed with every summer. It's beautiful. Hope you enjoy it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    No worries. Thank you.
    The Tal has just reappeared. It's a '67 and it turns out it's being sold by the same person as the ES350. He's asking for the Tal is $7950 CDN (about $6000 US). I've sent him a message suggesting that he list them here.

User Info Menu

I notice there is also a 1997 Tal Farlow listed in Quebec for $4,800 CDN (about $3,650 USD). It looks like a nice one, in the desirable viceroy brown finish. There are lots of nice guitars up here in Canada.
    Keith
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitare/long...rce=ios_social

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I notice there is also a 1997 Tal Farlow listed in Quebec for $4,800 CDN (about $3,650 USD). It looks like a nice one, in the desirable viceroy brown finish. There are lots of nice guitars up here in Canada.
    Keith
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitare/long...rce=ios_social
    I’d save some money and go with the’97 rather than the ‘67. I don’t have to own a vintage instrument, and that $2400 different could be put to use elsewhere.

User Info Menu

Plus we'll have a gate right into one of the nicest parks in Canada at the bottom of our back yard.

Where are you located...generally speaking? I have been to Halifax and know the city to some extent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    Plus we'll have a gate right into one of the nicest parks in Canada at the bottom of our back yard.

Where are you located...generally speaking? I have been to Halifax and know the city to some extent.

Darmouth right near the entrance to Shubie Park. We looked at another house in the neighborhood and checked out the park. We were just blown away. Many miles of beautiful trails running along an old canal and all of it in just pristine condition. I immediately went searching for other houses that would give us access.

User Info Menu

I saw a bunch of archtops on Rudy? website, but no prices. Are they for sale?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doc w
    I saw a bunch of archtops on Rudy? website, but no prices. Are they for sale?
    To the best of my knowledge, yes. I expect the prices are unlisted so only the most interested parties will get in touch.

If I were to hazard a guess, very few will be under 5 figures.

User Info Menu

Darmouth right near the entrance to Shubie Park.
    Enjoy your walks in Shubie Park...
    Some very cool vintage Gibson archtops showing up on the used market here in Halifax-screen-shot-2020-09-12-7-42-28-pm-jpg

Some very cool vintage Gibson archtops showing up on the used market here in Halifax-screen-shot-2020-09-12-7-47-02-pm-jpg

User Info Menu

Welcome to the city, Jim... I've been living in Halifax for 20 years.

You're right... the used market for archtops is petty small here. That said, if you follow it closely you'll see a gem pop up now and again... or several gems as you've noted. Back in 2019 I spent months watching Kijiji everyday and researching guitars. Ended up buying a Comins gcs-1 from a Montreal dealer. Fantastic guitar.

My first post on the forum by the way

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LifeOnJazz
    Welcome to the city, Jim... I've been living in Halifax for 20 years.

You're right... the used market for archtops is petty small here. That said, if you follow it closely you'll see a gem pop up now and again... or several gems as you've noted. Back in 2019 I spent months watching Kijiji everyday and researching guitars. Ended up buying a Comins gcs-1 from a Montreal dealer. Fantastic guitar.

My first post on the forum by the way
    Thanks. We're really enjoying it (although until we get into the new house it's going to continue to feel like we're sill in transit). I've been gear hunting every day but it's all just window shopping until we get settled.