The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

i have an update from d'andrea regarding the warped proplec picks:

The specific issue with this material happens to be that it is hygroscopic, (sensitivity to moisture). When it get prolonged exposure to moisture or even high humidity it can sometimes cause the pick to warp or curve slightly. Please bear with us as we continue to develop and improve on an already very popular and amazing product. I have just recently produced a new batch of these picks which came out beautiful. Additionally we are experimenting with improved packaging and storage for this material.

I also heard back from d'addario regarding the 1.25mm picks that measure out to be 1.1mm. Apparently, they haven't manufactured the 1.1mm version of those picks for 10 years and the dealer (playmusic123) has an invoice showing they bought these picks from d'addario within the last 6 months. Playmusic123 is listed as the dealer on the daddario website but apparently the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing so I finally put them in touch with each other.

In other news, I have finally gotten a bluechip TP60 pick. It's everything folks have said it was. I was a skeptic but I can honestly say it's the best pick I've ever used. Very low friction and incredible tone. Is it worth $40? Dunno about that but it's definitely a great sounding pick. I was inspired to order some dunlop primetone picks and they are also very good. Not as good as the bluechip but the daddario 1.1 celluloid, the primetone and the BC are all great. I could easily live with any of them. The BC is by far the best but I'm not convinced you can hear the difference through an amp.

And if d'andrea fixes the problems with the proplec, it could vault into 2nd place. As it is now my ranking would be:

1. bluechip tp-60
    2. dunlop primetone 1.4 or 1.5
    3. daddario 1.1/1.25mm

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe they did some pick dumpster diving in the back 40....

Those blue chip picks sound tempting. $40 buys me about a week worth of groceries these days

I followed your suit and ordered a pro-plec 651 1.5mm. (As well as a tusq bi-angle 2mm. Excited for that one)

User Info Menu

I like a thick pick and my pick of choice for a dozen years was Dunlop's Deep Purple 3.00 small stubby but a year ago I bought some Primetone 3.0 small picks and I am pleased with the tone and the shape i.e. the depression which makes gripping easier. I had thought about the Blue Chip but honestly I lose picks too frequently.

User Info Menu

Jack, as far as it being worth $40 I have to ask why you wouldn't think it would be. As a beginner, I really dont have an idea so anyone here can correct me. It seems like your connection to the guitar, sound , the strings etc seems to be slightly elevated from what I'm reading. As a golf pro it seems to be the equivalent to rubber grips on a golf club. They are my connection to the club and cost 10% of the cost of the club. I want the best feel and its pennies compared to all the other costs. Seems like picks are similar. I guess if you constantly lose them though it's a different story. Again, just wondering. I dont have the experience to do anything else.

User Info Menu

EML Picks - Home | Facebook

these are on my short list but site is not available at the moment
    @4mm around $20.00

Casein Picks

EML Picks

They have casein in 4 mm and that is what I am looking at....

User Info Menu

I've used the ProPlecs for years, in part because I like the sound but also because I really like the 358 size. No warping but maybe that's the small size. My favorite pick.

Thanks to these recent threads, I tried the Primetone 1.5 mm Jazz III shaped pick. I don't like it very much acoustically but it is interesting electrically. I noticed that the Primetone has a "speed bevel" not that unlike the Blue Chip. Brighter than I usually like, but I need to use it more; the notes jump out more than with the ProPlec.

I also got a Jazztone 204, since it is also about the same size as the ProPlec 358. I had to polish the pick to eliminate the high pick noise from the matte surface, which created a grinding sound. Nice feel, tone is not quite but maybe with practice will get better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Jack, as far as it being worth $40 I have to ask why you wouldn't think it would be. As a beginner, I really dont have an idea so anyone here can correct me. It seems like your connection to the guitar, sound , the strings etc seems to be slightly elevated from what I'm reading. As a golf pro it seems to be the equivalent to rubber grips on a golf club. They are my connection to the club and cost 10% of the cost of the club. I want the best feel and its pennies compared to all the other costs. Seems like picks are similar. I guess if you constantly lose them though it's a different story. Again, just wondering. I dont have the experience to do anything else.
    True, but at the same time, at some point in development, (hopefully), the pick (and the guitar for that matter), are less important and you spend less time chasing expensive windmills...

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    At some point, diminishing returns comes into play. Yes, they sound better than the primetones but when you're playing and not sitting and evaluating the pick or when you are performing, the difference is non-existent IMO. The primetones are $1.50/each compared to $35-$40 for the BC.

User Info Menu

I use the PrimeTone 1.4 Jazz III for both the 175 and the flat top. Buy them in 3 packs 3 at time from Amazon because I lose them quick. That’s why the BCs are not for me.

User Info Menu

Dunlap JD Jazztone 204 for me. Warm, precise bluntish tip and lovely. They offer several sizes and shapes of this material but the little guys work best for me.

User Info Menu

What about the ultra plec? They seem to be more readily available than the pro plec, different material, but very rounded towards the edges of the pick, so minimal noise. I seem to be unable to find pro plecs anywhere in europe, and even on sites like stringsdirect etc, if they exist they only ship 6 or so..

For me the shape of the pick is very important, because i tend to wear off the tips pretty quickly. Many of the picks that are supposed to be 351 shape are actually quite a bit shorter. The prime tones are shorter too, the older pro and ultra plecs too.

No interest personally in paying 40$ for a pick...

User Info Menu

I just can't get into the ultex. They may have longevity, I've gotten too used to picks that can eventually conform to your picking angle. I don't think I've ever played a fresh pick that didn't need a week or so breaking in. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Daddario sent me replacements for free. I got the new picks from them today. They are indeed marked 1.25mm. Unfortunately, they measure 1.1mm. I control checked my micrometer against several other picks such as the ibanez 2.2 elastomer and the dunlop primetone 1.4mm and 1.5mm and they are within .02mm-.03mm.
    So it seems that all that has changed is the logo and the thickness marking on the pick but in reality they are the same thickness as the planet wave picks i purchased from playmusic123