The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Most contemporary luthiers seem to make either Gibson or D'Angelico/D'Aquisto/Benedetto style guitars. While these are great, I prefer the sound of golden-era 17" Epiphones (Triumph/Broadway/Deluxe).

Is anyone making Epi-style guitars?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would imagine that any skilled luthier would be capable, provided that plans and design details were available. For example, AJL Guitars in Finland, best known for their gypsy jazz guitars, makes a gorgeous 19" Stromberg based on extensive research. They also make 17" archtops. Family feud and deteriorating quality made Epiphone an underdog in the early '50s. Why would luthiers copy them, if they can copy winners?

The fact that the Epiphone business tanked is immaterial to the quality of the guitars.

I can't be the only guitar player who likes the Epi sound.

User Info Menu

great book about epi-

Epiphone: The House of Stathopoulo. by Jim Fisch & L.B. Fred. New York, NY: Amsco Publications, 1996

most of epi's troubles were due to tough nyc unions...on the waterfront stuff!

i'd think slaman or elferink would tackle vintage epi repro...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    great book about epi-

Epiphone: The House of Stathopoulo. by Jim Fisch & L.B. Fred. New York, NY: Amsco Publications, 1996

most of epi's troubles were due to tough nyc unions...on the waterfront stuff!

i'd think slaman or elferink would tackle vintage epi repro...

cheers
    An old friend of mine, Bob "Cage" wrote the preface/foreword to that book. He was the Great Grandson (or maybe Godson?) of Epi, and had a lot of interaction with Fisch concerning that book.

User Info Menu

robert cagianese..great grandson!

has pic in book as well

short preface along with bob benedetto and george van eps!

a terrific book...lotsa great gear pics too!

cheers

User Info Menu

Jim Fisch was a really nice guy, it was a shock when he passed so young, he was a big guy and looked to be in great shape. I used to see him at the guitar show almost every year. Hard to believe it's been almost 15 yrs.
    Gibson bought a chunk of his collection when he died, a couple of my guitars wound up in the book though they're long gone now. That's one of the most complete books about a guitar company there is, if not the most.

User Info Menu

I actually have a top, back, and bent sides for an Epiphone Emperor the old Epiphone inventory dating back to the 1940's. I hope someday to use them to build an instrument, assuming I can learn to carve the neck, etc. But of course, I don't have plans, molds, etc. to do it. I have been wondering just where I could get a detailed set of plans for a classic Epiphone Emperor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    robert cagianese..great grandson!

has pic in book as well

short preface along with bob benedetto and george van eps!

a terrific book...lotsa great gear pics too!

cheers
    Bob Cage is his 'stage name'. Very good Hendrix/Blues/Django/Out/Violin player. Recorded with Pete Seeger.

User Info Menu

the great carol kaye with her epi emperor...it was producer phil spectors fave guitar to record

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk1701
    Most contemporary luthiers seem to make either Gibson or D'Angelico/D'Aquisto/Benedetto style guitars. While these are great, I prefer the sound of golden-era 17" Epiphones (Triumph/Broadway/Deluxe). Is anyone making Epi-style guitars?
    Dan Koentopp's Amati archtop design tips its hat to Epiphone.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-08-2020 at 09:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Jim Fisch was a really nice guy, it was a shock when he passed so young, he was a big guy and looked to be in great shape. I used to see him at the guitar show almost every year. Hard to believe it's been almost 15 yrs.
    Gibson bought a chunk of his collection when he died, a couple of my guitars wound up in the book though they're long gone now. That's one of the most complete books about a guitar company there is, if not the most.
    My friend had a small Epiphone amp from the 40s or so, that he'd crank up all the way, and use for distortion.
    He had bad feelings toward Gibson for taking over Epiphone, and making it their 'budget' branch, and let them know about it!
    Gibson wound up giving him one of their "Masterbuilt" Flattop Epi's. If Fisch were still around, he'd have some stories about their collaboration!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Dan Koentopp's Amati archtop design tips it hat to Epiphone.
    Cool. Will check out!

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I actually have a top, back, and bent sides for an Epiphone Emperor the old Epiphone inventory dating back to the 1940's. I hope someday to use them to build an instrument, assuming I can learn to carve the neck, etc. But of course, I don't have plans, molds, etc. to do it. I have been wondering just where I could get a detailed set of plans for a classic Epiphone Emperor.
    I would absolutely try to find someone who could put that guitar together for you