The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Has anyone played one of these new Guild Starfire I SC models? Starfire I SC in Antique Burst – Guild Guitars

Appears to be thinline hollowbody with humbuckers and inexpensive at $499 new. I'd like to try one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The first electric guitar I ever played for any length of time was a cherry 1965(ish) Guild Starfire III. What a great guitar that was. This was in grade 9 or 10. I should've bought it because the owners didn't realize its value. They left it in their vehicle overnight in February. The neck twisted off the body.

I wouldn't hesitate to try out this new series. If they're half what the original run was, they're a great guitar.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

great price for a starfire!! the pups are excellent...i have played new guild starfires but not this particular version..but at that price!! wow

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies guys. I gotta think at $499, these must be a big step down from their older models and also their current higher end models. But it might make a good guitar to keep out all the time around the house for me since it's very affordable.

User Info Menu

With that tailpiece it's probably not hollow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertito
    Described in the listings as "semi-hollow"

User Info Menu

A bargain ES-135?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    A bargain ES-135?
    My thought as well. Hopefully a lot lighter though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertito
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Described in the listings as "semi-hollow"
    Well, it does say that, but I'm not so sure. I've read it just has a small block under the tailpiece like a 330.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    Well, it does say that, but I'm not so sure. I've read it just has a small block under the tailpiece like a 330.
    I've been reading some more and I think you're right.

User Info Menu

I used to play a Starfire III in high school jazz band in the early 70s.

I wish the new version had a big Guild archtop tailpiece and unanchored bridge like the originals.

User Info Menu

Here's a video of the whole line:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    A bargain ES-135?
    Guilds are their own deal. They have a bridge block like a Gretsch. The pickups lean closer to Filtertrons than PAFs. The extra space in the body makes for less density as well. They will feed back more readily as well.

In my experience they're much more friendly to play than similar ES guitars (exception being 63-67 ES-335). I've always found thinline ES-125/135s to be awkward. Even 335/345/355s are inconsistent in their playability. Nothing worse than a guitar constantly sliding off your leg.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

glad to see guild releasing some new twists on their iconic models

here's another new guild starfire with triple franz p-90 style pups

guild starfire I jet90

cheers

User Info Menu

btw the guild hb-2 pickup (in ops guitar) is nothing like a filtertron...its a lower wound 7k paf style with alnico 2 bar magnet...great design!

similar spec to lollar low wind imperial neck pup

cheers

User Info Menu

Omg the video showcasing it is sooooo bad, Guild, c'mon
    I really wish i had some money now to get an old 70s starfire on sale argh