The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13
    Dutchbopper Guest
    This is a special guitar on a personal level. My dad bought it for me in 1978 and he got very sick just a year later and passed away in 82 at a relatively young age. It was my first "quality" electric and I played it in all kinds of pop and rock bands until the mid 80s, when I switched to a Stratocaster. The guitar ended up in the attic for most of the last 30 years.

Last week I retrieved it from the attic. I had its electronics completely restored and had two Gibson classic 57 pups installed on it. This is what I recorded with it this morning. It was a totally impromptu recording, I had no sheet music in front of me and I do not even remember the changes of the tune so it's played the melody and impro by ear only and a bit rough here and there ...

I have 0.11 TI jazz swings on it and ran it through my Mambo amp.

Last edited by Dutchbopper; 09-08-2020 at 09:22 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Sounds good to me!
    The Classic 57s have improved the sound quite a bit. It does not have the dynamics and snap that a hollow body provides though. You get a more modern sound from a solid body.

DB

User Info Menu

Gorgeous! That's my favorite tone that I have heard from you.

(Am I confused? It says you only have 3 posts? Haven't I seen you around these parts for a long time?)

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Gorgeous! That's my favorite tone that I have heard from you.

(Am I confused? It says you only have 3 posts? Haven't I seen you around these parts for a long time?)
    I have not been very active lately but I simply forgot my log in details and could not get a new password somehow for my real account so I made a new one.

DB

User Info Menu

Done like a pro DB!
    I will be honest. I saw, "Lawsuit Les Paul" and I wasnt going to watch it.
    Then I saw, "My Dad bought it for me" and the Name of the Song "Triste" and DB was performing, so I had to watch it.
    And I am glad I did.
    DB, that was great. The guitar is in GREAT shape for a guitar that's been in the attic for so long. Les Pauls are GREAT guitars for Jazz. I did a coffee shop job a while back, and I just couldn't tame the feedback I was getting with my old 175. I think it was the shape of the room. I couldn't place myself between the amp and the guitar no matter what I tried. So luckily, I went out to the car and grabbed my Les Paul and did the whole job with it. Honestly, it was one of the best jobs I ever did playing out. The guitar gave me confidence. It was beautiful. Not quite as beautiful as your playing, but it was nice.
    Great sound and GREAT playing DB.
    Keep em coming..
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar and equally beautiful playing. It's good to play an instrument that has a deeply personal connection. Well done!

User Info Menu

Great sound and great playing DB. Now, with this lawsuit LP you're on the riverbanks of sustain. Very different from your usual "twang" sound but as much interesting for the listener. Funilly enough, it reminds me my Ibanez AS 200 that was also my prefered jazz guitar when I was 30. It's still in my herd, I don't play it often, but each time I play it, "wow, what a sustain machine...".

Thanks for your nice videos!

Cheer.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Great sound and great playing DB. Now, with this lawsuit LP you're on the riverbanks of sustain. Very different from your usual "twang" sound but as much interesting for the listener. Funilly enough, it reminds me my Ibanez AS 200 that was also my prefered jazz guitar when I was 30. It's still in my herd, I don't play it often, but each time I play it, "wow, what a sustain machine...".

Thanks for your nice videos!

Cheer.
    Thanks Fred. Yes the sustain on a solid body is one of those things that is so striking when you you are used to archtops. My Les Paul (copy) is really very heavy, just like a real Les Paul without modern weight relief. It has a maple cap but the rest is all mahogany, neck and body. Must be in the 3 or 4 kilo realm ...

DB

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar and fantastic playing! I love the sound. Those pickups are outstanding. What a keepsake! I hope you can keep it in the family forever!

User Info Menu

Whew, what a recording DB!

User Info Menu

Good story and you prove a LP I perfectly capable of producing a great jazz tone. I'm going to put TI swings on mine now too.

Thanks for the lovely music my fellow Dutchie.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    Good story and you prove a LP I perfectly capable of producing a great jazz tone. I'm going to put TI swings on mine now too. Thanks for the lovely music my fellow Dutchie.
    Dutchie? Cool. Do I know you maybe?

DB