The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 66 of 66

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BillyHell
    BIG NEWS - The ES 125 mentioned in this thread is now mine! Big thanks to wintermoon and everyone in the thread for walking me through this.
    Eclectic16's guitar was purchased from the widow of the original owner. It looks to be a nice one!

That is good to hear!!
    After you receive it and you luthier checks it out and sets it up for you, put some good quality pictures up for us to see!!
    good luck!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations. I was aspiring to buy that one, but couldn't get the money together quickly enough! May it inspire your playing!

User Info Menu

I just wanted to drop my .002 here

I also had a 125 with a sunken top, all braces were intact, it just happened over many years - I had a luthier add a sound-post to prevent any further movement

It didn’t effect the sound at all to my ears and
    it didn’t seem to hurt re-sale much, I just sold it for $1800 recently

as always ymmv

User Info Menu

definitely return it for undisclosed issues and the seller should be responsible for shipping both ways in this case. I think your CC company would back that up.

User Info Menu

The seller returned it as noted on page one.

User Info Menu

Just waiting on the $$ refund.

User Info Menu

The dolphin is in the bay (money) and all is well. The other 1956 should be here in 24 hours.
    I am currently selling my Godin Multiac HG Steel to try and grab a thin version of the ES, possibly a cutaway, or an epiphone version.
    The arch top addiction has been turned up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BillyHell
    The dolphin is in the bay (money) and all is well. The other 1956 should be here in 24 hours.
    I am currently selling my Godin Multiac HG Steel to try and grab a thin version of the ES, possibly a cutaway, or an epiphone version.
    Word of caution: The 1960s ES120T / ES125T / ES125TC neck joint was a low point for Gibson. Often those which havn't had a reset, need a reset. Check carefully for thinned-out bridge bases and ground-down bridge tops.

If you think you're eager now wait 'til that vintage ES125 arrives!

User Info Menu

FULL CIRCLE

This is the newest old guitar ever. Just spent and hour with it and it plays like "my" guitar." I play as fast on this as any guitar I own. My first guitar was a 55 Silvertone that was my uncle's first guitar. Maybe that is why it feels so familiar?? After I get some more time on it I'll do a proper video. I can't imagine a nicer 56 than this and the receipt from the original owner is icing on the cake! He bought bought it in 1957 when he was 19 and played it in church in GA. Back to jamming!

User Info Menu

glad you went w/this one in the end BH, I just happened to notice it in the Martin Forum where there's typically very few archtops listed for sale. I think it'll be a better deal for you all around and sure looks a lot nicer too.
    enjoy....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    glad you went w/this one in the end BH, I just happened to notice it in the Martin Forum where there's typically very few archtops listed for sale. I think it'll be a better deal for you all around and sure looks a lot nicer too.
    enjoy....
    Thumbs up emoji to you for doing that! I have a really nice 125, bought at a reasonable price. There are plenty around. Good for you and him that you led him to the source.

User Info Menu

Enjoy your new pride and joy. It was meant to be for you.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the 'ES-125 Club!'

It's a great joint. (You've certainly paid your dues.)

Seems like you deserve it, too.

Now, back to "Billie,' my '52.

User Info Menu

This was my guitar that BH purchased. And lest you think I'm nuts for selling it, I've gotta say that I liked that guitar a lot. I even had it re-fretted. But I recently bought a guitar here from omphalopsychos and could not afford to keep both. The ES-125 was the first electric guitar that I owned long ago. Another 1950s guitar. I had started taking jazz guitar lessons and the only guitar I had was a D-18. My teacher said, no, that guitar will not do - you've got to get a proper instrument. So one of the students was selling her ES-125 to get a more modern, new guitar and I got it for less than $150. Glad this one found its way to BH and his daughter.
    Richard

User Info Menu

Big thanks to Richard for the guitar and the great packing job. I spent around 3 hours playing it yesterday and got to run it through my 48 Supro amp.
    I contacted Hickory Wind Music in the hometown of this guitar and the owner did know the original owner of my 56. He purchased it at Pappa Harry's shop. He paid $20 down and made monthly payments. The owner of Hickory Wind said he has original owners of 50's guitars come with their Papa Harry's receipts from the purchases they made in the 50s. He said a 59 Les Paul Jr. was just in the store that was bought as a graduation present. This is the most history I have on any of my guitars other than the guitar I bought from Grandmother's preacher.

User Info Menu

The same seller listed a nice set of correct tuners in the for sale section if interested, not sure if you're aware.