The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For the same money i can get an Evans re 200 with a 12 inch Eminence Beta sitch or a little newer Henricksen 112 re.I may be able to get the Hen.for a little less.Solo /chord melody on a lammy archtop Eastman.any thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Absolutely love my Evans - great tone shaping capability and very fender’esque. With a EHX Black Finger for extra warmth combined with a Barber BBQ for scoop up the front; a combination I keep coming back to. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Both are great amps, so you can't lose! If they're roughly the same price, I'd choose the newer one.

User Info Menu

I gig (well,back when there were gigs) with a Evans JE200 and it's a wonderful amp. I've joked on these forum pages they are the Mesa Boogie of SS amps. It takes some time to dial in the sweet spot for whatever instrument you are pairing it with. One you find it, I suggest writing it down (how quaint) or taking a photo of the settings for future reference. The RE models were developed with input from Ron Eschete, master of 7 string guitar, and the owner of Evans is a 7 string player as well.
    They are built to last in North Carolina, that being said my Evans is a little on the heavy side at around 35 lbs. The RE models weigh less.
    I plug my 1990 Bob Built Benedetto Cremona straight into my Evans with no effects and it's the sound I am looking for. Note the Benedetto is a carved guitar with a Bartolini floater. But with the tone shaping options on the Evans you should be able to find your tonal Shangra La.

User Info Menu

My main (and only) gigging amp is an Evans RE200 with a 10" Eminence. I've had about all of them at one time or another and I like it best. I also have a Quilter 101R with an Ear Candy Mr Watts clone but it mostly stays at home. The Evans is the workhorse and Scot really stands behind his stuff.

User Info Menu

I've not tried the Henricksen, cannot comment there. Recently picked up an Evans SE 150 on the cheaps. 1x15, from the late 90s. Excellent amp. On the heavy side, but great sound. Rich. I'm very curious to try the RE200 in particular, see if that same fine sound comes in the smaller Evans amps too.