The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

Oh my God, I love this guitar!
    As always, recorded through my Boss GT_001. I used DaVinci Resolve for editing.
    No Amp. Simple Webcams.
    I wrote an arrangement for this song years back, but this proves, the best arrangements are done by the Pro's.
    This is a Tony Mottola Arrangement.
    I hope you like..
    Thanks Everyone.
    Joe DeNisco

Last edited by Max405; 09-05-2020 at 11:32 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is so beautiful, and your having worked through so many pro performances of standards has made you a very compelling interpreter of those. Not just reproducing the original performance, but re-presenting it in a way that's not just faithful to the tradition, but fresh and inspiring. That L5 and you form an unbeatable team. Don't let this one escape!

User Info Menu

Joe, this guitar has provided you with an incomparable silky smooth playability - which has already inspired you with new ideas. I can hear it in your playing.......very well done. Its the continuity of notes, and fat rich tone that can only be associated with an L5. This is the jazz guitar which many artists aspire to own, and for you its a perfect fit.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

a good way to start the holiday weekend!! i like seeing you with that guitar Joe D...it suits you, and you it...

enjoy it..sounds great

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    This is so beautiful, and your having worked through so many pro performances of standards has made you a very compelling interpreter of those. Not just reproducing the original performance, but re-presenting it in a way that's not just faithful to the tradition, but fresh and inspiring. That L5 and you form an unbeatable team. Don't let this one escape!
    Wow Lawson. That was really nice.
    I have kinda of settled only playing my favorite songs. I’ve cover probably half of the American songbook. I’m done. Now I will hone down the 20-25 of my favs. I am honored to have played the most beautiful songs of all time. On some of the greatest guitars ever made. This guitar and the GJS were the best guitars for me. Meaningful and exquisite. Thank you Lawson.
    I am almost done.. Almost.
    JD

User Info Menu

Beautiful. Stick with the L-5. It is a great fit for what you do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Joe, this guitar has provided you with an incomparable silky smooth playability - which has already inspired you with new ideas. I can hear it in your playing.......very well done. Its the continuity of notes, and fat rich tone that can only be associated with an L5. This is the jazz guitar which many artists aspire to own, and for you its a perfect fit.
    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Steve, I really appreciate your incredibly well thought out posts. Not just hyperbole.. you always say the right thing.
    I woke at 6:45 this morning and plugged in all my stuff. Tweaked the settings and lighting. It took 3 takes to get this right. When I was done with the last take, I was happy.
    But the surprise came when I listened to the recording. What you said was EXACTLY what I noticed. It was way better as a recording than it was in real time. The guitar communicates my playing smoothly. I could have played it the exact same way on a different guitar and it would been delivered very differently.
    The guitar makes a difference.
    Thank you Steve. I appreciate it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    a good way to start the holiday weekend!! i like seeing you with that guitar Joe D...it suits you, and you it...
    enjoy it..sounds great
    cheers
    Thank you Neatomic. I like seeing me with it too! It makes me happy. My wife gets jealous when I kiss it though..
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Beautiful. Stick with the L-5. It is a great fit for what you do.
    SS, for sure bro. For me it can’t get any better. I’m almost done.

User Info Menu

Well, Joe...that's as good as it gets. No kidding. The Gibson sounds inconceivably great. Your playing of the TM arrangement is simply inspired.

I enjoyed that as thoroughly as I have ever enjoyed a chart by Johnny Smith or Tony Mottola.

Thank you, Joe.

GT

User Info Menu

I was going to say something similar to QAman, Joe. You have a smoothness and seeming effortlessness on thus guitar. Lovely.

User Info Menu

Rich, fluid, lovely playing.

Also, I was admiring/envying the position in which you're holding the guitar. Looks relaxed, with great access to the fretboard. How do you do that? Some kind of support? Or are you using your right leg as a fulcrum and pressing the lower bout down with the right right arm, so that the upper bout and the neck are levered up? Or...?

All the best,
    Ray

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Well, Joe...that's as good as it gets. No kidding. The Gibson sounds inconceivably great. Your playing of the TM arrangement is simply inspired.
    I enjoyed that as thoroughly as I have ever enjoyed a chart by Johnny Smith or Tony Mottola.
    Thank you, Joe.
    GT
    GT, thank you buddy. Sometimes, a guitar just turns around and exceeds expectations. This guitar has dazzled me. I am glad you liked the video. And thank you GT. You are a classy guy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I was going to say something similar to QAman, Joe. You have a smoothness and seeming effortlessness on thus guitar. Lovely.
    C, thanks buddy. Trust me, some of the other takes we’re far from effortless. When I play that song, I hear George Benson singing it in the background. Absolutely my favorite. Here’s that Rainy Day is #2.
    Thanks C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RayBan
    Rich, fluid, lovely playing.
    Also, I was admiring/envying the position in which you're holding the guitar. Looks relaxed, with great access to the fretboard. How do you do that? Some kind of support? Or are you using your right leg as a fulcrum and pressing the lower bout down with the right right arm, so that the upper bout and the neck are levered up? Or...?
    All the best,
    Ray
    Thanks Ray. I have a special Brown couch that’s made of a faux suede microfiber material that is kind of grabby. The guitar sits in the perfect position for me. Thanks for noticing that. The couch is a blessing and a curse. I need the couch when I play. Although I am ok standing up with the strap.
    Thanks Ray.

User Info Menu

Joe - your talented hands and ears make that gorgeous WesMo sound as good as it looks. Really fine playing!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 09-05-2020 at 11:06 PM. Reason: tYp0z

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Joe - your talented hsnds snf ears make that gorgeous WesMo sound as good as it looks. Really fine playing!
    Thanks C74. You are the best buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Damn Joe that sounds just fantastic! Obviously the guitar sounds great BUT that's only because YOU are playing it! I said it before and I'll say it again, I can listen to you play all day. I was just listening to the Mattola recording of this a few days ago so it's still fresh in my ears and I can say you absolutely do justice to the Maestro. I am sure he is smiling from above.

I am glad I have subscribed to your YouTube channel so I get these in my feed as soon as they are uploaded! Always a pleasure to see the new JD videos! You and that L5 are a perfect match fratello.

User Info Menu

Hats off, Joe, nice rendition of Tony Mottola's version and nice tone !

User Info Menu

"Fear" the man with only one guitar for the man with one guitar knows how to play it very well.

You are that man with one guitar, JD.

(Perhaps you could transcribe that and put it up for sale as a pdf?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    Damn Joe that sounds just fantastic! Obviously the guitar sounds great BUT that's only because YOU are playing it! I said it before and I'll say it again, I can listen to you play all day. I was just listening to the Mattola recording of this a few days ago so it's still fresh in my ears and I can say you absolutely do justice to the Maestro. I am sure he is smiling from above.

I am glad I have subscribed to your YouTube channel so I get these in my feed as soon as they are uploaded! Always a pleasure to see the new JD videos! You and that L5 are a perfect match fratello.
    Thank you my Fratello. I am so happy that I am able to play pieces like this that I have admired for so long. My father had this album. I think it was called Greatest Hits. In fact that was the 1st time I heard Girl Next Door. It was the next song on the album. My father listened to this album and Jerry Vale’s “Mama” over and over.
    Pieces of my life.. thanks again Dougie. You are my guy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JFranck
    Hats off, Joe, nice rendition of Tony Mottola's version and nice tone !
    The pleasure was all mine sir. Thank you for listening and commenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    "Fear" the man with only one guitar for the man with one guitar knows how to play it very well.
    You are that man with one guitar, JD.
    (Perhaps you could transcribe that and put it up for sale as a pdf?)
    Jabs! My good man how are you?
    I have 3 now. I’ll be selling the Solid Formed. And keeping the 165. I love that guitar. The smoothest acoustic guitar I ever played. It really is. It stays right. Perfect.
    The pdf is already for sale, not written out by me. In fact, I used it to get me through a couple of parts.
    Thanks for listening and posting JAbs. You are a legend around here..
    JD

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing Joe. The guitar sounds great in your hands.
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 09-06-2020 at 09:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you Keith.
    Stringswinger says this all the time. When a guitar inspires you, there is no limit to what you can do with it.
    This guitar is going to take me places I’ve never been. Because I absolutely love playing it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joey, my buddy, what a sound and what a rendition! Your playing is beautiful and consistent in every sense. You're keeping the pace throughout the tune and it's not easy with a "free tempo" tune like this. Every note is perfectly articulated and shines like diamond.

Keep on delivering us great tunes like this my friend.

User Info Menu

Joe, I knew the minute you started playing that we were in for something special; a beautiful song skillfully arranged and played by a musician who knows what the tune is all about.

Tony Mottola's arrangements and recordings showcased his legato style. I was fourteen or fifteen when I first heard him play on his Command album, "Romantic Guitar". I played that album until the grooves wore down.

As most of us know, it's hard to describe notes and tones when writing about a piece of music. Standard adjectives like beautiful, soulful, etc. seem to fail miserably at describing how someone or something sounds. As best as I can describe it, your playing has an "organic" quality, as if you and the guitar are interwoven to form a sound that is greater than the totality of its parts.

Nicely done, Joe.

Tony D.