The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Joey, my buddy, what a sound and what a rendition! Your playing is beautiful and consistent in every sense. You're keeping the pace throughout the tune and it's not easy with a "free tempo" tune like this. Every note is perfectly articulated and shines like diamond.
    Keep on delivering us great tunes like this my friend.
    Fred my man.
    The pleasure is all mine. The problem with learning new stuff is it’s impact on my brain. When I practiced this morning, I tried playing my core stuff and my brain was shot. I couldn’t piece together very many songs, especially in the drop D. I was down about that all day.
    So for my evening practice, I just slowed it all down and EVERYTHING came back to me.
    I appreciate your beautiful words Fred.
    Thank you my friend!
    JD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Joe, I knew the minute you started playing that we were in for something special; a beautiful song skillfully arranged and played by a musician who knows what the tune is all about.
    Tony Mottola's arrangements and recordings showcased his legato style. I was fourteen or fifteen when I first heard him play on his Command album, "Romantic Guitar". I played that album until the grooves wore down.
    As most of us know, it's hard to describe notes and tones when writing about a piece of music. Standard adjectives like beautiful, soulful, etc. seem to fail miserably at describing how someone or something sounds. As best as I can describe it, your playing has an "organic" quality, as if you and the guitar are interwoven to form a sound that is greater than the totality of its parts.
    Nicely done, Joe.
    Tony D.
    Tony! How are you? I hope you are doing great.
    Tony, seriously, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your comments. All the time, you say such wonderful things. I am honored that they are about me. This guitar makes it easy to perform, more so than any of the others I’ve had. I am glad I have it.
    When that day comes when I just can’t do it at this level anymore, I will always know I had the best available guitar.. Honestly, This one should have been in the hands of a total master.
    It took me a long time in life to develop a real appreciation for this music to the point where I try to play it. I wish I would have done it sooner, when these guys were still with us. But, if what I do keeps their music alive just a little bit longer then that’s ok. I did something good.
    Thank you Tony.
    And thank you everyone for making this experience a wonderful one for me.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

nice Joe D...gotta re-calibrate the brain!! step back to move forward..very boxeo

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Tony! How are you? I hope you are doing great.
    Joe D
    All is well here Joe, thanks for asking. In addition to the virus which hit our area pretty hard, we got blasted by Hurricane Isaias. Lost our electricity for a few days and I lost my Mustang GT as a result of it being hit by a falling tree.

It is always a pleasure to hear you play. Keep at it. Best of everything to you and your family.

Thanks again.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

ugh tony sorry to hear about the mustang!

stay good

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ugh tony sorry to hear about the mustang!

stay good

cheers
    Thanks.

We're all fine and I am deciding on whether to get another Mustang GT (six speed manual) or whether I should I buy a car more age appropriate for a 72 year old!

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Tony, Appropriate for a 72 year old?
    I say whatever you ALWAYS wanted. You deserve it buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Thanks.

We're all fine and I am deciding on whether to get another Mustang GT (six speed manual) or whether I should I buy a car more age appropriate for a 72 year old!

Tony D.
    Tony, an aquaintance of mine ,also a mere 72, has a Rolls Royce., BMW.Jaguar etc., and for his Birthday treated himself to a new Aston Martin
    I have one car , a seven year old BMW, believe me if I could afford one i'd have an Aston Martin, ...well I have driven one ! Never too old for
    a hot car, ( or a nice guitar ) Post some pics of your new Mustang , so that we can drool .

Best, Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Tony, an aquaintance of mine ,also a mere 72, has a Rolls Royce., BMW.Jaguar etc., and for his Birthday treated himself to a new Aston Martin
    I have one car , a seven year old BMW, believe me if I could afford one i'd have an Aston Martin, ...well I have driven one ! Never too old for
    a hot car, ( or a nice guitar ) Post some pics of your new Mustang , so that we can drool .

Best, Silverfoxx
    Ah... it's corny, but the Aston Martin DB5 is my one and only, life-long car-crush. From the moment it rolled out in "Goldfinger" I was hooked.

One of the movie cars toured the US back when I was a kid, and it came to a town near my home. My dad took me to see it, and I actually SAT IN THE EJECTOR SEAT of one of the copies that was used in Goldfinger!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the die has been cast and the Mustang GT is still the winner. I will post some photos when it arrives. Normally have to order one to get the engine/tranny/accessories you want.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Tony, Appropriate for a 72 year old?
    I say whatever you ALWAYS wanted. You deserve it buddy.
    JD
    Thank you my good friend. I plan to have a new replacement as soon as possible, 400 plus HP with the same manual six speed.

Thanks,

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Ah... it's corny, but the Aston Martin DB5 is my one and only, life-long car-crush. From the moment it rolled out in "Goldfinger" I was hooked.

One of the movie cars toured the US back when I was a kid, and it came to a town near my home. My dad took me to see it, and I actually SAT IN THE EJECTOR SEAT of one of the copies that was used in Goldfinger!
    Very interesting Lawson. In the mid sixties "The Saint" with Roger Moore, was shown here in the New York area. I was about 16 or so. I caught my first look at the Volvo 1800 and since that time I've always thought I'd love to own one but something always got in the way. But, you never know.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

hah tony, thought of that volvo right away too!!..i still see them around very occasionally and they always stir...tho classic 60's jag xke is still my grail! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Just so you guys know, my friend Bernie bought a 2006 DB9 about 3 years ago. He paid $36,000 for it, 35,000 miles, pretty much mint condition.
    About a year later, he took it into the shop for a tuneup, new clutch and new tires and to get some delamination fixed on the dash and the hat shelf.
    They called him to go over the invoice BEFORE they did the work.
    The price for the service?? $24,000.
    Yes, $24,000 dollars.
    He ended getting only what the car absolutely needed and it came to $18,000.
    I had to drive him to the dealership and Pick him up when his car was ready. The price did not include a loaner car.
    That DASHED any remaining desire for me to ever own an Aston Martin.
    I still drool over the the new DB11's, Vantage and Volante's. They are the sexiest cars in the world. Maybe in another lifetime for me...
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

It is not in the least corny, when I had the opportunity to drive one, a "boy racer" drew alongside at the traffic lights lots of revs and noise
    quite amusing seeing it become a speck in the rear view mirror when the Aston pulled away.
    The downside as Joe has said is servicing and upkeep , beyond the average wallet.
    My younger son has a nice Mercedes E300 AMG Convertible (petrol) in black , 155mph, considerably less $$ than an Aston, If he
    considers passing it down to his impoverished father, i won't decline LOL

Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hah tony, thought of that volvo right away too!!..i still see them around very occasionally and they always stir...tho classic 60's jag xke is still my grail! haha

cheers
    XKE is a great looking car. It looks like it's moving when standing still. Volvo's from the 60s era have a corrosion problem--similar to most cars manufactured then. Except some of the corrosion on the 1800 is very difficult and expensive to remediate unless you do it yourself. Despite the corrosion and the Smith's gauges and other problems the XKE is still a landmark vehicle.

In 1980 I bought a Volvo GT. Which was a two door sedan with a four cylinder engine, Bosch Jetronic fuel injection and four speed manual with electric overdrive.
    Easy to work on and very reliable. Only problem, silver paint. All the GT models were painted silver. After a few years the paint was worn to the point of seeming as if the car had eczema.

We also had 1990 Volvo 240 that was essentially bullet proof. We kept it for 16 years.

Happy Landings,

Tony

User Info Menu

Geez, this be some of the worst thread drift ever. The Volvo 1800 might be a bargain if you maintain it, as you can get a fair number of miles on it:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...66-volvo-1800s

User Info Menu

Back to Joe's playing. Ain't nothin' better. Especially on my lovely L5 WM. So glad you're loving the beauty, Joe. She deserves you and you deserve it.
    For all of you who have ever parted with a guitar that meant the world to you- there is nothing better than hearing Joe caress endless joy and love out of something that was part of your soul. Makes the world bearable.
    Love ya, Joe.

DanGibson L5 Wes Montgomery ~ Stardust-img_1925-copy-jpg

User Info Menu

I’m sorry, I just saw this.
    That was really nice of you Dan.
    Yeah, I understand how you can love this guitar. No other guitar I’ve ever had plays better than this guitar. Some guitars get under your skin and become more than just an instrument to you. This one did it to me.
    I hope you are loving your Trenier. The one you got is a world class guitar.
    Thanks again for your really nice post Dan.
    Joe D