The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I sometimes have been using flat wounds which normally I never did just not enough acoustic zing, but have a certain sound that is nice at times. So 2 years ago I a set of Dadarrio Chromes 12-54 on my Hollenbeck and still have not change them. Now to be fair they don't have daily hours of playing on them but 2 years and certainly playing them. They right now intonate fine and sound good. They don't look beat or worn but I am thinking these still have plenty of life. 2 years longer than I would ever go with round wounds even it I hardly played them. How long do you get?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I get about a year out of TI Flats (and I change the plain strings once or twice between full set changes). I find that the pure nickel wraps start to corrode after about 10 or 11 months.

User Info Menu

TI flats when new are perfect but to me they get too dull after two weeks. D'addario Chromes start out a bit bright but after a couple of weeks they reach the darkness of a brand new set of TI flats and stay that way for at least 6 months. So Chromes are more economical and convenient for me.

User Info Menu

+1 what Marco (SS) said.

User Info Menu

My Godin Kingpin has been my ongoing string testbed.

TI Jazz Swings (12-50) -- I get about 4 months, then they start sounding completely dead and giving me tuning problems.
    Chromes -- (12-52) about 6 months
    LaBella Rollerwounds (12-52) sorta flat, sorta round, less squeaky than rounds) -- I've had them on for about 2 months, and they've lost a lot of brightness, but are still in tune.
    GHS Rollerwounds -- I forgot how much I got out of them, but I wound up taking them off before they were really beat up because they squeaked almost as much roundwounds even after they'd been on for a long while. I'm gonna guess they'd last 6 months, though.

I've got Chromes and Martin Retros in my drawer, and I think I'm going to go back the Chromes next. I think I like their sound best, and they've lasted the longest of the flats I've tried. But I do prefer the lower tension of the TI's. Once I use up all the strings I've got, I'm going to try an 11-50 set and swap in a 12 for the high E.

I have a feeling I'm harder on strings than I lot you guys. I've only got one archtop (though I do split my playing across other guitars), and it's kind of my "beater". I play it outside a lot, took on a beach vacation, and am in general not very careful about wiping the strings clean.

John

User Info Menu

I play pretty much the same guitar every day roughly at a minimum 2 hours a day. I use TI Flats an .11 set. I used to use .13s, then .12s, now .11s. I get about 7-8 months out of a set but change the two plain strings about 1/2 way. I don't wipe them down, nor is the guitar in a case but I also have fairly neutral sweat and in steamy FL it is always inside and in a stable environment.

User Info Menu

You know about how much I play. I get at least a year out of a set of .012s on my DA. When the sound gets too dark, I'll change them but I know it takes forever for them to get too dark.

User Info Menu

I change my TI flats about every 5 years, whether they need changing or not.

User Info Menu

I use JS 112 on all my good guitars. The one I use the most (Fender Custom Shop Jazzmaster 1998), gets new strings maybe three or four times a year, depending on how many gigs I play.

User Info Menu

D'Addario flats in various sizes. I change 'em every year, just for practice.

User Info Menu

About three or four months. I play a LOT.

User Info Menu

Just finished re-stringing my Gibson 175. Saw this thread and felt guilty. Those TIJS112s had been on close to a year. Took the opportunity to give it a good clean and buff and tighten all the little screws and nuts that always seem to loosen. Now it’ll take several hours to get it sounding good again.

User Info Menu

They last til I change them LOL.