The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

What do you like? I have zero experience with them. Less than $2k please but the lower the better. Good size necks preferred. Wide nuts are fine.

Feel free to post old links. Not finding a lot out there. Ones that also are decent un-amplified would be nice. From what I’m seeing out there maybe a hybrid.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 73Fender; 08-30-2020 at 01:59 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can find plenty of decent classical guitars that are well made and reasonably priced, and add a Barbera classical guitar transducer , have it installed professionally, for well within your target price. I own an S. Yairi with that setup and it sounds and plays phenomenally, under a grand!

User Info Menu

I have the Godin Multiac Nylon SA. Neck is fine. It was surprisingly loud acoustically, rivaling full body guitars. Sounded nice too. But, when amplified that live top feeds back easily.

I always wished the EQ was voiced differently. I always thought it tended to be trebly and harsh, but it is possible to get a good sound.

The lower bout is short in Godin guitars, IMO. It tends to fall off my leg in the position I like.

The Yamaha Silent Nylon has a really good feeling neck. The original had piezo quack (the Godin does not), but maybe that's improved with the later version(s). Ricardo Vogt toured the world with Eliane Elias playing the original version.

User Info Menu

Yamaha SGL200N or NW has a 'mic' sound you can blend with the piezo. If you use all piezo it can quack, all mic or blended I don't hear it.

Cordoba guitars are worth looking into. Look up the C5CE model.

User Info Menu

I really like my old Ovation 1624 Country Artist, feedback isn't much of a issue. They have their own sound. I also like K&K under the top transducer systems on guitars, a very natural sound.

For new guitars Kremona makes nice instruments that play and sound above their paygrade.

I found Taylor nylons lacking in tone and volume, their steel strings are great but they haven't quite arrived, especially for the money, in classical land.

I'd look at anything by Godin, especially their La Patrie label, the Q1 system is good for the money and they have more expensive options.

User Info Menu

If you're considering a hybrid, I suspect you're not looking for something that's geared toward classical playing, and therefore there are a lot more options out there.

I have an Alvarez AC60, IIRC. It's a midrange guitar. I like it because it has a rather loud acoustic sound, which not all A/E's do (I suspect has to do with the thickness of the top and bracing?)

Mine is similar to this one: AC65CE - Alvarez Guitars

The only diss on these guitars is that the electronic controls are ugly. Taylor has the right approach on theirs--love the electronics on their steel-string models.

The Yairi series is highly thought of, and if used should be within your price range. (CY75CE - Alvarez Guitars)

User Info Menu

I think Doc makes some good points. To me, there's a big difference between a "real" classical guitar with an added pickup versus a hybrid. Both are wonderful beasts. But that seems like a pretty big fork in your decision path.

If you want something that sounds good unamplified, I'd look at a classical like Cordoba or Ramirez. You can get a used lower-end Ramirez for under 2K. Like this, as a quick example:

2004 Jose Ramirez 2CWE | Individual | Reverb

Or a nice 4E:

Used Jose Ramirez 2002 4E Classical Acoustic Guitar Natural | Guitar Center

But you might actually prefer a hybrid. You might get a thinner body and maybe a cutaway if you like. Maybe a skinnier faster neck. For a lot of players, this could be the way to go. Might be better for jazz and other non-classical styles. Might not sound as good unamplified. Or certainly not like a "real" classical.

I have a lower-end Kenny Hill that was made in Paracho, before he moved his offshore building to China (which is also turning out nice stuff for him under the New World moniker). It's built like more of a true classical, but has a cutaway. No pickup. Faster neck with a slightly narrower-than-a-real-classical nut width. I paid just under 1K used, and it's pretty sweet. Top is cedar. Back/sides are palo escrito, aka "Mexican rosewood." Maybe another option for your consideration.

Acoustic electric nylon string guitar recommendations please-img_4655b-jpg
    Acoustic electric nylon string guitar recommendations please-img_4656b-jpg
    Last edited by Flat; 08-31-2020 at 09:34 PM.

User Info Menu

I love my Córdoba GK Studio. The tone I get out of it is amazing! It has a sweetness On the solo notes that I find few nylon strings have matched, and yet still very punchy for chords. I have the original version of the GK studio, which is a Blanca, and has cypress sides/back. They also have a negro with rosewood that has a darker tone.

And you can definitely shape your tone based upon your choice of strings. It came with Savarez high-tension cristal forum 500CJ, but I fell in love with the tone of the La Bella 820 Reds.

Added this link to the Cordoba demo:

User Info Menu

Over the past 10 years or so I've played countless gigs with my Cordoba "Fusion" 12-fret hybrid. It's got a great sounding and very stage-worthy (flexible + easy to dial in) Fishman BLEND pickup/mic combo built in, a very comfy neck, was (relatively) cheap at $ 625.00 and it's replaceable in case something happens to it. For home use and sonic enjoyment I have a nicer , hand-built nylonstring but for playing out this Cordoba is VERY hard to beat.

Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple review | MusicRadar

User Info Menu

For a loud gig nylon string, I would go with the Rick Turner example (full disclosure here, Rick is a personal friend)

Renaissance RN6 Hybrid Nylon String

They can be had used for 2K or less.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the info and recommendations. I read up a little and the Classical and Hybrids really are their own things. I played a little Classical as a kid to get into college. I love my steel string acoustics but I see the day when my semi geezer fingers may start to rebel. I
    have way too many electrics and no nylon string guitars. I could pull off one of each with a little dealing. Will check out the links soon. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Lots of good suggestions above. I’d recommend the cordoba, but also look into the godins.

One option that hasnt been mentioned is the Sadowsky nylon electrics:

Electric Nylon - Sadowsky Guitars

very different from more traditional options and not inexpensive, but you should compare them.

User Info Menu

While I'm not a huge fan of the brand (generally too bright sounding for my taste), Taylor has a new Academy 12e-N that runs $699.

I haven't played one, but I actually bought the 12e steel string recently as it's not as brash and bright as most Taylors. And they're usually easy to find.

I have no affiliation with them, it's just one that flew across my radar recently as I was looking for a less-expensive guitar to travel with and not have to be too concerned about.

User Info Menu

If mainly for home playing get a full body classical, possibly with a hybrid neck. If gigging is a possibility, it's hard to beat the Godins, that's what I would get.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Fish
    Lots of good suggestions above. I’d recommend the cordoba, but also look into the godins.

One option that hasnt been mentioned is the Sadowsky nylon electrics:

Electric Nylon - Sadowsky Guitars

very different from more traditional options and not inexpensive, but you should compare them.
    I knew a guy who gigged awhile with a Godin, then went to a Sadowsky. Beautiful sound. He was playing a lot of bossa nova-type stuff the last time I saw him.

Quote Originally Posted by coryB
    While I'm not a huge fan of the brand (generally too bright sounding for my taste), Taylor has a new Academy 12e-N that runs $699.

I haven't played one, but I actually bought the 12e steel string recently as it's not as brash and bright as most Taylors. And they're usually easy to find.

I have no affiliation with them, it's just one that flew across my radar recently as I was looking for a less-expensive guitar to travel with and not have to be too concerned about.
    I do like the brand--don't have any experience with the nylon strings, but I will vouch for the lower-end models, which I think are made in Mexico, as being very well-made. Looks like this model has a cambered fretboard, if that's important to you. good for jazz, not ideal for classical.

User Info Menu

There was a hand made nylon in the for sale section here listed for $825. Didn’t sell. Nylons don’t do well here. I’d be hard pressed to spend more than $1k for one. I bought an Alhambra 9p made in Spain used for $950. It sold new for $2400. There are deals to be had out there. I currently have a custom and a Córdoba Fusion 12 that I paid $450 for.

User Info Menu

I have a Martin 000C. Really a fine guitar. About 4-5 years ago I paid a grand for it in like new condition along with the OEM hard case shipped to my door.

User Info Menu

I played the nylon Taylors off side by side with Kremonas which are an eastern European build a couple years ago. Probably about 10 examples of each and the Kremonas were pretty far ahead at that time for less money. I have no idea in the current world situation who is making what where as the world scrambles to reinvent itself.

Lots of decent used stuff around and it is important to think of the sound in the context of where it will be used. Is it a band setting? Live crowds? Recording? Solo? Nylon acoustic/electrics are great in how they respond to effects, lots of lush territory to explore there. They really need to be thought of as a different instrument in terms of possibilities. Lee Ritenour used a Yamaha silent guitar to good effect in band settings, though they sound a bit less natural on their own they sure blend nice and can play loud.

User Info Menu

I’ve been recently using the Yamaha SGL200N more , previously I had a Takamine nylon-string which was recommended byJohn Pisano ,and still have a Godin that I sometimes use.
    The nylon string always goes through a sound system or guitar speaker. But I found it’s important to add a preamp with e.q. to allow that guitar to really come to life. Having external reverb helps too
    There is no pure acoustic volume , but no feedback either. Price is right too.
    For additional information check out users Lee Ritenour and Leo Ameundo ( Ivan Linns) on youtube.

Skip

User Info Menu

It's great to hear that there are deals to be had.

My purchase would coincide with the purchase of an acoustic guitar amp to use with my Eastman AC 722CE acoustic-electric. I've been looking at the Fishman Loudbox Artist. I'm assuming an acoustic amp is the way to go with nylon strings. I'm set with tube amps otherwise.

Thanks again for all the great tips and info.

User Info Menu

If you get a chance the Mesa Rosette acoustic amp might interest you.

User Info Menu

I have a Fishman Artist and it performs well with all kinds of pickups from piezo to magnetic. It has an adjustable tweeter and switch for augmenting/cutting the signal depending on piezo vs magnetic. Also a sweepable midrange filter.

The upshot is that you would not need a preamp to use this amp--the controls of most A/E guitars will be sufficient. It's pretty easy to avoid the piezo quack and tame feedback with the amp controls.

User Info Menu

I’m in a hunt for a nylon string too, and found out the AEG50N from Ibanez. I mainly play archtop guitars and have no expirence in nylon, and this model caught my eye brcasue of its price and the nut not beeing too wide. Has anybody any expirence with this model?

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/d...50n_5b_01.html