Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Dear Forum,

    this is my first post after many time spent here just lurking around.

    About me, I am an adult learner I did 3 years of Jazz guitar when I was a teenager but it did not stick. Recently, I have been playing the piano and studying Jazz with a teacher. During the lock down, my old love came back and I bought a nylon hibrid (NTX700) that I have been playing really a lot. On one side I am try to get a lot of fingerpicking piece (perfect for the NTX) on the other I am revisiting all the Standards I have seen so far on the piano... and I am loving it.

    Living in two places and being partially affected by GAS, I decided to have a go to a semi hallow. And my research has narrowed down to this two second hand concrete possibilities.

    AS73B 2009. With replaced pups (SD SH2+SH4 the metal covered version). The guys who sell it has several acoustics and got this one together with anotehr acoustic but he ended up not really happy with style and he is moving to a telecaster. He says that the guitar is properly setup and, being a semi-pro musician, he probably have taken a good care of it. He sell it for 300euros (~350$) with the hard case.

    or

    AS103 VB 2010 all original. The guy is the first owner (he sent me a copy of the receive). It comes with hard case (I guess it was included ) and Roland Micro Cube (the old version). All for 500eur (590$).

    I have no amp and in fact I was really thinking to start with a Micro Cube or similar. So in the first case, keep in mind that I need to put a bit extra on top...

    I would love to play jazz, but also rock and blues but more toward a clean tone not necessary driven.

    I have read a lot on the two guitar, but it is hard to have an idea of the real differences in term of finitions and actual lutherie. Is it worth investing a bit more in the 103?

    I would go probably to see both guitars, but they are both a bit far away and so I need to give a priority.

    Any advice/suggestions?

    Thanks guys!

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I have a Yamaha NTX700 and really enjoy it for solo guitar arrangements. The crossover neck is much easier to adapt to for someone who has played steel strings all his life.

    I have an Ibanez AF105NT, which I think has some similarities to the AS103, but it’s hollow (not semi-) and has a thicker body and single cutaway. It used to be my workhorse for playing in loud bands as it sounded good and was feedback resistant. For playing at home or small ensembles I prefer a larger body lighter-built instrument for more of an acoustic tone, but the AF105 is a good guitar. Ibanez quality is typically great—it looks nice and has a nice feeling neck and fretwork.

    I took a quick look at AS73 and AS103 reviews & specs. The pickups on the AS103 are better that what came on the AS73, but you said the owner upgraded the 73. If prices were equal I’d check out the 103 first. But I’d recommend trying a few guitars if you can before choosing one.

    If you’re thinking you want to also play blues and rock, why not start with a Telecaster?

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I'd go for the 103 and the MicroCube. I played an AS103 and AS73 side by side once (several years ago, so take this with a grain of salt). I thought the 103 sounded better, had a better looking finish, and seemed somewhat better made. I don't know prices for either of these, but just doing a quick Google, $590 USD for a 103 and a MicroCube looks like a good price.

    John
    Last edited by John A.; 08-28-2020 at 11:44 PM.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I had an AS73 and upgraded the pick-ups. This made it a great guitar.
    As the pickups on the AS73 have also been upgraded, the two advantages the AS103 have are it is a prettier guitar with more bling and it will be easier to sell at is all original. I'd go for the AS73 myself.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    ... I'd go for the AS73 myself.
    I’d tend to agree if the workmanship of the guitar is equal, but that also assumes the seller’s pickup work was properly done and realized the desired improvements. The proof comes in playing it.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    I'd spend less on the guitar and more on the amp. Especially with upgraded PUs, the AS-73 should serve you well. The Micro Cube is OK for home use only, and there's a lot of newer choices around.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fofig
    Dear Forum,

    this is my first post after many time spent here just lurking around.

    About me, I am an adult learner I did 3 years of Jazz guitar when I was a teenager but it did not stick. Recently, I have been playing the piano and studying Jazz with a teacher. During the lock down, my old love came back and I bought a nylon hibrid (NTX700) that I have been playing really a lot. On one side I am try to get a lot of fingerpicking piece (perfect for the NTX) on the other I am revisiting all the Standards I have seen so far on the piano... and I am loving it.

    Living in two places and being partially affected by GAS, I decided to have a go to a semi hallow. And my research has narrowed down to this two second hand concrete possibilities.

    AS73B 2009. With replaced pups (SD SH2+SH4 the metal covered version). The guys who sell it has several acoustics and got this one together with anotehr acoustic but he ended up not really happy with style and he is moving to a telecaster. He says that the guitar is properly setup and, being a semi-pro musician, he probably have taken a good care of it. He sell it for 300euros (~350$) with the hard case.

    or

    AS103 VB 2010 all original. The guy is the first owner (he sent me a copy of the receive). It comes with hard case (I guess it was included ) and Roland Micro Cube (the old version). All for 500eur (590$).

    I have no amp and in fact I was really thinking to start with a Micro Cube or similar. So in the first case, keep in mind that I need to put a bit extra on top...

    I would love to play jazz, but also rock and blues but more toward a clean tone not necessary driven.

    I have read a lot on the two guitar, but it is hard to have an idea of the real differences in term of finitions and actual lutherie. Is it worth investing a bit more in the 103?

    I would go probably to see both guitars, but they are both a bit far away and so I need to give a priority.

    Any advice/suggestions?

    Thanks guys!

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I'd spend less on the guitar and more on the amp. Especially with upgraded PUs, the AS-73 should serve you well. The Micro Cube is OK for home use only, and there's a lot of newer choices around.
    Thank you all!

    Yes the AS73 has new electronics and PUs. For the moment I only plan to get an Amp for practice and it seems that the Micro is pretty sturdy and with good reviews. Sometimes I jam at my teachers but he has decent Fender Rev amp.

    Any suggestion as an alternative to the Micro? Small and cheap for the moment :-)

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fofig
    Thank you all!

    Yes the AS73 has new electronics and PUs. For the moment I only plan to get an Amp for practice and it seems that the Micro is pretty sturdy and with good reviews. Sometimes I jam at my teachers but he has decent Fender Rev amp.

    Any suggestion as an alternative to the Micro? Small and cheap for the moment :-)
    If you don't need it to be battery powered, there are many, options. I don't known what they cost where you are, but here in the US you can get a Fender Champion 20 for about $100. I have both a MicroCube and a C 20. The C 20 is a lot better sounding and loud enough for playing with a band (up to a point). It's a little bigger and heavier, but still very portable (I carry mine to sessions all the time).

    But if you need battery powered and cheap, the MicroCube is the best thing out there IMO. The Yamaha Thr5 sounds better, but is more expensive.

    John

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    The AS103 is considered a much better and special guitar, IIRC, made in China but well above average. I used to have an AM93, it was a very average, nothing special instrument IMO.

  12. #11
    Just as an update... I finally went for a third guitar. Also an AS73 but with Phat Cat SD at the neck and SD 59 at the bridge. The guitar is in good shape but I have fixed an appointment with a luthier for a proper setup.

    I am coming back to guitar after many years, so I have basically no experience. the Phat Cat might a bit bright ? but I like it and on the amp I can dial quite some with the eq.

    It needs intonation and action setup, but also probably a bit of work on the nut. Maybe tuners and bridge. The luthier told me that we will look at the guitar together and we will make plan. He told me that are good guitar.

    It was love at first sight and more I play the more I love it. ( My teacher, who is mainly a piano teacher but plays all the instruments, was impressed and wants one now :-)
    So I might decide to keep this guitar quite for sometime so maybe worth some some upgrade.

    For amp I bought a Cube 40XL and a Micro cube both of them together around 150 euros. Both, in different leagues, have impressed me. The JC channel clean is what I am using more.


    So at the end I spent 100 euros less then the 103 and I have an extra amp. To start again will be ok I guess