The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Levin is over her 75th birthday, suffered 7 cracks during her lifetime, but recently had healed by an excellent luthier. Kay has similar age, but probably a bit younger. It was not yet in the hand of my trusted luthier (shame) so its action it terribly high, because the bent neck. Anyway I managed to convert it lefty, and intonation is pretty good, despite of the bridge trick and bent neck (tuned to compromises on the area 5th fret to 10th fret, not on open strings...)

Do not miss the instrument close-up at the end :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the demo of the two classic and unusual vintage guitars strung up as lefties. As a fellow-lefty, I appreciate hearing different lefty guitars rather than the usual array of southpaw instruments. I think they both sound great with the Kay edging out the Levin just a tad. Looks like the Kay is a bit larger which might account for the slightly rounder, fuller tone. If I didn't have the direct comparison to hear, I wouldn't have noticed. Also, thanks for reminding us of the great song, End of a Love Affair. Nice rendition, by the way.

User Info Menu

Which Kay model is that?

I have a Kay from the 50's--all mahogany archie. Nice tone, though the neck is a little bowed, still playable though. I have it set up for slide right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Which Kay model is that?

I have a Kay from the 50's--all mahogany archie. Nice tone, though the neck is a little bowed, still playable though. I have it set up for slide right now.
    I think it is a K-60.
    Here are the reverb photos where I bought it
    Kay 17" art deco high end archtop 1950 Antique Blonde | | Reverb

User Info Menu

The Kay sounds much better than I expected, having only played cheaper models than this one, but I preferred the Levin's tone. I prefer softer/darker tones in general. However, the Kay's inlays are sure fun!

User Info Menu

Lovely old guitars!
    The prewar Kay K60 Television came in walnut brown sunburst only. The blonde Kay K62 Television should look like this: Kay K-62 "Television" Model (1937-1939) Natural | Reverb

Your Kay looks like the K46 Artist (1947 to 1951), then available for $97.50 (Vintage 40s Kay K-46 Artist 17" Master Size Jumbo | Reverb ). It sported unbound f-holes, while the K44 ($76.50) had bound f-holes, block inlays and a different headstock decoration.
    Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Fret
    Lovely old guitars!
    The prewar Kay K60 Television came in walnut brown sunburst only. The blonde Kay K62 Television should look like this: Kay K-62 "Television" Model (1937-1939) Natural | Reverb

Your Kay looks like the K46 Artist (1947 to 1951), then available for $97.50 (Vintage 40s Kay K-46 Artist 17" Master Size Jumbo | Reverb ). It sported unbound f-holes, while the K44 ($76.50) had bound f-holes, block inlays and a different headstock decoration.
    Cheers!
    yes, it is always a challenge identify.... I found also this, which is very similar to mine, including the five piece neck... (the K 46 you pointed, has one piece neck)

1940 Kay K-60 Television Model Blond > Guitars Acoustic | Southside Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    yes, it is always a challenge identify.... I found also this, which is very similar to mine, including the five piece neck... (the K 46 you pointed, has one piece neck)

1940 Kay K-60 Television Model Blond > Guitars Acoustic | Southside Guitars

This one is only offered as a Kay K60 ... as already mentioned: K60s were sunburst. Original Televisions are less frequently to find and should be a bit more worth on the vintage market.

Kay guitars show countless subtle variations, the decoration, binding, etc., especially the necks, and - to answer one question - yes, some models, though described in the catalogs as sporting rosewood fretboards, came originally with ebony FBs.
    It's also thinkable that your postwar guitar (no doubt about that just from the pics, IMO) got an earlier or later replacement neck, or, vice versa, the mentioned K46 got one ... I wouldn't care too much because all these guitars are of quite similar construction and quality, though a prewar Television should generally go for a bit more than a comparable non-cutaway postwar Kay model.

User Info Menu

I was struck not by the differences between these two venerable instruments, but rather by their similarities, tone wise. This bears out my belief that tone lies largely (50%-75%) in the hands. Thanks for this comparison!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I was struck not by the differences between these two venerable instruments, but rather by their similarities, tone wise. This bears out my belief that tone lies largely (50%-75%) in the hands. Thanks for this comparison!
    Many thanks for your observation, You are right it is literally scary how they similar sound listening back in the recording. I have to add, when playing I experiencing they are way different, but I guess it is psychology.

The similarity also can be explained with the using the same pick (Jazz III Ultrex) and in acoustic setting the pick counts a lot in the final sound, compared to an amplified setting.

Still it is true, the player would like to achieve a sound what is in his imagination, and try to execute that by adopting to any instrument when playing.