The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

looking at 4mm propleks pick, (351 style)

I *think* I used delrin a while back from bhl picks and found it very slippery. (had to toss it)

any thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about Delrin guitar picks.
    (I'm using Tortex picks lately but have used Delrin---never found it slippery.)

Delrin Guitar Picks - The Best Delrin Guitar Picks | Guitar Pick Zone

User Info Menu

For a couple of decades my standard pick was the 1.5 mm Dunlop Delrin 500 in the 351 shape. They were kind of a lavender color. I really like the edge treatment on those which allowed the string to slide very gracefully off the pick. However, they don't seem to come in the very small 358 shape that I have very much come to prefer. I have cut a couple of the 351s down to Jazz III size and I like those, but even the Jazz III is bigger than I like.

The 500s are pretty durable; I have had some of those picks in use for 25 years or more (I don't seem to be a person who loses picks very much, and I prefer them where the tip is worn in a little bit rather than fresh out of the package).

Tonally the 500s are a little brighter than the D'Andrea ProPlecs, but have a similar very low pick noise factor, which is part of why I like them.

Dunlop also makes a line of Delrin picks which have a sort of matte finish to them. They have a great deal of noise against the string which I find incredibly bothersome and they are much brighter which may be the different shape of the edge versus the finish. I'm going to try buffing one of those down, one of these days, to see if I can eliminate that problem. The extra grip afforded by the matte finish is kind of nice.

User Info Menu

I used celluloid back in the 60's and early 70's (when I started with the guitar), switched to Nylon in the late 70's and switched to Delrin in the early zeros.

Delrin sounds great, feels great and is not overly slippery.
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 08-28-2020 at 01:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Delrin is easily machined, more UV resistant than nylon and makes great pulleys for boat blocks. Never tried it for a pick but I don't use those as often as I used to.

User Info Menu

too slippery

Is cellulose Acetal the same as Acetate? (Dugain picks)

Propleks option for 4mm moreno (fender 351 equiv)

Acetate has a decent grip

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov

love the proplecs when new but they warp and get scratchy sounding.

User Info Menu

people here seem extremely picky about picks, pun sort of intended
    I really found tortex 1.5 and use those normally, but i can adjust to whatever, even a fender medium works
    I don't get this fascination, but maybe that's because i've found what i need to get the job done... i still try all kinds of others, but always go back to tortex 1.5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov

NO....Acetal = Delrin

"NO....Acetal = Delrin"

Thanks!

I'll stick with Casein picks you can get @ 4mm

EML Picks - Home | Facebook

User Info Menu

ok, so i bought a few of these in 1.5 and they are much harder than the tortex/gator and sound like it, not sure if i am actually getting used to it, i like them fine, but woulnd't get them again