The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

So I’ve got a question about the total amount of string tension an Archtop guitar can take. I am the owner of an L5CES and recently got my guitar setup with galli electric black nylon tape wound strings (light 12-56)I had gotten them setup with the wound e and b from the set from a pro setup. At home after playing the wound e and b I decided to try the plain e and b. It seems the tech at the store mixed the strings in the pack and I tuned up the 15 gauge plain string that was intended for B, all the way to e. And in place of the b string I had the 12 gauge plain E.

Now my question is, could I have damaged the guitar tuning the 15 gauge b 3 whole steps all the way to e? How much total string tension can an Archtop take anyways? I tried to do a search to the affects, and proper setup of higher gauge strings (14, 15, 16 gauge sets) but didn’t really find a clear answer. The 15 gauge b string I tuned all the way up to e was a stainless steel string, I was just wondering if the 15 gauge plain e strings intended for the e position were a different tension maybe or are they the same generic stainless steel string and the 15 gauge b that I have?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had a Les Paul Custom that I had a set of 0.015 to 0.060 gauge strings. I doubt if you permanently damaged your L5CES, but between us, I wouldn't try it again.

User Info Menu

Having an L5CESN and knowing how sturdy/heavy they are built I really wouldn't be too concerned, but who knows? I used to use the George Benson 14/56 set and replaced the 14/18 with 15/20 sounded great, never a problem. That was before I screwed. my wrists up :/
    Good luck!

User Info Menu

A couple years ago, I was playing 15-56 Labella 20PH flats for a while on my Epiphone Regent 25.5 scale same as the L5 LCES so don't expect any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    A couple years ago, I was playing 15-56 Labella 20PH flats for a while on my Epiphone Regent 25.5 scale same as the L5 LCES so don't expect any damage.
    I was wondering about this set, and also the GHS Pat Martino set, with the 15 plain e.

It’s really a question the sparked in my head when I accidentally switched the strings. According to the tension calculator on Stringjoy Guitar String Tension Calculator , a 15 gauge string tuned to e, over 25.5 scale, has a tension of 40.1 lbs and a 12 gauge tuned to b has tension of 14.4 lbs. The tension of the other 4 strings (Low E, A, D, G) according to Black nylon electric totals up to 88.12 lbs, giving a total string tension of 142.62 lbs when I accidentally switched the strings, if my calculations are correct. Comparatively to a total string tension of 134.18 lbs strung up with the plain high e and b correctly and a comparatively also to a total string tension of 136.14 lbs when string up with the tape wound high e and b.

So the question is, How much string tension can an Archtop take really, in actual numbers?

I looked for the exact string tensions of the PH20 La Bella and GHS Martino sets just as extreme examples of heavy high gauge strings, but could not find the numbers. When I accidentally switched the strings and tuned the 15 gauge b to e, resulting a tension of 40.1 lbs, how does it compare to the tension on these other 15 gauge strings, and other plain stainless steel heavy treble strings, maybe someone can enlighten me. For the sake of tech knowledge, Would the tension of these other strings be around 40 lbs/the same as when I tuned my 15 gauge b string to e?

Galli also makes a medium electric black nylon tape wound set, a 14-67 gauge set, and that has a total string tension of 181.16 lbs, they listed the details on their website, and that’s only a “medium” set. It’s crazy think a “heavy” set would be more, as 181.16 lbs already seems like a lot.
    Last edited by alextguitar; 08-28-2020 at 03:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey, OP, you'll be okay.

User Info Menu

Your guitar will be fine. This is an experiment I would not want to do but my guess is you could put enough tension on to break the string and/or the machine head before real damage to the guitar 9 (way more than your situation.) Sort of like bring bicycle spokes up to tension. At some point you realize you are at the limit and before rim takes a bend you pull the nipple through the hole or you round off the spoke wrench.

Thanks for the replies everyone. If anyone has the string tension info on the La Bella 20 PH 15 gauge set that would be awesome, can’t find it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Having an L5CESN and knowing how sturdy/heavy they are built I really wouldn't be too concerned, but who knows? I used to use the George Benson 14/56 set and replaced the 14/18 with 15/20 sounded great, never a problem. That was before I screwed. my wrists up :/
    Good luck!
    What brand of singles were the 15/20? Would love to know the tension info.

User Info Menu

My 15/20s started as D’Addario then moved to TI and stayed there.

User Info Menu

i use .015 and .018 for my top 2 strings on a '70 mahogany neck 175, you'll be fine.