The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 55

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I'd like to add a sound to my 'sound library' which has a tiny bit of breakup, a bit like Wes' sound on four on six.
    My two amps are DV Mark LJ and the TMDR (both SS) and pushing them into a bit of breakup with a booster doesn't work for me.

I'm interested in the Ibanez TS 808 and Fulltone OCD v2. I know a lot of you have the Fulltone. I don't need massive amounts of gain: I'd prefer to be able to have more tweaking space in the lower gain regions. Any advice?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have both pedals, but can't see them working for a Wes sound. What guitar, pickups and strings are you using? Wes's sound is definitely booster territory (or just more amp gain) and not overdrive.

If you use these pedals as a booster, the biggest difference is that the 808 is going to really color the sound (in a mid heavy way). I would try an eq pedal first if need be.

Thanks!
    Maybe the Wes sound isn't the best example. I just like to have a hair of breakup (preferably also responsive to playing dynamics), but when boosting with my EQ the breakup doesn't sound really natural on the LJ.

My main guitar is an Eastman T64 hollow thinline with P90's, strung with TI swing 012s
    Last edited by Joeontheguitar; 08-25-2020 at 08:28 AM.

User Info Menu

I played through an original tubescreamer long time ago, for a few weeks. Didn’t do much for me, but then I was looking for blues sounds. I’ve got a Caline Orange Burst overdrive which is warm and sweet, with treble bass volume and gain. Cheap too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I’ve had both a TS and the original OCD. No comparison. The TS is a very nasally sound compared to the OCD, which can add clean boost, hair, gravel or brimstone without any nasal squonkiness. I haven’t heard the v2, however.

User Info Menu

TMDR should be able to give you wonderful "on the verge of breakup" sounds. Doesn't it have wattage control in the back for that reason?

I have two TS's (one hand wired). I think they work well with scooped blackface amps. If it sounds nasal, just turn the bass up. You can also sweep the treble to see where you want to place the scoop as treble and bass controls move around the scoop. But as I said, natural break up of DR is great and it would be closer to Wes's sound if it's modelled right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    TMDR should be able to give you wonderful "on the verge of breakup" sounds. Doesn't it have wattage control in the back for that reason?

I have two TS's (one hand wired). I think they work well with scooped blackface amps. If it sounds nasal, just turn the bass up. You can also sweep the treble to see where you want to place the scoop as treble and bass controls move around the scoop. But as I said, natural break up of DR is great and it would be closer to Wes's sound if it's modelled right.
    Yes, I should have said I use the LJ for most of the playing. Or even more correct: for most of the playing in a band. Alone, I use my Waza Air (with which I can dial in any sound I like...so easy)

User Info Menu

The 808 is an overdrive whereas the OCD is a distortion pedal. While either would achieve your goals once dialed in, IMO, the overdrive is the more "discreet " choice. But I would suggest a higher quality overdrive like the Fulldrive 2.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The 808 is an overdrive whereas the OCD is a distortion pedal. While either would achieve your goals once dialed in, IMO, the overdrive is the more "discreet " choice. But I would suggest a higher quality overdrive like the Fulldrive 2.
    I have an 808 clone and an OCD. The OCD has a much bigger gain range than the 808, and at the extreme end on the HP setting it's pretty distorted. But I'd still call it OD rather than distortion because the of the way it retains the ability to preserve dynamics and clean up when you lower the guitar volume.

To the OP, I'd look at something like a SansAmp Blonde/Joyo American Sound or a Boss Deluxe Reverb pedal for what you're talking about. An OD pedal is not really going to do that.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 08-25-2020 at 10:34 PM.

User Info Menu

The TS808 uses soft symmetrical clipping
    The OCD uses hard symmetrical clipping

The SD-1 uses soft asymmetrical clipping (first pedal to do so, almost 40 years ago). The BOSS SD-1 remains among the most natural sounding pedals, still in revision 1, easy to find, inexpensive. For perfectionists, or if you do a lot of studio recording, you may remove the capacitor labeled "C6" from the circuit board (or just cut one leg and leave it in place). All the boutique mods include this because it produces about 80% of these mods' improvements in tone. C6 is the high pass filter for the pedal's tone control circuit; it's removal increases clarity and makes more of the range of the pedal's tone knob usable for good tones.

Ibanez TS (808) vs Fulltone OCD v2-sd1-jpg

Tip - whatever pedal you might select, you can remove the knobs, play through it and turn the shafts until you find the sound you want, then place the knobs back on the shafts with their indicators all straight up at 12 o'clock... makes it easy to return to your preferred settings in seconds, especially if you do this to all your pedals, even a pedal board (in the studio or on stage you can literally just ask anyone to "turn everything to 12" and your rig is all dialed in).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Tip - whatever pedal you might select, you can remove the knobs, play through it and turn the shafts until you find the sound you want, then place the knobs back on the shafts with their indicators all straight up at 12 o'clock... makes it easy to return to your preferred settings in seconds, especially if you do this to all your pedals, even a pedal board (in the studio or on stage you can literally just ask anyone to "turn everything to 12" and your rig is all dialed in).
    Brilliant idea - love this!

User Info Menu

IMO, the best overdrive for jazzy tones is the j rockett blue note. It's very low drive is extremely natural and doesn't interfere with complex chords. The Rat is also good but very dated sounding at this point.

And the advantage of J Rockett is that the owner is a reasonable and sane person compared to one of the other pedals in the headline.

Thanks everybody so far.
    Yes, the Blue Note is also on my short list now, as is the MP Sweet Honey OD. I have the MP Forest Green Compressor and it's a very transparant pedal which I use all the time in the sustain mode (not with a solid body btw).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    IMO, the best overdrive for jazzy tones is the j rockett blue note. It's very low drive is extremely natural and doesn't interfere with complex chords. The Rat is also good but very dated sounding at this point.

And the advantage of J Rockett is that the owner is a reasonable and sane person compared to one of the other pedals in the headline.
    Political comments sneak in everywhere these days from the intolerant left . What a sad state of affairs.

User Info Menu

Lovepedal also makes several great low gain pedals

User Info Menu

I like Paul Cochrane's Timmy very much. Very transparent low gain OD with excellent low and high tone shaping options.

User Info Menu

TC Electronics Mojomojo: Very affordable and warm sounding for Kenny Burrell type hairy tone.

TC Electronic | Product | MOJOMOJO OVERDRIVE

User Info Menu

Well Jack Z is definitely an authority when icon e's to trying out and recommending gear. I don't always agree with him on certain picks. But he has great advice and he usually is on the money with his recommendations!

Blue Note is a good choice for sure! If you want a flatter response try a Timmy Pedal or maybe an Xotic Boost pedal Sweet Boost !

User Info Menu

My problem with the pedals and the ’hair’ is always that they give too much ’hair’. I don’t need hair metal!

The JHS Morning Glory is very low gain overdrive. I have the V4, it has hot switch too. But usually I get my ’hot’ from afore mentioned Blue Note (the blue one for me), so I use the MG for ’a bit of hair’.

User Info Menu

actually i tried an 808, with od set very low and tone flat, and it sounded very old school, tweed.. reminded me of old kenny burrell and sounded awesome for jazz... just like a little boost

User Info Menu

The TS808 has a sweet spot for slight overdrive on the first 5-10 degrees of the dial - beyond that it lives up to its name.
    For a more controlled slight breakup a Klon is perfect, but recent good alternatives are the Wampler Tumnus (less than half the price of a real Klon) and the Lovepedal Hermida Zendrive (at 2/3 the price of a Klon)

I went for the MP Sweet Honey. Still waiting for it, because it's in backorder.

User Info Menu

A cheap way of adding some nice mids and a slight breakup to blackface amps is the Soul Food pedal. It's I think the most affordable Klon clone.

User Info Menu

Try the JHS Crayon or Colourbox V2 for that bit of "hair on the notes".

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t use either of those pedals. The tubescreamer is going to get you too stuck in the mud and the OCD won’t tame nicely enough. If you are going pedal route try a low gain pedal, an as advertised low gain pedal or a “transparent” overdrive. Many have made great suggestions like the morning glory and blue note. I would add the J Rockett Archer, Emerson Paramount, and Barber Gain Changer. All that being said, if you can get a tube amp and swap the speaker with an early breakup style or tweed, then you’ll nail it. I get beautiful break up tones with my Peerless when played through Fender Blues Deluxe which I swapped the speaker with a WGS g12c/s