The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

As the title says, I am looking for a tube amp to use at home. I don't really see myself playing with other people so I don't need a loud amp.

The most I would like to spend is $550 and I really only want to play jazz and rock. Most of my research has been for combos but I wouldn't mind a head and cab.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

On my radar: Fender bassbreaker, Supro blues king. If anyone has experience with these, please let me know.
    Last edited by Gabriel786; 08-22-2020 at 03:07 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

5W with 10” speaker is borderline; anything more would be too loud...

Quote Originally Posted by tomems
    5W with 10” speaker is borderline; anything more would be too loud...
    Wouldn't an amp with master volume handle it? I live by myself so my plan is not to play it at the lowest volume. Just not loud enough to bother neighbors. Also, the walls seem to be pretty thick at my apartment

User Info Menu

Yes, master volume is your friend. I am in an apartment with a 22-Watt Princeton Reverb II with a 12” Electro-Voice speaker and a master volume. The neighbours have not complained yet.

User Info Menu

Almost any quality amp with a headphone jack will be your friend and keep your apartment neighbors happy.

User Info Menu

As a recovered tube snob, I totally get the appeal of a genuine tube amp (and still own one), but you might be surprised at just how good modeling has become. The Yamaha THR and Boss Katana mini are worth at least a quick test. They are more versatile than any tube amp you are likely to find in your budget, sound amazing, and are perfect for low volume playing while still retaining the dynamic response of a tube amp. If you are committed to a tube amp, Orange also makes a low wattage amp which gets high marks and sounds good in demos I’ve heard.

User Info Menu

Mine was well under $500 USD. Love it!

User Info Menu

Try a Fender Blues Junior IV. I play it at home very low so as not to disturb my wife who is now working from home, because of COVID. It has both volume and master volume controls. I find by adjusting these I get a nice jazz tone at low volume.

In the future you want to go to a jam session, I find it’s plenty loud enough for that situation too.

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie
    Try a Fender Blues Junior IV. I play it at home very low so as not to disturb my wife who is now working from home, because of COVID. It has both volume and master volume controls. I find by adjusting these I get a nice jazz tone at low volume.

In the future you want to go to a jam session, I find it’s plenty loud enough for that situation too.
    Thanks for the info. Did you buy it new? If so, for what price? (If you don't mind me asking). I'm a new reverb user so they gave me 10% off and that would bring a Fender Blues Junior Lacquered Tweed (new) to $539 from $599. Is this a fair price? I ask because I was told that the prices of amps have gone up due to the disruption of supply chains from COVID.

User Info Menu

Yes I bought it new. I got the Blues Jr IV last year. I think it was about $550 USD. Guitar Center is listing them now at 599 USD. $539 sounds like a good price if from a reputable dealer.

User Info Menu

supro blues king 10!..very flexible...has boost, reverb, master volume...single 6v6 thru 10" for tone

supros are/were nice...they were just recently sold to d'angelico..so expect some changes...but they were being handmade in long island ny for the past few years...so act quick, if you want one

Supro Blues King 10
    Specifications

5-Watt Class A power amp
    1×10” tube combo
    Footswitchable boost and gain
    Analog spring reverb
    ¼” line output
    FET Boost (Pigtronix)
    FAT Drive
    Custom Supro BK10 speaker
    12AX7 preamp tube
    6V6 power tube

cheers

ps- nice looker too

Last edited by neatomic; 08-22-2020 at 08:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    supro blues king 10!..very flexible...has boost, reverb, master volume...single 6v6 thru 10" for tone

supros are/were nice...they were just recently sold to d'angelico..so expect some changes...but they were being handmade in long island ny for the past few years...so act quick, if you want one

Supro Blues King 10
    Specifications

5-Watt Class A power amp
    1×10” tube combo
    Footswitchable boost and gain
    Analog spring reverb
    ¼” line output
    FET Boost (Pigtronix)
    FAT Drive
    Custom Supro BK10 speaker
    12AX7 preamp tube
    6V6 power tube

cheers

ps- nice looker too
    ......and spring reverb too ?? I see some at Guitar Center ??... (' now backordered', sorry )

.......are they quiet ??
    Last edited by Dennis D; 08-22-2020 at 09:26 PM.

User Info Menu

I always think the best thing is to go try a few amps. Nobody can tell you what you'll like. Aside from the power rating you'll want to consider the quality of reverb and other effects, assuming that matters to you. Are you going to want distorted tones or his this strictly for clean jazz? Effects matter too, as does the overall tone quality. Only you can judge these things. As for power, I think 5-10 watts should be about right. Anything more is more than you need, and won't be optimal for low volume distorted tones.

Good luck. I hope you find an amp you love.

User Info Menu

I think you're underestimating the power of tube wattage here. My ac4hw can blow the doors off of any room in the house. neighbors hated it. And even with the master volume, it still sounded best louder than you'd want it to be if you're trying not to make enemies. So keep that in mind.

My current quiet solution is amplitube and some headphones. Best tones I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    I always think the best thing is to go try a few amps. Nobody can tell you what you'll like. Aside from the power rating you'll want to consider the quality of reverb and other effects, assuming that matters to you. Are you going to want distorted tones or his this strictly for clean jazz? Effects matter too, as does the overall tone quality. Only you can judge these things. As for power, I think 5-10 watts should be about right. Anything more is more than you need, and won't be optimal for low volume distorted tones.

Good luck. I hope you find an amp you love.
    To be honest I have only been practicing for a month after I was gifted an electric guitar. I've always like the sound of tube amps and I am only looking to play jazz and rock(queens of the stone age, artic monkeys, nirvana). It would be difficult to try out amps because of my lack of experience playing.

All I know is what kind of music I would like to play. I am leaning towards a fender blues jr at the moment based on it being the most recommended and the research I have done. I appreciate your response.

If you have anything to say based on my response, I would like to hear it. Thanks

Also, thanks to everyone who took the time out to help.

User Info Menu

My only other suggestion would be for you to take someone who can play to the music store with you, if you know such a person. Let them try a few low power amps for you and see what you like. Then buy them lunch for their trouble. Failing that, you might want to ask the clerk there to show you. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Another option would be an amp with a headphone jack, which works well in apartment settings to keep peace with the neighbors.

A tube option I'd recommend is something based on the Fender tweed Champ circuit. Very simple circuit, great sound. I think VHT makes a very good sounding but low cost amp like that, the Special 6 or something like that. The Fender Super Champ X2 might also be worth looking at- tubes but also amp modeling built it.

And welcome to guitar playing!

User Info Menu

If you want a tube amp, you'll have to get one. It's not just sound, it's the entire experience, including the non-rational parts.

Your budget will cover a lot of amps. I don't know which to recommend. They all sound a little different and you'll have to use your own taste.

But, I'd add this. There are perfectly good solid state amps that sound great -- and I'd guess that a lot of people would have trouble telling them apart from tube amps. I recently tried it, comparing the DV Mark Little Jazz to a vintage Ampeg Reverberocket. They sound surprisingly close. Adjustments in EQ made a much bigger difference than switching to the other amp.

So, I'd suggest considering solid state too and, if money is an issue, using some of the excess cash for an FX unit. You'll end up wanting it to get some of the sounds of the groups you like.

User Info Menu

If you’re willing to put in a bit of work, I think the Fender Super Champ XD is pretty phenomenal. I bought one used for $175 from a local pawn shop and replaced the stock speaker with an eminence Ragin Cajun. After break in, eventually swapping the tubes to some JJ’s and re-biasing, this amp sings. I never use the second channel with the DSP amp emulation, only the first channel...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel786
    As the title says, I am looking for a tube amp to use at home. I don't really see myself playing with other people so I don't need a loud amp.

The most I would like to spend is $550 and I really only want to play jazz and rock. Most of my research has been for combos but I wouldn't mind a head and cab.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

On my radar: Fender bassbreaker, Supro blues king. If anyone has experience with these, please let me know.
    If tubes and low wattage are an absolute must, at that price point I'd look for a used silverface Fender Champ (you could probably find one for $600). New at that price point, Fender Blues Jr. For less money, a used Fender Champion 600 or a new Bugera v5.

John

User Info Menu

I’ve got a Laney Cub 10. Cheap tubes, great sound but it makes some beeps of its own, probably the fart-out-suppression circuit. (Serious). If you can find one of those 8 inch Ampeg tube combos, they are brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I think you could find a tweed champ kit build for around that price if you shop around.

There are deals to be had on non-Fender 5w amps like Gibson, Epiphone, Valco sticker brands, Harmony, etc. You have to be patient and look under rugs, but they turn up regularly.

I don't know how you feel about Chinese made gear, but I understand this is a tweed champ clone:

JOYO-JTA-05 SWEET BABY TUBE AMP – Music Express Canada

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

VHT Special 6 and spend the rest on a good speaker/tubes

User Info Menu

I say wait on a tube amp. For now, the Yamaha THR10ii at $299 will serve you well with its variety of tones and its ability to be a Bluetooth speaker as well. I have not found a better practice tool. Download iReal Pro to your phone and play your guitar along with iReal Pro. You will advance quicker and enjoy playing more. After you know a bunch of jazz standards, and/or starting playing with others, start looking at a tube amp.

Headphone out, Aux in, USB port (record direct to your phone or tablet), built-in tuner, lots of amps, cabinets and effects built-in. And, as a bonus, there are orange lights inside to help you imagine the glow of tubes. Seriously, its a great amp. I keep it in my living room, it also looks great on the end table. As a bonus, it can do great rock tones as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    I say wait on a tube amp. For now, the Yamaha THR10ii at $299 will serve you well with its variety of tones and its ability to be a Bluetooth speaker as well. I have not found a better practice tool. Download iReal Pro to your phone and play your guitar along with iReal Pro. You will advance quicker and enjoy playing more. After you know a bunch of jazz standards, and/or starting playing with others, start looking at a tube amp.

Headphone out, Aux in, USB port (record direct to your phone or tablet), built-in tuner, lots of amps, cabinets and effects built-in. And, as a bonus, there are orange lights inside to help you imagine the glow of tubes. Seriously, its a great amp. I keep it in my living room, it also looks great on the end table. As a bonus, it can do great rock tones as well.
    I played one of these, and hated it, it's cheap, but all you need is a good basic tone, I'd rather have any small tube amp with a good tone and roll back the volume on the guitar, a lot of people like those little amps, but i found it terrible.. just my opinion.. it would be very convenient