The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

I am fully supporting Deacon's project. My minor contribution will be that all the single PU archtops will be mounted with a Charlie Christian pick up, trustful to the prewar PU.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 08-18-2020 at 04:16 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    I am fully supporting Deacon's project. My minor contribution will be that all the single PU archtops will be mounted with a Charlie Christian pick up, trutful to the prewar PU.

Cheers.
    And here is the issue:

Some guitarists want the iconic archtops with two humbuckers

Some guitarists want the iconic archtops with one humbucker

Some guitarists want the iconic archtops with two P-90's

Some guitarists want the iconic archtops with one P-90

Some guitarists want the iconic archtops with one CC Pickup

Some guitarists want the iconic archtops with no pickups (or a floater)

The solution: Mark Campellone (That many choices ain't never gonna happen with Gibson)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The solution: Mark Campellone (That many choices ain't never gonna happen with Gibson)
    And for the guys form this side of the pond, we have Daniël Slaman in The Hague. Bryant Trenier now in Uzes, France, ain't bad neither...

User Info Menu

And for the guys form this side of the pond, we have Daniël Slaman in The Hague. Bryant Trenier now in Uzes, France, ain't bad neither...
    Daniel Slaman makes a gorgeous Les Paul style with a CC pickup in neck position ; have you tried it?

User Info Menu

The "Pauletta" that Daniel Slaman made for Miles Okazaki looks absolutely gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JFranck
    Daniel Slaman makes a gorgeous Les Paul style with a CC pickup in neck position ; have you tried it?
    Yep Sir. I could try them at Daniël workshop in Jan 2017. Daniël calls them "The Paulettes". I am definitly an archtop guy and, altough very attractive, these models are not my cup of tea.

Here is a pic' of them from my visit.

A Gibson Wesmo for every model. I want one-paulettes-jpg

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I'll offer a name: wES-175.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I'll offer a name: wES-175.
    like this?
    A Gibson Wesmo for every model. I want one-wes-175-jpg

User Info Menu

I dunno .... my Super-400CES (1963) sounds great as it is with the original PAF's and I doubt that the removal of the bridge pup (which I never use) would have such a
    noticeable effect on the overall tone of this guitar. The tops of these are quite thick to begin with (feedback threshold is high !) so the possible increase in acoustic response /volume would be minor and for me personally, not welcome. Wouldn't want to change a winning team ....

User Info Menu

gitman,

You got that right! The Super 400s of the 30s and 40s (and the L5 guitars, too) were primarily big, acoustic archtop guitars. From the 50s onward they were built to be electric-acoustic guitars (especially from the 60s onwards).

Everyone would love to have a Holy Grail that combines the superb acoustic qualities of a 30s Gibson archtop with the electric qualities of a 60s Gibson archtop (with PAFs). IMO, that's just not going to happen. Those guitar classes--though built with the same names--were consciously designed with two different purposes. A fully acoustic archtop from the big band era is an orchestral guitar. Your Super 400 is designed to be essentially the pinnacle of the jazz _electric_ guitar.

For playing chord melody/bop lines music, I don't think the Super-400CES or the L-5CES instruments of the period your guitar represents can be beat.

ENJOY!

User Info Menu

Yep Sir. I could try them at Daniël workshop in Jan 2017. Daniël calls them "The Paulettes". I am definitly an archtop guy and, altough very attractive, these models are not my cup of tea.

Here is a pic' of them from my visit.

A Gibson Wesmo for every model. I want one-paulettes-jpg

Cheers.

Beautiful guitars. I always liked the idea of Wesmos guitars.

In Autumn 2012 I "modded" a Les Paul clone as follows:

A Gibson Wesmo for every model. I want one-030-jpgA Gibson Wesmo for every model. I want one-036-jpg

A Gibson Wesmo for every model. I want one-046-jpg

Two years later built this beauty, here seen in the company of a Yunzhi:

A Gibson Wesmo for every model. I want one-134-jpg

Fun in the farm.

User Info Menu

With time and fading, the Fender Custom Colors are tough to tell apart. The Jazzmaster on the left is a mid-60s in Sherwood Green Metallic. The Jazz Bass on the right is also mid-60s, but in a faded Lake Placid Blue. Lots of folks would have flubbed this, I suspect.
    A Gibson Wesmo for every model. I want one-color-comparison-jpg

User Info Menu

Crimson shop 2010 ES175A Gibson Wesmo for every model. I want one-3414951e-8a61-4065-85f2-18c2314b19ea-jpg

User Info Menu

vinny1k,

That's a great Crimson Shop guitar!

User Info Menu

I LOVE single pu archtops. I would love a custom single pu S400 thinline model but the price tag would be far beyond my means. A single pu Tal too. I inquired about a single pu Tal through TMZ around 3 years ago and Gibson came back with a $2K upcharge. A single pu L4CES I would love too. My favorite Gibson will always be the L5 Wes. I am not a floater guy though. I love the warmth of a set in humbucker.

User Info Menu

2K for not routing a hole and not installing a second pickup. and not drilling and installing a pair of control knobs and drilling a hole for a toggle.
    should be more like 2K off imo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    2K for not routing a hole and not installing a second pickup. and not drilling and installing a pair of control knobs and drilling a hole for a toggle.should be more like 2K off imo
    Agreed.....but that is Gibson. My single pu 175 was a $600 upcharge in 2010.

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who hates the "Wesmo" abbreviation... I don't know why, but it drives me nuts, sorry

User Info Menu

It's pretty hard for me to muster feelings of hate about much of anything.

That said, I don't think I would ever say "Wesmo" for any reason. "Wes" ... sure. "Wes Montgomery" you bet.

User Info Menu

could someone tell me the origin of this abbreviation ?