The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I just picked up one of these little guys -- the base, non-wireless model.

I must say that out of the box I was a bit underwhelmed with the clean sound. But after loading the THR Remote app and playing around with the options for a few minutes (particularly the different cab sims), I am now officially Whelmed! What a great sounding little low-volume amp.

I know that a few of us have these now, so I thought it might be good to start a thread of some of the settings that people are finding useful.

I just got mine yesterday and I've barely scratched the surface of what this thing can do, but so far with my Jazzica I'm really enjoying the (Classic) Clean through the Boutique 2x12 cab, with a bit of hall reverb and a touch of delay. I haven't tried tried my tele through it yet.

What settings are you using?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mine sounds great on clean with the gain up a bit:
    Yamaha THR10II Settings-2bd5cbd3-968e-48eb-8926-a0b06d34b688-jpg
    I add a little reverb and boom. Sounds killer for practicing in my living room. I paired my iPhone and iPad with it and play iRealPro tracks through it running the last two knobs straight up as well (Guitar, Audio). Being able to adjust each volume for a perfect play along balance is awesome. Sounds glorious.

Also, I record direct from the Yamaha’s USB port into my iPad Pro using GarageBand. You can get fat jazz tone, but only if you adjust the Level of the USB Out pretty high (between 95 and 97 is about perfect).
    Yamaha THR10II Settings-dee34129-b827-4cda-b969-f5c24846ddbb-jpg

Congrats on acquiring one of best little practice and recording amps available.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

I hardly ever use the clean channel...i like the crunch with the gain low, just so the hardest notes I hit have a little "hair."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I hardly ever use the clean channel...i like the crunch with the gain low, just so the hardest notes I hit have a little "hair."

Sounds awesome, Jeff!

User Info Menu

I've been using using the 'bass' setting on my THR10C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bleakanddivine
    I've been using using the 'bass' setting on my THR10C.

Sounds great! Nice playing too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sounds awesome, Jeff. I guess the crunch channel is supposed to be an AC-30? Have you gone all out and used the British 2x12 cab?

I guess I'm doing something similar hair-wise, with the gain up around 1:00 on the clean.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Also, I record direct from the Yamaha’s USB port into my iPad Pro using GarageBand. You can get fat jazz tone, but only if you adjust the Level of the USB Out pretty high (between 95 and 97 is about perfect).
    Thanks for the tip, rolijen. Being able to go straight into my Mac via USB is one of the reasons I got one of these. I haven't actually tried it yet -- I have to rummage up a USB Type-B cable, dammit!

User Info Menu

@mr. beaumont

Be incredible if you could share those crunch settings. Never considered using the crunch channel for jazz tones. Sounds amazing, but it might be your playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MoMan
    @mr. beaumont

Be incredible if you could share those crunch settings. Never considered using the crunch channel for jazz tones. Sounds amazing, but it might be your playing.
    Agreed. Sounds real good, Jeff.

User Info Menu

The Eq depends on which guitar I'm using...but generally the mids are boosted (about 2 o'clock), high and low start flat and I adjust from there...highs stay flat on my tele, lows get boosted, with my 575 the lows get turned back a bit and the highs go up.

The gain is set just high enough so that the hardest notes I hit break up a bit. Again, different with different guitars.

And that's really it. No speaker cab emulation, for recording with my phone I like the straight sound the best. No other effects except reverb to taste.

Really a great sounding practice amp that never sounds "boxy" to me. Sounds much bigger than it is.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for responding Jeff.
    Very helpful tips. Your playing and tone sounds great.

I'll keep practicing!

User Info Menu

I got a thr10ii in today. I had to work so didn't have time to try it extensively but i liked the clean channel out of the box. I liked the chorus too! Hadn't played one for a long time.

User Info Menu

Looking for a bedrrom/amp amplifier - anyone get any 'unwanted' noise or hiss out of this thing. That is a big no-no for me and I've been struggling getting an amp that doesn't hiss at super quiet bedrrom/apartment levels

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris32895
    Looking for a bedrrom/amp amplifier - anyone get any 'unwanted' noise or hiss out of this thing. That is a big no-no for me and I've been struggling getting an amp that doesn't hiss at super quiet bedrrom/apartment levels
    I have the same sensitivity to hiss. I have the Yamaha THR30 II and I can get many hissless voices out of it for quiet bedroom playing. You can also get a THR10C for less money and get the same result if you don't care about bluetooth capability.