The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I was quite shocked to read the following from the website of Liberty-Music, the (former?) exclusive Henriksen dealer in Germany:

Peter Henriksen was beaten hard by the sales slowdown due to the pandemic. He had to fire all employees and to move to a smaller place. In moment he is not able to deliver his dealers around the world... ...Peter Henriksen has informed me, that it will last at a minimum till end of August till he will be able to get his business running again.

My respect for Henriksen couldn't be higher, and I'm hoping that somebody in the know denies this or says it's not as bad as it sounds. I put "former" with a question mark because, a few months ago, the same source announced that Henriksen will revert to direct sales only.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, that's unfortunate, and explains things: one of my students ordered a Blu (earlier in the summer) as he was preparing to head out to college ... and he still hasn't received it. Hope Pete turns it around quickly - I like his stuff!

User Info Menu

Considering that hardly any musicians around the globe are playing gigs, not many doing rehearsals or sessions either, it seems logical that many musical instrument companies will face similar predicaments.

Especially if a big percentage of your target group is players that used to play out..

User Info Menu

I wonder if Fender Tonemaster's are also affecting the market shares of the smaller SS manufacturers like Quilter and Henriksen.

User Info Menu

Man, that’s crappy. I attended last year’s Rocky Mountain Archtop Festival. Peter seems like a great guy who is very enthusiastic in his support of jazz music.
    Last edited by wzpgsr; 08-15-2020 at 05:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Peter asked me to post the following on his behalf:

All is fine here at Henriksen, things are going to be slow in the music business for a few years so we proactively downsized our staff and consolidated our operation back to our warehouse. Global supply chains make delivery difficult sometimes but we in NO WAY are taking money for products and not delivering them. Because of the business climate that I see coming for the next few years, I made the decision to sell direct-only. It allows me greater control over the customer experience and is the best way to manage our business and supply chain. I know this hurts some of our former dealers, and we appreciate their business and support over the years, but 2020 and forward if you want a Henriksen Amplifier, you can purchase one directly from me, Peter Henriksen. I build them, I test them, I ship them, and most importantly I guarantee them. You can call me directly or email me any time with any questions, I am very accessible.

Thank you for your support,

Peter Henriksen”

User Info Menu

I feel bad for more unemployed people, nothing can be done i guess, but this is amazing
    there are entire segments of the working world who have been unemployed for many months and now got cut off financially...
    what a depressing situation, I feel terrible for my working musician friends

User Info Menu

Another happy Henriksen customer here. This pandemic has been particularly hard for a niche businesses like Henriksen. I bought my Forte directly from Henriksen at the start of the USA wide shutdown. It took a couple of weeks to get because due to limitations placed on Colorado businesses i.e. only a few people could be in the shop at the time. I had a problem with the first head but Henriksen shipped out a replacement immediately and it has been great. I'm very pleased with my Forte head. Great company and great support. This pandemic has been a real disaster for many small businesses and their employees.

User Info Menu

Great to know he’s still going. It will turn around at some point, hopefully before “years” go by, but that’s a conservative estimate.

User Info Menu

At NAMM, another amp manufacturer told me they were finally in the black after eleven years. "Thanks a lot," I quipped. "You mean I have to struggle another eight years with my cabs? I'll be dead by then."

Seriously, this year is an annus horribilis for much of the music industry, with no end in sight and a dark cloud inside every silver lining. Struggling end markets and age-old institutions, inventory reduction by the trade, plant closures along the supply chain, logistical bottlenecks and gluts, Trump's on-again, off-again trade wars with China...

Fortunately, music is one of the great achievements of mankind and its staying power can be compared to life itself. One silver lining is that creative minds now have more time to create and players to practice. Even if businesses have to take drastic measures to protect themselves, we know that brands persist and will resurrect when the conditions improve. For once, let your GAS loose if you can! And if there are initiatives to provide musical instruments and education to underprivileged children and youngsters, support them if you can!

User Info Menu

I too bought my Henriksen direct from them years ago, and it was delivered to Europe without problems. Payed tax though..

User Info Menu

Peter is a stand up guy just like his dad Bud was.

User Info Menu

I hope Henriksen bounces back in a big way. Peter is a hard worker, and sincere, like his dad Bud before him.
    I wish him the very best as they weather this storm.

User Info Menu

Peter IS a stand up guy!
    I met him at the La Conner Luthier Festival two years running, and spoke with him on the phone. Amazing that you call Henriksen and Peter answers the phone. He says what he means, and means what he says. I hope for business continuity for him and others in his line of work, as well as Archtop builders.

Peace!

User Info Menu

Also, the small music spaces/venues businesses in my city are on the verge of going under for good. People are lobbying to try and save them. But they are getting lost in the overall impact to businesses during the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Considering that hardly any musicians around the globe are playing gigs, not many doing rehearsals or sessions either, it seems logical that many musical instrument companies will face similar predicaments.

Especially if a big percentage of your target group is players that used to play out..

User Info Menu

I also recently purchased a Forte combo direct from Henriksen. Delivery was slightly delayed but it was worth the wait. The Forte is a great sounding and versatile amp.

I check his Facebook site occasionally and note he has chronicled his move. Also, I recall his family had a bout with Covid a few months ago. Despite all he appears to be full of humor and optimism.

AKA

User Info Menu

I'm sorry to hear about Henriksen's troubles. I had heard/read somewhere that they were moving and ignorantly thought they were scaling UP, not down. Anyone think there is any chance they will go under?

I've been thinking about getting a Henriksen Blu for about the past 6 months or so. I finally decided to buy one in May. "12 fret music" in Toronto, Canada had a it on their website advertising the Blu for sale with the price and everything ($1299 Can with free shipping - about $999 US). Turns out they DON'T have any Henriksens and were kind of cagey just saying "we no longer have a dealership agreement".

So why didn't I just buy directly from Henriksen? It is the same price afterall, tax owing would be the same. Shipping would be a bit extra. ... Mainly because (1) I don't want to have to pay the "extras" that all the courier companies seem to (make up and) charge. (I have paid a 1-2 hundred extra for those fees in the past). That and (2) I don't want to have it be a big deal with my wife! Shipping from a local company and I just receive a package - no big deal (and the money is just coming from an instrument I sold a year ago). Receive cross-border and then there will be charges and fees at the door - when she could be answering. "You spent how much on this little thing? I thought you were selling off all your extra instruments" etc.

Wish Henriksen had a sale to tempt me a bit futher.

User Info Menu

I have been shipping my modest products to 16 countries so far. Canada seems to be the only one where various charges are levied at the door, including inland transport from a distribution hub. The time the customs scrutiny and inland stretch from B to C takes is inordinate, compared to what a transatlantic cargo plane needs to get from A to B.

Ironically, the only worse place I know of is my own home country Finland, a.k.a. "Little Canada". When a Brooklyn-based "test pilot" returned a Metro 6.5BG prototype in exchange of the production model, as agreed, it took me a month to produce enough evidence for the customs authorities to prove that this was a product I had actually sold, not purchased, and another two weeks for the Finnish Post to deliver it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by C.P.H.

I've been thinking about getting a Henriksen Blu for about the past 6 months or so. I finally decided to buy one in May. "12 fret music" in Toronto, Canada had a it on their website advertising the Blu for sale with the price and everything ($1299 Can with free shipping - about $999 US). Turns out they DON'T have any Henriksens and were kind of cagey just saying "we no longer have a dealership agreement".

Wish Henriksen had a sale to tempt me a bit futher.
    Consider buying a used one -- they are sometimes listed here, and are listed on Reverb. It's a great amp!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Consider buying a used one -- they are sometimes listed here, and are listed on Reverb. It's a great amp!
    Yeah I have looked into that - saw a couple on eBay I wasn't quick enough with. The whole "extra not-stated-in-advance charges" from couriers for crossing the border would/could be the same though. So for a few bucks less I'd rather have a brand new amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I have been shipping my modest products to 16 countries so far. Canada seems to be the only one where various charges are levied at the door, including inland transport from a distribution hub. The time the customs scrutiny and inland stretch from B to C takes is inordinate, compared to what a transatlantic cargo plane needs to get from A to B.

Yes. This. I lived in Japan for almost 2 decades and the shipping to/from overseas was so much quicker / easier / cheaper than here in Canada. I think a lot of countries subsidize mail service (... because it IS a service and it benefits the economy) but Canada less so. My wife had a web store when we lived in Japan but found it wasn't economical to have one after we moved to Canada due to the much more expensive shipping costs. But my big complaint is with the extra charges couriers charge for crossing the border.A couple years ago I ordered something from a European company. It was only $20 (CDN) plus shipping. DHL charged me another $20 at my door for document processing etc charges. But I had ordered and received the same thing through normal post (and slower of course) previously with no other charges. In Japan I once bought an archtop from the US. It was shipped via FedEx who charged me close to $200 (US) ON TOP OF the shipping cost for something or other. The worst thing in that case was that I really didn't like the guitar and paid to send it back to the seller. (So I paid close to $600 to play a guitar for a couple days!)

Due to free trade agreements anything manufactured in North American can be imported into to another North American country (Can, US, Mexico) duty free. But couriers sill charge customs & duty clearance charges even if something is marked "made in USA". I guess there is something US companies can do (fill out some declaration? do pre-clearance?) because I know some websites mention such under a shipping FAQ. But I'm not sure what it is they do and Henriksen doesn't mention that.

User Info Menu

I have some experience shipping musical instruments to the US. Above a certain value, US Customs wants a bond posted to cover the costs of any taxes and duties that might be payable (although taxes and duties might be extremely unlikely). Someone has to post the bond, do the paperwork, drop off and pick up the instrument and load it onto the truck.

User Info Menu

I just received a parcel sent by DHL from the UK. Yup, DHL slapped on an extra $20 processing fee. Something about paying upfront for duties and tax on behalf of recipient.

UPS charged me an extra $60 processing fees for a parcel from The Netherlands and I had to pick it up meself from UPS instead of having it delivered. No, man, it is not hashish...

I had wanted to order 150 picks from Japan yesterday. Japan Post EMS is on hiatus. DHL was suggested. But that extra $20 fee on an $80 parcel coupled with a $20 DHL delivery fee makes it all untenable.