The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 74 of 74

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Joe:
    I wouldn’t give it a second thought. I can’t imagine a situation where the original tailpiece would have been removed and replaced with a fake on a relatively recent L5 Wes. I have never seen an L5 tailpiece break, because they are made in one piece, without a hinge. ...
    Keith: A first time for everything, eh? To quote the Immortal Bart, "I didn't do it."
    Attached Images Attached Images Wes Montgomery "L5" Tailpiece Insignia-gib-l5-tp-broken-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 08-14-2020 at 11:16 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FredH
    Hi Joe
    Congrats on the new addition to your guitar family. The Wes Mo is a great guitar. I have often wondered how they compare to the L5 CES, but not going to risk marital discord to find out. Well, at least not anytime soon.

My 98 Wes Mo has the L5 imprint on the tailpiece, like most I have seen. It does not have his name engraved on the medallion insert. My medallion is blank, like some I have seen. The orange sticker indicates it is the Wes Montgomery model. The entire tailpiece is a bit tarnished, like the pickup. Traces of the gold remain. I have come to expect that with Gibson guitars. My two Johnny Smiths from 74 and 81 respectively are the same.

Play it in good health.
    Hi Fred. That’s good to know.
    As far as the gold, some tarnish and some don’t. My mid 70’s JS had plating that looked like it was brand new. My 04 165 same thing. This one, not so. All good.
    Thank you. JD

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Fred I would be interested in your comparison of your 2 Smiths. That would be insightful.
    I’d like to hear that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by FredH
    Mark:

I will PM with a comparison of two Johnnies. Be happy to do it. I don't wont to detract from this thread and all the really great advice Joe has received.
    No no no Fred, please post it. I’d love hear it myself.
    JD

User Info Menu

Here's advice from someone who's gone down many rabbit holes getting guitars exactly right: don't worry too much about the tailpiece. The guitar doesn't care. Your right hand doesn't care. Your amp doesn't care. Your ears don't care. 99% of human beings have no idea what you are talking about.

If you are looking for perfection, your sound on that instrument is heavenly. You won't find better on this planet.

You are almost as restless as me. It's a curse. It's a barrier to your art.

Love your music, not the instrument. Grow old together with both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Here's advice from someone who's gone down many rabbit holes getting guitars exactly right: don't worry too much about the tailpiece. The guitar doesn't care. Your right hand doesn't care. Your amp doesn't care. Your ears don't care. 99% of human beings have no idea what you are talking about.

If you are looking for perfection, your sound on that instrument is heavenly. You won't find better on this planet.

JD, this is seriously good advice. If only we could follow it!

User Info Menu

Hey Joe!

A certain Gibson is complaining to me about having a plastic insignia labelled “Johnny Smith” inserted into its tailpiece.

...Plastic! The Horror!

Mauibob

User Info Menu

Thanks for taking the time MG.
    I agree with every word you said. I sometimes don’t think of myself as a artist. I’m more of a copycat. “Man, he can do that, I wish I can too. I’m gonna try it”. Doing what I do is no different than putting a piece of furniture together that you buy from IKEA.
    My point is, it think the art part is in the beauty of that instrument. I want to make it perfect. Keep it perfect. It no different than having a Rembrandt on my wall. The art is the guitar to me.
    When I was little the most expensive thing in my house (by far) was my fathers 175. He didn’t let me near it. I guess the NUT didn’t fall far from the tree in that respect!
    Thanks MG. You always put it right.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mauibob
    Hey Joe!
    A certain Gibson is complaining to me about having a plastic insignia labelled “Johnny Smith” inserted into its tailpiece.
    ...Plastic! The Horror!
    Mauibob
    Bob, so good to hear from you. I’ll admit.. I always thought that piece of plastic didn’t go.. But think about it unlike your guitar (which is perfect,) most other deteriorating Smiths still display the kings name as it was displayed from day 1. Not a bad choice of materials after all!
    Enjoy buddy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful statement to live by.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I agree with every word you said. I sometimes don’t think of myself as a artist. I’m more of a copycat. “Man, he can do that, I wish I can too. I’m gonna try it”. Doing what I do is no different than putting a piece of furniture together that you buy from IKEA.
    JD
    I believe you are well beyond that.

I am no master of Taekwondo by any stretch. But I did practice that discipline. Our master never once said we need a new or better karategi (uniform) or nunchucks. It was all about practice until it was like watching ourselves with detachment, until it required very little thought and seemed natural. He would tell us the mind is the source of doubt, fear and failure. This may be relevant to guitar playing.

I boxed a little years ago. When it got down to work, it was the same except it hurt more!

I agree that the guitar can be a beautiful instrument unlike a pair of gloves hanging on the wall. Maybe the discipline is to appreciate the rich beauty of what you have and not lust for what you don't.

But pardon my hypocrisy. I have been re-seduced by a couple of my old guitars and will be getting them back soon. That's dumber than looking for new ones.

User Info Menu

My point is, it think the art part is in the beauty of that instrument. I want to make it perfect. Keep it perfect. It no different than having a Rembrandt on my wall. The art is the guitar to me.
    When I was little the most expensive thing in my house (by far) was my fathers 175. He didn’t let me near it. I guess the NUT didn’t fall far from the tree in that respect!
    Thanks MG. You always put it right.
    JD
    Joe
    I rarely ever disagree with you... but dude, what you do is NOT analogous to assembling IKEA stuff. Their stuff is ugly. Your playing is beautiful. Their stuff is merely utilitarian. Your playing is something that makes it worth it to have other stuff. And if it were really that easy, we'd all be pounding out Joe Pass and Johnny Smith arrangements all day long. No, it takes a very special heart, a very distinctive talent, and a lot of empathy to do the things you do.

Definitely not IKEA. You're a keeper of the treasures of our music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Keith: A first time for everything, eh? To quote the Immortal Bart, "I didn't do it."
    Yes, that’s a first for me. Maybe someone ran over it with a truck.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Having an “L5” symbol etched into ones tailpiece won’t make you play any better. It’s only your mind playing tricks with you. Free yourself, free your mind. Let it go.

User Info Menu

i support whatever you do with that guitar Joe D...i get it when something isn't right..it can mess things up..and playing guitar is all about mind!!

luck pal

cheers

User Info Menu

Yes, that’s a first for me. Maybe someone ran over it with a truck.
    Keith
    actually took the strings off, tipped the guitar over and that was it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe
    I rarely ever disagree with you... but dude, what you do is NOT analogous to assembling IKEA stuff. Their stuff is ugly. Your playing is beautiful. Their stuff is merely utilitarian. Your playing is something that makes it worth it to have other stuff. And if it were really that easy, we'd all be pounding out Joe Pass and Johnny Smith arrangements all day long. No, it takes a very special heart, a very distinctive talent, and a lot of empathy to do the things you do.
    Definitely not IKEA. You're a keeper of the treasures of our music.
    Thanks Lawson. I really appreciate what you say.
    You are a credit to the forum. And a really good guy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    i support whatever you do with that guitar Joe D...i get it when something isn't right..it can mess things up..and playing guitar is all about mind!!
    luck pal
    cheers
    In due time, I will dress her up like she deserves.
    I love this guitar.
    JD

User Info Menu

In due time, I will dress her up like she deserves.
    I love this guitar.
    JD
    No lingerie, please.

User Info Menu

Yeah, going commando is the best way to dress.

User Info Menu

No lingerie, please.
    Why do you have to go plant that image in me head? Oh my! My L5 in a diaphanous-a word I reserve for this occasion-black negligée...

Is there a doctor in the house?

User Info Menu

I’m more of a copycat. “Man, he can do that, I wish I can too. I’m gonna try it”. Doing what I do is no different than putting a piece of furniture together that you buy from IKEA.
    Joey, my buddy, what you are complaining to be is the perfect way to become an accomplished artist. Copy as much as you can, steal from other guys and give it back in your own (sweet) way.

I know what it is to be a perfectionist. It drives you almost mad when it becomes an obsession. So please, try to be kind with yourself and appreciate what you do in music. We are truly enjoying your videos because they bring beauty and piece in this world. When I hear you playing, I never see a guy who is putting things together. I hear an accomplished player delivering his own version of a tune.

User Info Menu

Hi Fred,
    Thank you for the beautiful things you say.
    Its an honor to know you.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    actually took the strings off, tipped the guitar over and that was it!
    Wow! I guess they can break more easily than I had thought.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Wow! I guess they can break more easily than I had thought.
    Keith
    Actually, I think someone tried really hard to break that thing - they are pretty tough. Maybe the guy used it as a handy carrying handle or coathook when it had no strings on it, or something like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Actually, I think someone tried really hard to break that thing - they are pretty tough. Maybe the guy used it as a handy carrying handle or coathook when it had no strings on it, or something like that.
    You might be surprised. The tailpiece is pretty heavy at the top and the bend is a weak point. I was pretty shocked that it could happen so easily.