The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

...Knowing it'd almost always be banging around only at home, is there a no-brainer / best bang for the buck choice ?
    I can see a Fishman or Barbera bridge model, and I am pretty sure my luthier has done Fishmans, but just wondering if there's a least headache / best reasonable sound choice ? I wouldn't mind a clip-on mic at all, but it'd just have to be pretty much clip-and-play out of the box.
    It'd be for my '52 L-7 C. fwiw.

Thx for any and all suggestions.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would go here for what I would put at the top of bang for buck. I love the vintage DeArmonds, but these are pretty good.

Guild DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 Pickup - Nickel | Guild Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I would go here for what I would put at the top of bang for buck. I love the vintage DeArmonds, but these are pretty good. ...
    I mounted a reissue 1100 on a Gibson L-7 and am quite happy with it. The magnets and coils are quite different between the two models. I haven’t had an opportunity to play both, but I believe they have somewhat different voices. I wanted adjustable pole pieces to be certain I could get string-to-string balance with a variety of string gauges and materials. Unfortunately the price has gone way up from when these were first released. They were $130 in 2015, $190 in 2020! I found one at a local store that still had old stock marked at the original price, so if you decide on a reissue DeArmond try calling around for prices.
    Guild DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1100 Pickup - Gold | Guild Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I would go here for what I would put at the top of bang for buck. I love the vintage DeArmonds, but these are pretty good.

Guild DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 Pickup - Nickel | Guild Guitars
    That's what I have on my Harmony archie. Very minimal modification--just 2 tiny holes for the rod, then a replacement endpin for a 1/8" jack.

Vintage Jack | K&K Sound

User Info Menu

I tried all kinds of pickups for acoustic archtops and found something I didn't like with all of them. I finally settled on mounting a DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 on my Godin 5th Avenue. When I had an Epiphone Zenith, I used a detachable vintage DeArmond Guitar Mic when I wanted to plug in. The DeArmonds sound a little electric--which isn't all bad for jazz--but at least they picked up 80/20 bronze acoustic strings just fine and I could use the guitars as acoustics most of the time.

User Info Menu

I would like to recommend the dpa 4099 but the cost of it might be over the top for some. Thomann has a the t.bone Ovid 100CC which is 10% the cost of the dpa 4099.

The dpa 4099G requires a gooseneck extension to make it position where you want it. I am not sure if there is one for the t.bone Ovid 100CC. I am sure Amazon has the t.bone under different labels.

Morten Farestrand has a good demo of the t.bone on Youtube. I think it is amazing value for money. Use the other 90% saved on a Grace Alix or SunnAudio acoustic preamp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I would like to recommend the dpa 4099 but the cost of it might be over the top for some. Thomann has a the t.bone Ovid 100CC which is 10% the cost of the dpa 4099.

The dpa 4099G requires a gooseneck extension to make it position where you want it. I am not sure if there is one for the t.bone Ovid 100CC. I am sure Amazon has the t.bone under different labels.

Morten Farestrand has a good demo of the t.bone on Youtube. I think it is amazing value for money. Use the other 90% saved on a Grace Alix or SunnAudio acoustic preamp.
    This version of the Ovid comes with a gooseneck and a clamp that goes on the body of the guitar.

the t.bone Ovid System Guitar Bundle – Thomann United States

User Info Menu

Dennis the Barbara that I heard gave me the impression, -- that is all you would ever need. And you can still pre-amp it.
    They are not cheap. But to me they are a cut above.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Dennis the Barbara that I heard gave me the impression, -- that is all you would ever need. And you can still pre-amp it.
    They are not cheap. But to me they are a cut above.
    JD

Thx Joe

I already have sent the dimensions to Rich Barbera, but I can see where not being closer may be a disadvantage. That way I could drop it off. Or I was thinking worst case I could just mail him the bridge saddle.
    Either way, of course I trust your ear !!

Dennis

User Info Menu

This is the extension that Maestro Paco Peña demonstrates.

User Info Menu

Aha this one again!

my answer currently is - neither.

get the Krivo micro Manouche which is the most acoustic sounding magnetic pickup I’ve used, fits on any archtop, and sits on the top of the guitar allowing it to pickup the resonance of the instrument. Also you are free to fit or remove it whenever you want.

here is what it sounds like di with no funny stuff

it sounds great for rhythm too

User Info Menu

Some just mic it, and that’s the best option where available if you want a real acoustic tone. But rooms and engineers vary... also, drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Thx Joe

I already have sent the dimensions to Rich Barbera, but I can see where not being closer may be a disadvantage. That way I could drop it off. Or I was thinking worst case I could just mail him the bridge saddle.
    Either way, of course I trust your ear !!

Dennis
    Hi Dennis,
    If I remember correctly, Rich is very particular on how the pickup should be built into the saddle. He uses a local guy here in NJ who will build it into a saddle. Logically, I think all you would have to do it is give him the dimensions, just like you did. String spacing, post spacing, Saddle height. I wouldnt send him the guitar. It will just sit on a shelf for weeks. That's why I didn't buy one. The guy who builds them into the bridge was kind of inflexible. Rich on the other hand, is a really nice guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi Dennis,
    If I remember correctly, Rich is very particular on how the pickup should be built into the saddle. He uses a local guy here in NJ who will build it into a saddle. Logically, I think all you would have to do it is give him the dimensions, just like you did. String spacing, post spacing, Saddle height. I wouldnt send him the guitar. It will just sit on a shelf for weeks. That's why I didn't buy one. The guy who builds them into the bridge was kind of inflexible. Rich on the other hand, is a really nice guy.

Joe, I couldn't take the dimensions he needed because I don't know how to use a caliper. So had to I get my neighbor to take the measurements, which we did, and which I sent to him. We were able to get accurate to thousandths, which to me seems pretty needless.
    I meant maybe just sending Rich the bridge saddle.
    But I see those replacement rosewood and ivory bridges for sale all the time on AllParts and Stewmac etc, and they're available worldwide, made to fit and they do. So I really wonder why someone would expect dimensions that accurate when Gibson and 99.9% of most other footed bridge saddles are identical.
    Haven't heard back yet.

Thx.

User Info Menu

I also want to recommend the beforementioned tbone Ovid DPA clone. Been using mine for several years and I'm totally satisfied.

This is a short except from a CD i produced with my Band. Solo guitar is my eastman mic'ed with the Ovid straight into the interface without any effects. I can live with that tone.

Paul

User Info Menu

One thing to be wary of using clip on mics--they do feedback easily. If you have the luxury of always playing in a nice, quiet hall with sound checks, or for recording, they're probably great. For gigs like restaurants, bars, and wineries with crowd noise and expectations of set up and play, they unacceptably howl like banshees.

User Info Menu

Guessing you want a pure acoustic tone so regular electric pickups are not what you're looking for. Also guessing you have something to amplify it with that will handle acoustic tone. Acoustic instruments don't sound that great when limited by the frequency spectrum of a regular guitar amp. That and while I don't have one seems I recall that with a DPA 4099 you'll be wanting something that provides phantom power.

So.. sure. Mic's are great. They're a hassle and finicky and if it's just for home you could just keep a decent small condenser on a boom set up somewhere. But lots of folks like the DPA 4099 and I think I'll look into the alternative mentioned because.. why not. It's gear.

Still.. if it were me and using current tech a mic alternative would be to go with the Fishman piezo bridge, which doesn't sound all that great by itself, then run it through an Audio Sprockets ToneDexter to retrieve the acoustic tone. This is a common setup on flat tops and has a very good reputation for recreating the sound of your guitar. The ToneDexter isn't a bad preamp overall either with direct outs, low cut, and basic EQ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo
    One thing to be wary of using clip on mics--they do feedback easily. If you have the luxury of always playing in a nice, quiet hall with sound checks, or for recording, they're probably great. For gigs like restaurants, bars, and wineries with crowd noise and expectations of set up and play, they unacceptably howl like banshees.

It'd never see a gig - it's just be me playing at home.....I'd hope for something easy...So maybe that t.bone Ovid is what I may try......it'll either get me into or out of amplifying this guitar.....

Thanks.

User Info Menu

I also like the DeArmond 1100 Rhythm Chief. It doesn't really sound acoustic, but it does sound really good to me. You can use BluTack to mount it to the guitar top, easily removable if you want. You can put thumbwheel controls under the pickguard or inside the f hole. For an output jack you can put it under the pickguard or use an endpin jack. Whit Smith uses that setup, or did. On his recent videos he has removed the pickup, but you can still see traces of BluTack that he didn't bother to clean up.

User Info Menu

...Knowing it'd almost always be banging around only at home, is there a no-brainer / best bang for the buck choice ?
    I can see a Fishman or Barbera bridge model, and I am pretty sure my luthier has done Fishmans, but just wondering if there's a least headache / best reasonable sound choice ? I wouldn't mind a clip-on mic at all, but it'd just have to be pretty much clip-and-play out of the box.
    It'd be for my '52 L-7 C. fwiw.

Thx for any and all suggestions.
    Before I join the chorus of people suggesting something like a DPA4099... the real question is... why? What are you looking to achieve?
    If you want to play "electric guitar" through an amp - yeah, floater is the way to go. Reissue Dearmonds are cheap and easy, and sound more or less like the originals. Boom.

But if you want "acoustic guitar but louder"... well I still wonder, "Why?". Are you looking to play outdoors and have the sound carry a bit more?

User Info Menu

If I'm playing at home and I need the acoustic sound louder I simply turn up my hearing aids...

one advantage of being an old fart..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Before I join the chorus of people suggesting something like a DPA4099... the real question is... why? What are you looking to achieve?
    If you want to play "electric guitar" through an amp - yeah, floater is the way to go. Reissue Dearmonds are cheap and easy, and sound more or less like the originals. Boom.

But if you want "acoustic guitar but louder"... well I still wonder, "Why?". Are you looking to play outdoors and have the sound carry a bit more?
    Hi Jonathan
    Hope things are ok.
    Here's why I am knocking this around - -and asked for ideas here of course.
    My only other elec. is a WesMo. I'll never be on a gig, and thus never take that guitar too far from home. But if I ever wanted to have an amplifiable guitar to take anywhere, all I have is this ' 52 acoustic -and 2 other acoustics.
    Or for just plugging in to play around the house, what could be done, without going through a bunch of motions ? I have an excellent luthier and he mentioned the Fishmans, but I am confident he could do whatever needed doing.
    Thanks Jonathan.
    Dennis

User Info Menu

Hi Jonathan
    Hope things are ok.
    Here's why I am knocking this around - -and asked for ideas here of course.
    My only other elec. is a WesMo. I'll never be on a gig, and thus never take that guitar too far from home. But if I ever wanted to have an amplifiable guitar to take anywhere, all I have is this ' 52 acoustic -and 2 other acoustics.
    Or for just plugging in to play around the house, what could be done, without going through a bunch of motions ? I have an excellent luthier and he mentioned the Fishmans, but I am confident he could do whatever needed doing.
    Thanks Jonathan.
    Dennis
    For a magnetic pickup, I think there's an advantage to having the pickup as close to the fingerboard (or where the 24th fret would be) as possible. Mellower sound.

The D'Armonds may not fit under the strings at that point. If not, there are thinner pickups which might be a good choice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    For a magnetic pickup, I think there's an advantage to having the pickup as close to the fingerboard (or where the 24th fret would be) as possible. Mellower sound.

The D'Armonds may not fit under the strings at that point. If not, there are thinner pickups which might be a good choice.
    I am always afraid of that - -I've 'always picked up there' and ideally always need a space between the p/u and fb and obviously the strings.

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention the Bartlett Audio Guitar Mike B that takes a 9V battery:

Bartlett Guitar Mic B - Bartlett Audio