The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I'm gonna need to use my amp several times in the next few months for outdoor playing. No power source available. I want to avoid having to buy a busking amp as I don't need another amp. I'll be using my Champ (5 watts) as I don't need to be too loud. I need batteries to last at least 2 hours. Champ is not a powerful amp but I bet it's as inefficient as amps get.

Are there viable battery options? What do I need?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been using this with great results. Through a 4-hr big band gig with a Quilter amp and pedals, it barely cracked the meter. And NO noise. Cannot say how it would power a tube amp.

I've posted about it here before but now can't find that.

Sorry! Something went wrong!
    Beaudens B-1502 166Wh Portable power generator-US - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
    Smart Home Devices, Car Accessories and Home&Garden Tools | BEAUDENS
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 08-12-2020 at 10:55 AM.

User Info Menu

For AC power you need a small inverter and a 12 volt battery, maybe a deep cycle marine or solar battery. The benefit of the inverter route is you can up the battery size or lower the inverter wattage as needed.

The good thing about the Beaudens is it's in one package, and if you were playing outside you could seamlessly connect a solar panel to it to extend playing time almost indefinitely. Technically ANY mobile power setup with an inverter and battery can also supplement and extend available power with a solar cell. A good idea playing outdoors from afternoon to past dusk.

Anyway, I've used the battery below (35AH) with a 1000 watt inverter (my inverter is overkill) for my little Fender Champion 30 for an hour or so and didn't dent the charge.

12 Volt, 35 Amp Hour Sealed Lead Acid Battery

User Info Menu

important
    note
    check the max current draw of your amp ...
    and that it doesn’t exceed what the battery/inverter will provide

Yeah matching wattage requirement is important. Champ's power requirement is 60 Watts according to the manual.
    AC power banks are relative rare birds. A lot of them are listed as out of stock or do not ship to Canada (Beaudens). 12 volt battery + inverter seem to be more accessible.

Are acid batteries better for this purpose than lithium ones? Sorry I don't know much about batteries.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Yeah matching wattage requirement is important. Champ's power requirement is 60 Watts according to the manual.
    AC power banks are relative rare birds. A lot of them are listed as out of stock or do not ship to Canada (Beaudens). 12 volt battery + inverter seem to be more accessible.

Are acid batteries better for this purpose than lithium ones? Sorry I don't know much about batteries.
    IMO, an AGM lead acid chemistry with deep cycle properties is good for transportable uses. They do not need "topping" off or adding water, and will survive discharging below 50% SOC. Lithium OTOH are likely lighter, can be discharged lower, and cost more. Also a charger with Lithium chemistry profiles may be needed.

I'm pretty heavily into solar power, my whole yard has lighting, water features, USB chargers, and DC fans and so far I've been satisfied with marine and solar batteries.

I haven't powered a tube amp with my rig yet, I just may one day.

Words of advice, most inverters provide a stepped AC voltage called modified sine wave and are inexpensive. True sine wave inverters are more expensive and much better for zero noise influence / emissions to electronics. If you can try a rig before committing to buy it's a good idea.

Another idea is to try one of the emergency car starter appliance thingies. They come with inverters in various wattags.

User Info Menu

Fender Champ is a Class A amplifier. Means it will draw close to full power all the time. If you go by the 60 watts that would be about .5 amps. So to run an hour you would drain a battery/inverter (we're talking AC 120V here) at the rate of .5 amps per hour. Or you could look at it as watts and say you need 60 watts per hour.

The last battery I bought is 288 watt hours. So dividing 288 by 60 would give you just over 4 hours of play time. Theoretically. Battery/inverter may peter out early. Amplifier may draw less than stated. But that's the ball park you're in. Note that Class D amplifiers are different and draw very little power so when you see people running 16 hours on a battery/inverter, they are not running Fender Class A amps. Also, stay away from lead acid batteries. Dangerous old tech not nearly as good or light or safe as a current lithium battery/inverter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I've been using this with great results. Through a 4-hr big band gig with a Quilter amp and pedals, it barely cracked the meter. And NO noise. Cannot say how it would power a tube amp.

That sounds really cool. I am trying talk myself into a small battery amp for jam sessions, but this might be a good idea. Though that would mean 2 boxes instead of just one.

Ironically I have a Pignose which I put into an old radio cabinet--looks super cool, but the battery part doesn't work, plug-in only. (Yes I know they are not ideal jazz amps, but with a little playing around they can produce a decent sound at low volumes.)

User Info Menu

Your best bet is a good old pure sine wave 1100W Honda eu1000i petrol power generator if you need to run it for two hours or longer.

Honda Generators: Portable Generator Power for Home, Work, and Play

Battery to power an amp-eu1000ikn_pe_img350-jpg

User Info Menu

Flashfish is a model, or brand, of battery that was recommended by an amp maker.

I've never used it, but it looks good. Amazon has it, but the link didn't work.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 08-12-2020 at 10:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410

>>SNIP<<
    Also, stay away from lead acid batteries. Dangerous old tech not nearly as good or light or safe as a current lithium battery/inverter.
    AGM / SLA batteries are unsafe? How so? Or do you mean FLA or Flooded lead acid? Hundreds of thousands of boats, and many more motorcycles have AGM and as a matter of fact, some reservoir systems in the U.S can only have AGM / SLA batteries aboard.

From Battery University:

AGM technology became popular in the early 1980s as a sealed lead acid battery for military aircraft, vehicles and UPS to reduce weight and improve reliability. The sulfuric acid is absorbed by a very fine fiberglass mat, making the battery spill-proof. This enables shipment without hazardous material restrictions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    AGM / SLA batteries are unsafe? How so? Or do you mean FLA or Flooded lead acid? Hundreds of thousands of boats, and many more motorcycles have AGM and as a matter of fact, some reservoir systems in the U.S can only have AGM / SLA batteries aboard.

From Battery University:

AGM technology became popular in the early 1980s as a sealed lead acid battery for military aircraft, vehicles and UPS to reduce weight and improve reliability. The sulfuric acid is absorbed by a very fine fiberglass mat, making the battery spill-proof. This enables shipment without hazardous material restrictions.

Hundreds of thousands of something is not an endorsement for safety. There were millions of oil lamps.

Didn't look this up so I'm sure there are additional details I'm not considering. But just from owning a car and jumper cables: You have concern yourself with the proper venting of poisonous gases (sulfuric acid based I think). And you must avoiding shorting them which can causing fires. An internal short can also cause fires and poisonous gas emissions. To be used with an amp you have to hook up a proper inverter. Another opportunity to screw up.

With a lithium inverter you plug in an AC cord.

So why would anyone in 2020 consider 50 pounds of lead acid batteries over 5 pounds of lithium inverter?

It seems like lead acid batteries are quite a bit cheaper for the same amount of power supply. They are also more readily available. Most hardware stores carry them. I never used them before outside of as batteries for cars and motorcycles.

Based on my research so far they are heavier, they may require maintenance, won't last as long and they need to be kept charged etc. So yeah lithiums are clearly better but then again lead acid ones are cheaper. So there will be market for them until the more convenient alternatives come down in price I guess.

User Info Menu

Power spikes from generators can be nasty.

ive seen one make a AI Clarus burst into flame and the total a PA rig.... My AER was fine thankfully just a blown fuse.

Most affordable, highly rated lithium power station seems to be this (also mentioned in a post above):

It's got nice features and accepts solar panel input.

Working time with this battery for your device is:
    Working time = 160Wh* 0.85 / [operating power of your device]

With Champ at full power that means 2 hours 15 mins.

This too (this one is also suggested in a previous post) :

User Info Menu

You might as well use lead acid batteries with your Champ. That way you're using the oldest technology for everything.
    Yes, lithium costs a little more. But it's a fraction of the weight and size. The Beaudens looks big in the photos, but it's actually very small - check the dimensions. I bought one to have some reserve after hurricanes, which are all too frequent down here. We were without electricity for two weeks after one a few years back. This thing won't power my entire home, but it will keep communications going, and can easily be carried along if evacuation is necessary. It also powers my solid state amps all day, as a side benefit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    It seems like lead acid batteries are quite a bit cheaper for the same amount of power supply. T...

Did you include the price of the AC inverter and connection/transport bits?

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Did you include the price of the AC inverter and connection/transport bits?
    I did, but yes if you get quality parts, the cost comes close. With the lead battery and inverter option, you get more products and price points to choose from.The lithium batteries have more limited models in the 100-200$ range and they don't have as much wattage supply as the cheaper lead acid batteries (in that price range). I'm tempted by the convenience of the lithium batteries however.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

I'm wanting to power a Quilter MicroPro and it says on the back 110-240v~250w 50/60hz. The Beaudens B-1502 says it's 110v/150w. With my very uneducated look at this, it seems the Beaudens doesn't have the power needed to run a MicroPro. Which Quilter amp are you running?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I'm wanting to power a Quilter MicroPro and it says on the back 110-240v~250w 50/60hz. The Beaudens B-1502 says it's 110v/150w. With my very uneducated look at this, it seems the Beaudens doesn't have the power needed to run a MicroPro. Which Quilter amp are you running?
    Ah, you may be right, but I had been running the battery into a Quilter Aviator with no problem, wonderful. Now when I try it into my MicroPro there is a slight buzz/hum. I could swear it worked great with the MP before. There's still plenty of power, but now a little bit of noise. Thanks for pointing that out. The Aviator is gone now, so I really can't compare the sound or the specs. Although, it seems like I'm having a grounding problem. When I touch the plug on the guitar, all the noise goes away. Been out of action for a while because of covid. It would be interesting to see if the Aviator and MP specs are different. Then I'd know if it's something in my house now. I'll have to do some further testing with all of my SS amps. Will try more later this weekend.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-20-2022 at 04:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I just looked at both the Aviator and the MicroPro manuals and this part of the back panels are identical for both amps:
    Attached Images Attached Images Battery to power an amp-quilter-aviator-power-jpg 

Eleffer Guest
    As you're looking for a charger that should last at least 2 hours, so I wanna suggest you a battery that will last at least 8 hours, surprised?? I was also surprised when I used ebl batteries and chargers for the first time. Moreover, 3000mWh large capacity and 1.5v constant current makes EBL li-on battery lasting longer in your devices, perfect for most high-power demand device, such as cameras, flashlights, toys, electric shavers and more. Their interesting part is intelligent safety chip that protects the lithium core from over-charge, over-discharge, over-temperature, and short circuit. Optimized structure and anti-leak sealing ring, double protect your batteries and devices, more safety. So, I will recommend you to go for ebl aa/aaa li-ion battery It's my recommendation based on my experience. Thank you!

Eleffer Guest
    As you're looking for a charger that should last at least 2 hours, so I wanna suggest you a battery that will last at least 8 hours, surprised?? I was also surprised when I used ebl batteries and chargers for the first time. Moreover, 3000mWh large capacity and 1.5v constant current makes EBL li-on battery lasting longer in your devices, perfect for most high-power demand device, such as cameras, flashlights, toys, electric shavers and more. Their interesting part is intelligent safety chip that protects the lithium core from over-charge, over-discharge, over-temperature, and short circuit. Optimized structure and anti-leak sealing ring, double protect your batteries and devices, more safety. So, I will recommend you to go for ebl aa/aaa li-ion battery. It's my recommendation based on my experience. Thank you!