Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I had jury duty today, but luckily didn't have to go, so I walked in the heat over to Rudy's music... they had some nice stuff
    I tried the new Comins GCS16 and a couple of Eastmans, the Comins was very well made, but I prefer the GCS1 somehow
    the Eastman 805ce they had was really very nice, I was impressed, and the neck was nice and full, sounded great unplugged and plugged in
    i liked that the floating pickup didn't have intense microphonics when you thump it a bit... that was definitely the guitar I would have bought, I forgot the other Eastman model, i think 803, it was nice too, but the 805ce may be in my future

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2
    Guitar trying AND a pass on jury duty? Now that's a good day!
    I had an Eastman 7 string. An instrument that didn't want to be put down, it just sounded so good. They're all hand built but they also have an uncanny consistency about them. Quality stuff. I put a (Duncan) Benedetto pickup on mine replacing the Asian Armstrong and it gained another level of subtlety.
    Hope you find yours.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Guitar trying AND a pass on jury duty? Now that's a good day!
    Awesome.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I am playing now on an Eastman carved top and it's fabulous. Wonderful neck and tone.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Guitar trying AND a pass on jury duty? Now that's a good day!
    I had an Eastman 7 string. An instrument that didn't want to be put down, it just sounded so good. They're all hand built but they also have an uncanny consistency about them. Quality stuff. I put a (Duncan) Benedetto pickup on mine replacing the Asian Armstrong and it gained another level of subtlety.
    Hope you find yours.
    Well, they shouldn't be having jury duty, it was a long subway ride, but Rudy's is great, and so is the staff, letting me sweat all over their guitars
    it seems there is an 805ce not super far from here for $1000 used hmmmm

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    Well, they shouldn't be having jury duty, it was a long subway ride, but Rudy's is great, and so is the staff, letting me sweat all over their guitars
    it seems there is an 805ce not super far from here for $1000 used hmmmm
    Of course I had to do a quick search of the model and pricing and $1000 may be a nice price if Reverb is any indication. Looks like a cool model. I have a few of their acoustics and am very happy with them.

  8. #7
    $2400 new so it's a good price

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    If it’s in good shape, $1000 is a great price. I love my 810CE. The 805CE has a smaller lower bout (16”) but a deeper body. That changes the voice a bit, but both are very nice guitars.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    $2400 new so it's a good price
    We all know why they put Asian pickups on these but for that sort of money WT????

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    I have two Eastmans: a 910CE custom blond with a 12 pole hand-wound Armstrong and a 610CE mahogany in the violin finish with a 6 pole hand-wound Armstrong. They are each delightful in their own singular ways, bright clarity vs dark and rich. Fabulous necks and playability. When these things came into my life I lost all interest in other instruments.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    I must be the only one who WANTS to serve on a jury, at least one time.

    Eastman makes great guitars. I almost bought an Eastman acoustic, and maybe I should have because it’s a known commodity. Instead I commissioned a custom build from a small luthier because I want to support small businesses through this pandemic, and because my left shoulder injury history means it’s easier to play on a 12-fret traditional guitar, and Eastman doesn’t have a 12-fret dreadnought. He hasn’t began the custom build yet, but should start soon.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Serving jury duty isn't as much fun as one might think. One of the bennies of being old is that I no longer have to serve. After I declined a couple because of my age they apparently stopped sending me any jury summons.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    I think Eastman has continued to get better and better. I have an E6OM acoustic that is a really nice guitar and recently bought a T64V that is really great. I was skeptical about their archtops in the early years but I have seen and played some very nice ones in the past few years. I’m pretty set on archtops but if I was in the market for one I’d definitely consider Eastman.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    I'd like to do jury duty too. I was called once and I had to beg off due to it falling in a big release crunch at work. Now that that is no longer an issue I'm looking forward to the call...

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by guido5 View Post
    I'd like to do jury duty too. I was called once and I had to beg off due to it falling in a big release crunch at work. Now that that is no longer an issue I'm looking forward to the call...
    If you were not allowed to work because of covid19, would you still want to sit inside a room full of people, to do jury duty? To me it's ridiculous that NYC can't have restaurants open, but you can go indoors in a room full of other people in so many other ways... it's just garbage, how dare you not let me work, have me make 1/4 of my wage, and then ask me to do my 'civic duty' putting myself at risk... this city is a mess

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Once Eastman got their QA/QC act together (around 2005/2006) the 805CE emerged as a remarkable instrument. Not wide, but deep and remarkably full and articulate. I know some love changing PU’s but mine has the original black Asian-made PU and I cannot find anything wrong with it that can not be tweaked with a tone control.

    I did get rid of the Jinho tuners in favor of some (Asian made for many decades) Grovers.

    But that was only because I had the grovers in a box of parts and had some nice ebony buttons for them as well.

    I think Eastman has long since moved away from the Jinho tuners, which looked lumpy but seemed to work just fine.

    Anyway, in the constellation of arch tops out there, the 805CE is one of the notable sweet spots. I hope you find one at your price.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker View Post
    Once Eastman got their QA/QC act together (around 2005/2006) the 805CE emerged as a remarkable instrument. Not wide, but deep and remarkably full and articulate. I know some love changing PU’s but mine has the original black Asian-made PU and I cannot find anything wrong with it that can not be tweaked with a tone control.

    I did get rid of the Jinho tuners in favor of some (Asian made for many decades) Grovers.

    But that was only because I had the grovers in a box of parts and had some nice ebony buttons for them as well.

    I think Eastman has long since moved away from the Jinho tuners, which looked lumpy but seemed to work just fine.

    Anyway, in the constellation of arch tops out there, the 805CE is one of the notable sweet spots. I hope you find one at your price.
    Yes, prior to 2005 Eastman guitars in my experience were very inconsistent. Around that time my understanding is that Mark Lacey (could be incorrect about that) was brought in to consult and QC went way up. I followed them at NAMM starting in the early 2000's and the improvement was remarkable.
    I bought a Eastman John Pisano 880 (solid spruce top, set in pickup, maple back/sides) brand new in 2005. I've used it on hundreds of gigs since then it's a great instrument. My working guitar is a 1990 Benedetto Cremona, however there are gigs that guitar isn't appropriate for, so the Pisano gets the call. It has a very comfortable neck profile, 1 3/4 nut and 25" scale.

    I applaud Eastman for offering both traditional Archtop builds and different builds such as the Pagelli and Thorell designs. Happy hunting!

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Eastmans are very well made, consistent and underappreciated.

    As far as jury duty goes... I have never served, though called MANY times... maybe I'm too combative and logical, and now I'm ineligible for Jury Duty.

    One (of several) examples...

    During a voir dire (for a SERIOUS crime) a defense attorney tried to discredit the word of a policeman asking if his word were any more credible than any one else? I raised my hand and said yes. When I was asked why...

    I asked him..."You get a ticket for speeding REALLY fast and elect a trial, during it you say you did not do it, the policeman says you did, given the absence of other witnesses who are they going to believe?"

    The Judge said "You can be held in contempt of court for that remark"

    I said, "The defense attorney asked me, I answered honestly so I am NOT in contempt of court"

    We were all dismissed and I was never called again.

  20. #19
    The biggest probem I have with Eastmans, is that they don't have much 'weight' to the sound for me anyway... I played two and they were good, but for some reason they just don't have that oomph, I will probably end up getting some Ibanez cheapie or an Epiphone 175, it's funny, I played them, they were good (the Eastmans) but I just don't need that sound in my arsenal.. there is an Ibanez AF75 for super cheap nearby, so I may jump on that, even though the finish is fugly

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Jury duty has been my lifelong dream, because my job pays for it. Not only would I get to ditch my graveyard hours, but I can show up at 9, have a break, a 90 min lunch, another break and be out by 3?

    But since we don't have a "jury of your peers" thing in America, I get bounced pretty fast. I made alternate one only because I was one of the last in the room and they ran out of warm bodies, but the case was dismissed because the cops were shady.

    As for Eastman, I think a lot are pretty. Wouldn't mind a try. Admire all the fixings they put into them. Came really close to getting one of their acoustics this year, the aged slope shoulder one.