Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 51
  1. #1

    User Info Menu


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I don't need another amp...
    I don't need another amp...

    I want a blonde Fender Tone Master Twin amp!


  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    The Blondes are really nice looking. I have the 2005 40th anniversary edition '65 Blonde Twin Reverb. Came with GE power tubes made on the original GE factory equipment and special edition speakers (brown backs). Probably my best sounding amp, but the wheat grill cloth is what makes it so cool... to me.

    Fender introduces new Blonde Tone Master amps-blonde-jpg

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    The Blondes are really nice looking. I have the 2005 40th anniversary edition '65 Blonde Twin Reverb. Came with GE power tubes made on the original GE factory equipment and special edition speakers (brown backs). Probably my best sounding amp, but the wheat grill cloth is what makes it so cool... to me.

    Fender introduces new Blonde Tone Master amps-blonde-jpg
    Would that work for someone who’s gluten-intolerant? Just wondering...

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Those aesthetics are okay, but I would rather see the Fender marketing guys bring us a Tone Master Princeton than dabbling with cab coverings.

  7. #6
    Tone Master Princeton would be nice but Tone Master Bassman and Tone Master Tweed Deluxe would really make a huge buzz. Especially if they do as good a job with them as the blackface Tone Masters in terms of replicating the tube versions.

    I wonder how much they can bring the weight of the 4x10 Bassman's with neodymium speakers. Shouldn't get heavier than Tone Master Twins I suppose.

  8. #7
    Actually someone made a poll asking which amp people would like the see most next in the Tone Master line. Bassman and Princeton got the most votes.
    Quite surprisingly some people even voted for Tone Master Champ and Blues Junior. Seriously people! My Champ is already lighter than my guitars.

    If Fender made more tonemaster amps, which one would you want it to be ? | Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    If the worldwide tube production continues to decline, then Tone Master Champs, and Princetons may be great options for Fender.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    “did away with the bright tone cap” - what does that mean?

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    “did away with the bright tone cap” - what does that mean?
    Fender tube amp channels with a "Middle" tone control have a switch "Bright" for a capacitor on the volume control.
    The amps without a "Middle" tone control don't have a switch, but they do have the brightness capacitor just like the others but it is always "on set to bright". In all amps the effect of the brightness cap fades away as you increase rotation of the volume control, and its effect is gone at about half way up.

    Some remove this capacitor on the Deluxe Reverb (I did on mine, just snipped one leg) to darken the tone for quiet playing below the amp volume control at half way up. Others just crank the volume up to "6" to defeat the bright cap and reduce the output level at the guitar... (the bright cap is defeated by rotation position of the amp volume knob (or the switch if present), not sound level.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Not that I've every played them in real life, but amplitube tells me that me and my guitars very much prefer tweeds to black faces. Especially the hollow bodies. They are less scooped, less plain and more interesting, in my limited observation.

    Oh, wait. These are blondes, not tweeds. Aside from the speakers, are there any substantial differences? Or is it mostly cosmetics?

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    So new that Fender's website didn't know the blondes this morning. Wonder if the speaker swap from Jensens into Celestions applies to the black ones, too. If, it's quite a blow to SICA/Jensen, who developed a special vintage-y Neo version for the Tonemasters. To have more rock-oriented speakers on blondes only would sound strange. On my (non-exhaustive) ladder of 12" Neo speakers, Classic Tornado still reigns supreme, and Lil'Texas also gets high marks, while the Neo Creamback offers less of everything. If the overwhelming criterion is heavily distorted sound, it's almost like choosing a camera lens by its Bokeh (out-of-focus) qualities only. I hope that, despite these Covid times, some serious jazz players will have a chance to test the blondes and report their findings.

    If Fender were to launch a Princeton Tonemaster, the 10", 100W Tornado would be a great speaker choice.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feet
    Not that I've every played them in real life, but amplitube tells me that me and my guitars very much prefer tweeds to black faces. Especially the hollow bodies. They are less scooped, less plain and more interesting, in my limited observation.

    Oh, wait. These are blondes, not tweeds. Aside from the speakers, are there any substantial differences? Or is it mostly cosmetics?
    Not only cosmetics, but not tweeds either. There is some extra modifications to the BF basic: Celestion Neo Creambacks instead of Jensen Neo Tornados and:

    Additionally, they include an improved reverb control, offering easier fine-tuning at lower settings.The new editions also feature new IR cabinet simulations, captured with Shure SM57 and Sennheiser MD421 microphones.”

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    The bright cap can be defeated on the ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb in the same way as the original Deluxe Reverb - by plugging into Channel 1 (no bright cap) and channel-jumping into Channel 2 (vibrato channel with bright cap capacitor). Well documented on different sites.....

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    The bright cap can be defeated on the ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb in the same way as the original Deluxe Reverb - by plugging into Channel 1 (no bright cap) and channel-jumping into Channel 2 (vibrato channel with bright cap capacitor). Well documented on different sites.....
    Your signal will be out of phase then afaik....

  17. #16
    I think these models are more a marketing trickery. The undefeatable bright cap and abrupt reverb knob were common complaints. Instead of fixing them and releasing Tone Master V2's, they are branding them as more rock oriented Tone Masters. I wonder if they will release a firmware update for the existing models.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    a tone master 1 x 15 combo of some sort would be a good thing ....

    best sounding fender combo combo i ever played was a fender 75

    monster huge clean sound

    (just me then .... sniff)

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    It's a shame they are not blonde ERA(circuit) amps, only blonde tolex.... I want a TM Blonde 6G6 Bassman....

    And that reminds me, I still need to try that Stapleton 6G2...

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Even better, the road worn tele is back!

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Since I have a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, I cannot help but wonder if there are any firmware upgrades in its future.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    I'd like to see a Tone Master Head version of the DR or Twin. Also, give it 4ohm, 8ohm and 16ohm inputs in the rear.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    Since I have a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, I cannot help but wonder if there are any firmware upgrades in its future.
    was on the Fender site yesterday and could not find any updates for my ToneMaster. The improved reverb control for the Blondes is surely firmware.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    Since I have a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, I cannot help but wonder if there are any firmware upgrades in its future.
    Me too - I assume getting rid of the bright cap in the Vibrato channel was a firmware mod - I'd like to hear the difference.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    a tone master 1 x 15 combo of some sort would be a good thing ....

    best sounding fender combo combo i ever played was a fender 75

    monster huge clean sound

    (just me then .... sniff)
    I used a Fender 75 head and matching 4 -10 cab back in the eighties and it was a great amp.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    It looks like the prices are up compared to the original Tonemasters. I'd love to see some A-B comparisons. These are tempting in general. I'm still muddling through with my collection of tube amps but someday maybe.

    Fender announces new Tone Master Deluxe and Twin Reverb models in blonde - gearnews.com

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Over on the Gear Page a Fender rep has confirmed that firmware upgrades will shortly be available for earlier ToneMasters - specifically for bypassing the bright cap and also giving greater control smaller amounts of of reverb. I hope they add an update for slower speed tremolo.....

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    If the worldwide tube production continues to decline, then Tone Master Champs, and Princetons may be great options for Fender.
    I was wondering about this. I bet the TMDR and TMTR has the same hardware, the same computer, inside. That may be one reason there is only a $100 difference between the two. As TM models get smaller, the price wouldn't scale down because of this. So I suspect a Deluxe combo is going to be the smallest version, unless they come out with a head.

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feet
    Not that I've every played them in real life, but amplitube tells me that me and my guitars very much prefer tweeds to black faces. Especially the hollow bodies. They are less scooped, less plain and more interesting, in my limited observation.

    Oh, wait. These are blondes, not tweeds. Aside from the speakers, are there any substantial differences? Or is it mostly cosmetics?
    There were no Twin Reverbs or Deluxe Reverbs in original brown/blond amp era. These were both introduced in the blackface era (there were non reverb Twins and Deluxes, but these were different amps). So unless they're modeling amps that never existed as standard Fender models I think these have to be just cosmetic differences (except for the speakers).

    John

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    These are not blonde CIRCUIT amps... they are blackface CIRCUIT amps, covered in blonde tolex.

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
    Over on the Gear Page a Fender rep has confirmed that firmware upgrades will shortly be available for earlier ToneMasters - specifically for bypassing the bright cap and also giving greater control smaller amounts of of reverb. I hope they add an update for slower speed tremolo.....
    That's great news!
    I really love my TM DR - my only criticisms of it would be the vibrato channel is very bright. I wasn't shocked by this as this is exactly how the tube version sounded too. If they can bypass the bright cap, I won't have to ride the tone control on my guitars quite so much.

    The other thing they could consider at some point is a firmware mod to give the 'normal' channel reverb and tremolo. Then the bright cap can be retained. That would be very useful.

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    That's great news!
    I really love my TM DR - my only criticisms of it would be the vibrato channel is very bright. I wasn't shocked by this as this is exactly how the tube version sounded too. If they can bypass the bright cap, I won't have to ride the tone control on my guitars quite so much.

    The other thing they could consider at some point is a firmware mod to give the 'normal' channel reverb and tremolo. Then the bright cap can be retained. That would be very useful.
    I wonder -- is there an actual, physical, bright cap, or is it in the software?

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    These are not blonde CIRCUIT amps... they are blackface CIRCUIT amps, covered in blonde tolex.
    Not so much circuit as software that simulates the circuit.

    I understand "plug and play", but how cool would it be for there to be a knob on the back that let you choose tweed, brownface or blackface? It would just point to different code.

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Not so much circuit as software that simulates the circuit.

    I understand "plug and play", but how cool would it be for there to be a knob on the back that let you choose tweed, brownface or blackface? It would just point to different code.
    Wouldn’t that be about a Fender Mustang modeler amp?

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Wouldn’t that be about a Fender Mustang modeler amp?
    B-but there are new, and impoved!

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Not so much circuit as software that simulates the circuit.
    Well, obviously. Blackface circuit TONE, if you like.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    I understand "plug and play", but how cool would it be for there to be a knob on the back that let you choose tweed, brownface or blackface? It would just point to different code.
    I'd love that, but Fender will never make it- because it'll obsolete most of their amp line LOL

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    Crazy prices for a Chinese made amp with no record of longevity. But I remember people paying $4000 (in 1990's dollars) for a 286 Computer without a hard drive.

    The day I cannot carry my 1964 Princeton is the day that guitar amps will be of little concern.

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I think these models are more a marketing trickery. The undefeatable bright cap and abrupt reverb knob were common complaints. Instead of fixing them and releasing Tone Master V2's, they are branding them as more rock oriented Tone Masters. I wonder if they will release a firmware update for the existing models.
    I just watched Anderson video and there will be firmware update for the older models if you wish to change.

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    So just in time for No Gigs available Anywhere! LOL!

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    They compare the blonde to the black tone master deluxe:


  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    Hey guys,

    I have just downloaded the firmware update for my Fender TM Deluxe Reverb.
    I have tried all the three possibilities and I like the vibrato channel with the modded reverb (with the bright cap) the most.

    Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Firmware Upgrade Procedure – Fender

  42. #41

    User Info Menu

    pity they dont give the firmware of the blonde so you can have the line out with the celestion speaker on the black one.
    Could give you both options. Mic the jensen and line out for the celestion.
    But the more i read about / hear these amps, the more i think i need one. And i have a 74 deluxe reverb.
    The only thing that keeps me from buying one is that i’m sure they’ll release a princeton reverb a month after i buy one.

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    I just installed the firmware update for the Twin. Nice to have a more gradual reverb increase. The hardest part about the update was finding the USB port.

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave93
    Hey guys,

    I have just downloaded the firmware update for my Fender TM Deluxe Reverb.
    I have tried all the three possibilities and I like the vibrato channel with the modded reverb (with the bright cap) the most.

    Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Firmware Upgrade Procedure – Fender
    I am getting ready to update mine. Just curious why you preferred the update with the bright cap. (Not challenging you choice, just trying to decide which way to proceed)

  45. #44

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    I am getting ready to update mine. Just curious why you preferred the update with the bright cap. (Not challenging you choice, just trying to decide which way to proceed)
    I think it sounds “fuller” with my guitar, I tried the two different update, the reverb is a really good improvement and I like better the bright cap version.
    Try the two different options yourself (it is really simple and fast), decide what you like the most and then let me know what you like!

  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    Updated the Twin firmware, easy, much improved reverb control.

    Also updated the firmware on the Boss Katana. Stopped updating it a couple of years ago because it did what I needed. Stopped playing it a couple of months ago because the ToneMaster Twin and Mesa Rosette are better. Sold it to my truck driver buddy who’s back in town. Updated the firmware to the latest for him. What a PITA compared to the Fender.

  47. #46

    User Info Menu

    I'll update my TMDR later today - thanks for posting this information
    Ray

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    If they do a Tonemaster Princeton Reverb with a 12" and 45-65 watts, I'd get one!

  49. #48

    User Info Menu

    Thank you for the link. I am going to download the reverb sensitivity mod. Currently anything past the "2" setting sounds like Dick Dale to me.
    This is really strange to me. Instead of swapping out to a lower gain tube I now download an app.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave93 View Post
    Hey guys,

    I have just downloaded the firmware update for my Fender TM Deluxe Reverb.
    I have tried all the three possibilities and I like the vibrato channel with the modded reverb (with the bright cap) the most.

    Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Firmware Upgrade Procedure – Fender

  50. #49

    User Info Menu

    Finally found some time to update the firmware. I chose the no bright caps option. So far I love the tone and the "tamed" reverb beast! I may try the other version, but so far I like the jazzy tone I am getting. Nice rich tone and not overly bright.

  51. #50

    User Info Menu

    Funny that Fender's own site still knows nothing on the blondes. According to the magazine article, they will be available from September 17. Good that the firmware updates are already there. The Celestions will change the character quite a bit. They're a tad lighter than the Jensens, too. But why blonde, which is associated with acoustic amps? Tweed would have looked cool and jazzy. Perhaps this is just the dawning of a new era, with a palette of models and attires in the pipeline.