The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

Over on the Gear Page a Fender rep has confirmed that firmware upgrades will shortly be available for earlier ToneMasters - specifically for bypassing the bright cap and also giving greater control smaller amounts of of reverb. I hope they add an update for slower speed tremolo.....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    If the worldwide tube production continues to decline, then Tone Master Champs, and Princetons may be great options for Fender.
    I was wondering about this. I bet the TMDR and TMTR has the same hardware, the same computer, inside. That may be one reason there is only a $100 difference between the two. As TM models get smaller, the price wouldn't scale down because of this. So I suspect a Deluxe combo is going to be the smallest version, unless they come out with a head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    Not that I've every played them in real life, but amplitube tells me that me and my guitars very much prefer tweeds to black faces. Especially the hollow bodies. They are less scooped, less plain and more interesting, in my limited observation.

Oh, wait. These are blondes, not tweeds. Aside from the speakers, are there any substantial differences? Or is it mostly cosmetics?
    There were no Twin Reverbs or Deluxe Reverbs in original brown/blond amp era. These were both introduced in the blackface era (there were non reverb Twins and Deluxes, but these were different amps). So unless they're modeling amps that never existed as standard Fender models I think these have to be just cosmetic differences (except for the speakers).

John

User Info Menu

These are not blonde CIRCUIT amps... they are blackface CIRCUIT amps, covered in blonde tolex.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    Over on the Gear Page a Fender rep has confirmed that firmware upgrades will shortly be available for earlier ToneMasters - specifically for bypassing the bright cap and also giving greater control smaller amounts of of reverb. I hope they add an update for slower speed tremolo.....
    That's great news!
    I really love my TM DR - my only criticisms of it would be the vibrato channel is very bright. I wasn't shocked by this as this is exactly how the tube version sounded too. If they can bypass the bright cap, I won't have to ride the tone control on my guitars quite so much.

The other thing they could consider at some point is a firmware mod to give the 'normal' channel reverb and tremolo. Then the bright cap can be retained. That would be very useful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    That's great news!
    I really love my TM DR - my only criticisms of it would be the vibrato channel is very bright. I wasn't shocked by this as this is exactly how the tube version sounded too. If they can bypass the bright cap, I won't have to ride the tone control on my guitars quite so much.

The other thing they could consider at some point is a firmware mod to give the 'normal' channel reverb and tremolo. Then the bright cap can be retained. That would be very useful.
    I wonder -- is there an actual, physical, bright cap, or is it in the software?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    These are not blonde CIRCUIT amps... they are blackface CIRCUIT amps, covered in blonde tolex.
    Not so much circuit as software that simulates the circuit.

I understand "plug and play", but how cool would it be for there to be a knob on the back that let you choose tweed, brownface or blackface? It would just point to different code.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles

I understand "plug and play", but how cool would it be for there to be a knob on the back that let you choose tweed, brownface or blackface? It would just point to different code.
    Wouldn’t that be about a Fender Mustang modeler amp?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Wouldn’t that be about a Fender Mustang modeler amp?
    B-but there are new, and impoved!

User Info Menu

Well, obviously. Blackface circuit TONE, if you like.

I'd love that, but Fender will never make it- because it'll obsolete most of their amp line LOL

User Info Menu

Crazy prices for a Chinese made amp with no record of longevity. But I remember people paying $4000 (in 1990's dollars) for a 286 Computer without a hard drive.

The day I cannot carry my 1964 Princeton is the day that guitar amps will be of little concern.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I think these models are more a marketing trickery. The undefeatable bright cap and abrupt reverb knob were common complaints. Instead of fixing them and releasing Tone Master V2's, they are branding them as more rock oriented Tone Masters. I wonder if they will release a firmware update for the existing models.
    I just watched Anderson video and there will be firmware update for the older models if you wish to change.

User Info Menu

So just in time for No Gigs available Anywhere! LOL!

User Info Menu

They compare the blonde to the black tone master deluxe:

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

I have just downloaded the firmware update for my Fender TM Deluxe Reverb.
    I have tried all the three possibilities and I like the vibrato channel with the modded reverb (with the bright cap) the most.

Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Firmware Upgrade Procedure – Fender

User Info Menu

pity they dont give the firmware of the blonde so you can have the line out with the celestion speaker on the black one.
    Could give you both options. Mic the jensen and line out for the celestion.
    But the more i read about / hear these amps, the more i think i need one. And i have a 74 deluxe reverb.
    The only thing that keeps me from buying one is that i’m sure they’ll release a princeton reverb a month after i buy one.

User Info Menu

I just installed the firmware update for the Twin. Nice to have a more gradual reverb increase. The hardest part about the update was finding the USB port.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave93
    Hey guys,

I have tried all the three possibilities and I like the vibrato channel with the modded reverb (with the bright cap) the most.

I am getting ready to update mine. Just curious why you preferred the update with the bright cap. (Not challenging you choice, just trying to decide which way to proceed)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    I am getting ready to update mine. Just curious why you preferred the update with the bright cap. (Not challenging you choice, just trying to decide which way to proceed)
    I think it sounds “fuller” with my guitar, I tried the two different update, the reverb is a really good improvement and I like better the bright cap version.
    Try the two different options yourself (it is really simple and fast), decide what you like the most and then let me know what you like!

User Info Menu

Updated the Twin firmware, easy, much improved reverb control.

Also updated the firmware on the Boss Katana. Stopped updating it a couple of years ago because it did what I needed. Stopped playing it a couple of months ago because the ToneMaster Twin and Mesa Rosette are better. Sold it to my truck driver buddy who’s back in town. Updated the firmware to the latest for him. What a PITA compared to the Fender.

User Info Menu

I'll update my TMDR later today - thanks for posting this information
    Ray

User Info Menu

If they do a Tonemaster Princeton Reverb with a 12" and 45-65 watts, I'd get one!

User Info Menu

Thank you for the link. I am going to download the reverb sensitivity mod. Currently anything past the "2" setting sounds like Dick Dale to me.
    This is really strange to me. Instead of swapping out to a lower gain tube I now download an app.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave93
    Hey guys,

User Info Menu

Finally found some time to update the firmware. I chose the no bright caps option. So far I love the tone and the "tamed" reverb beast! I may try the other version, but so far I like the jazzy tone I am getting. Nice rich tone and not overly bright.

User Info Menu

Funny that Fender's own site still knows nothing on the blondes. According to the magazine article, they will be available from September 17. Good that the firmware updates are already there. The Celestions will change the character quite a bit. They're a tad lighter than the Jensens, too. But why blonde, which is associated with acoustic amps? Tweed would have looked cool and jazzy. Perhaps this is just the dawning of a new era, with a palette of models and attires in the pipeline.